Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Member2010

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
interesting

Ugh, huh. And what exactly have you explained besides stating WP is a copy of iOS without providing proof? :rolleyes:

I actually only explained how 7/8 Series is an IOS copy, if you'd read :p.

Sorry, metro is a rush job. While metro is great for lite apps, it's very inefficient for heavy apps. Microsoft purchased this design btw for the Zune.

Wasn't it also originally built for media centers and navigation with a TV remote?

On windows phone while in certain apps you can tell just how inefficient metro really is. Swiping multiple times just to reach information is very cumbersome. Apps become too much text, and makes me hate my Lumia. The solid colors, especially menu buttons are horrendous to me.

On the desktop its even worse.

Finally another voice of truth! :D

Metro Instructions:
"Remove from wrapper - place directly in toilet"

attachment.php

The biggest problem I've always had with MS is that they're really damn inconsistent. Win8 isn't the best place to judge Metro because it's really not the best implementation of it. This is doubly true if you're not using a touchscreen device. And even there, the Metro apps there aren't nearly as good as the equivalent Metro web apps, or the ones on the phone. You'd think that if they could do it well in one place, they could do it well in all of them, but they don't. Dunno why.

Using Windows 8 on a "non touchscreen", I can't see how having a touchscreen could make it work any better or make it any less fugly.

I'd pay that. Most of the issues I've had with win8 have been consistency related between metro->classic and the fact that there's no real windows 8 metro apps to get anything I want done.

That's because they're basically all links to webpages played outside of a browser. ;) Does anybody actually even use the start menu applications? I actually installed this thing that makes the big start menu go away altogether and puts the normal Windows 7 start menu in instead.

::

Attachments

• 3413584868_64b9703fb7_z.png
    3413584868_64b9703fb7_z.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 169
Last edited:

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
You explained little and dodged plenty of questions. :rolleyes:

WP is obviously a copy of iOS. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't call it a UI copy , but the principle is a copy. Lock down the OS, we pick what we want you to have on your phone mentality.

Problem is, Windows Phone ecosystem is poor. Very poor.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
That's the way console manufacturers set up their systems. Hell, it's about the same way admin/user accounts have worked on desktop OSes for centuries now. The basic idea is an old one.

Thank you sir. IIRC Nintendo required a license for their "Nintendo Seal of Approval" and access to the 10NES chip to keep the ET-level crappy games from appearing on the NES.

Not that the NES didn't have it's share of bad games, but ET on the Atari is epic-level awful. I think that's the only game that had millions of copies buried in a landfill.

Member2010

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
photo and clarification

You explained little and dodged plenty of questions. :rolleyes:

WP is obviously a copy of iOS. :rolleyes:

What do you mean? You kept posting and kept posting, so I had to keep replying to clarify why things were what they were. Let me help you out a bit with that photo:

attachment.php

I wouldn't call it a UI copy , but the principle is a copy. Lock down the OS, we pick what we want you to have on your phone mentality.

Problem is, Windows Phone ecosystem is poor. Very poor.

Very Very Poor :D

Thank you sir. IIRC Nintendo required a license for their "Nintendo Seal of Approval" and access to the 10NES chip to keep the ET-level crappy games from appearing on the NES.

Not that the NES didn't have it's share of bad games, but ET on the Atari is epic-level awful. I think that's the only game that had millions of copies buried in a landfill.

Good call. I heard they're trying to do a documentary about digging those cartridges up. Maybe the rest of the copies of Windows 8 will be laid to rest in that same spot after they find they can't give away those eyesores :).

Attachments

• comparephoto.png
    comparephoto.png
    209.1 KB · Views: 154

Renzatic

Suspended
What do you mean? You kept posting and kept posting, so I had to keep replying to clarify why things were what they were. Let me help you out a bit with that photo

This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my entire life. What you're saying is that WP is a blatant copy of iOS...if you assume iOS did the same things WP does.

At this point, I think you're posting just because you don't want to give up and admit you don't have an argument.

Member2010

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
win

And it looks like my argument still stands! :)

This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my entire life. What you're saying is that WP is a blatant copy of iOS...if you assume iOS did the same things WP does.

At this point, I think you're posting just because you don't want to give up and admit you don't have an argument.

Let's calm the grumbles down a bit. On the contrary, to wrap this up, I'd like to say that not only did I have an argument, but a winning one; infact, with that brilliant picture that I mocked up (in paint no less:D), I think I've proven that you're the one with no argument. :p

Renzatic

Suspended
Let's calm the grumbles down a bit. On the contrary, to wrap this up, I'd like to say that not only did I have an argument, but a winning one; infact, with that brilliant picture that I mocked up (in paint no less:D), I think I've proven that you're the one with no argument.

So what did MS rip off? Icons? In a grid? That follow the same layout after a little MS Paint editing?

Using your logic, if MS ripped off Apple, then Apple ripped off Palm.

palm_.jpg

You have no argument.

Member2010

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
followup reply

So what did MS rip off? Icons? In a grid? That follow the same layout after a little MS Paint editing?

Using your logic, if MS ripped off Apple, then Apple ripped off Palm.

You have no argument.

Have some patience - grumbles are not the answer. Now you posted that picture because you think that I think that Microsoft copied Palm's original design, but this is actually not true. Microsoft actually just poorly copied apple's iPhone experience.

attachment.php

You proved that LT was right.

Since you're obviously on something and seeing things, where did you find a dock on Windows Phone?

You shouldn't accuse people of that kind of thing, especially when you know it might not be true. In this case, it's not, and you once again find yourself with no argument.

Thanks for your inquiries :p. I've gotta start keeping a folder for all the pictures I "Paint" up for ya'all, this is getting fun. :D

Attachments

• illustration.png
    illustration.png
    110.7 KB · Views: 128

Member2010

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
You didn't answer my question. So where's the dock on Windows Phone? Obviously, you're making stuff up or seeing stuff.

Your question included a dependency on my use of substances rendering it null and void :D. However, assuming you meant to say,

duffman9000 said:
Since I'm obviously on something and seeing things, where did you find a dock on Windows Phone?

, my answer would have been that I was looking at the little rectangle at the bottom of the screen. Either way, it's just more icons weather they're stuck there or not; they don't make much difference.

Yeah, I think you're just baiting us for replies now.

PROPZ ON YOUR MAD PAINT SKILLZ THO!

You know, I was starting to think the same thing. I get tired of signing in sometimes and seeing replies in this thread. If you'd stop making messes, I wouldn't have to keep coming in and cleaning them up :(.

I close with this Paint-generated photo:
attachment.php

Thank you.

Attachments

• illustration 2.0.png
    illustration 2.0.png
    331.8 KB · Views: 125

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
The Nokia 808 PureView was out for quite some time now, but it wasn't released in North America.

It's also got a 41 megapixel camera that features PureView technology which allows up to 5x better low-light photos than other smartphones. If I'm not mistaken, it's also got Carl Zeiss lenses as well. And believe me, both the video quality and picture quality are superior to that of the iPhone. Of course, it's running the terrifyingly awful Symbian OS. The phone is good only for the camera, apparently from what I hear, opening applications on it are like molasses.

I assume that this new Windows Phone will either be the same or very similar in terms of camera sensors. I'd get it because I'm usually looking for a phone with a good camera, but I've already gotten the iPhone 5. It takes great photos, but for some odd reason they're never in full 8 megapixel resolution, I really don't know why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.