Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Bioshock Infinitie is far more linear than Bioshock 1 and 2. The story is great buts its not as deep as Bioshock 1 and 2 IMO but those were more like adventure games. The selection of strategies in B:I is similar to options in the COD series (e.g. bombing).

Also, the use of just a few weapons is similar to COD. To be fair though, having 8 plasmids and 8 weapons in BS:2 with 3 types of ammo each was a bit much.

BTW, I never said I liked COD better - I don't own COD, I have only played it at a chums house. I like haddock though.

Nothing wrong with linear games as long as the atmosphere is good, good mechanics and there is a good story (e.g. Half-Life 2, Infintie). I am just saying its a different experience to Bioshock 1 and 2.

Indeed, Bioshock Infintie is probably one of the best looking games I own. Its art is awesome and the character models (esp faces) are the best I have seen in a game. Sound on my 5.1 is epic, Bioshock 1 and 2 has epic sound effects but I found it quite buggy sometimes.

It is a different experience, but I think it's a change for the positive. For one, I don't find the BS1 or BS2 to be all that non-linear. Also, BS1 was way too full of fetch quests, and it ruined the pacing of the game (especially at the end).

I don't really think the combat is all that close to CoD. The bombing mechanic is only in the one battle, right? Unless you count using tears to bring automatons or turrets to life (which I thought made for some dynamic battles unlike anything else I'd seen in a game, much less a cookie cutter series like CoD). And the "only a few weapons at a time" mechanic definitely predates the CoD series. It at least goes back to Halo, probably further.

Completely agree with you on singing it's praises, though. I guess we just have to respectfully disagree on the CoD stuff. :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Quake Wars is my all-time top FPS. But be warned: you can play single-player (and it's fun) but it's not a story--you're just playing with teams of bots. Better to play online--there are still servers running, just not as many.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
It would be worth it for the Ken Levine interview alone. Great find!

I'm proud to say I was one of the many who voted for SS2 on the GOG wishlist. And don't believe what they say for the Mac OS X system requirements; the game runs perfectly at full 32-bit 1280x800 resolution on a GMA 950*** MacBook in either 10.6.8 or 10.7.5. The catch is that you have to make your own "port" by installing the game in either Wineskin or CrossOver.

***This applies to the vanilla release; if you want to add high-res texture mods like SHTUP, you'll need to ratchet down the graphics settings accordingly.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I'm proud to say I was one of the many who voted for SS2 on the GOG wishlist. And don't believe what they say for the Mac OS X system requirements; the game runs perfectly at full 32-bit 1280x800 resolution on a GMA 950*** MacBook in either 10.6.8 or 10.7.5. The catch is that you have to make your own "port" by installing the game in either Wineskin or CrossOver.

***This applies to the vanilla release; if you want to add high-res texture mods like SHTUP, you'll need to ratchet down the graphics settings accordingly.

I've never done wineskin ports before in my life. Are all the games at GoG that way?

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I've never done wineskin ports before in my life. Are all the games at GoG that way?

Pretty much all of GOG's ports that aren't either (a) DOS games using a massively modified version of Boxer, or (b) native indie games provided by the developer are "ports" done by wrapping the the Windows executables within a WINE wrapper. I don't know if they used Wineskin, specifically; I haven't actually bothered to check.

What I do know is that their use of WINE isn't as tight as it could be; their port of Ground Control 2: Operation Exodus, for example, is unplayable on a GMA 950 MacBook. However, when I made and tweaked my own WINE wrapper using Wineskin, I got it to run quite well with modest graphical settings.

System Shock 2 is another example; out of the box, I can play the Windows version within a Wineskin wrapper flawlessly on hardware/software that is far less than the listed requirements for the official Mac version.

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
You can only pretend to be an "expert" if you can at least name the Mac FPS classics!

Where's Unreal Tournament??
Unreal Tournament 2003?
Unreal Tournament 2k4?
Red Faction?
Marathon 1/2/3?

Get the Steam client, and search for games by Valve (e.g. Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, etc.) but oh, boy, do I have a list for you (it's sadly not alphabetized or in any order, just what comes to mind) so get ready. You will not believe how many of these I've played/own.

Garry's Mod
Half-Life
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Half-Life 2: Episode 1
Half-Life 2: Episode 2
Half-Life 2: Episode 3 (if it's ever released)
Halo: Combat Evolved (only way is by torrent, ask me about it if you want to know more)
{Doom}
{Doom 2: Hell on Earth} - both need free source port to run (I recommend the Brütal Doom mod for both games)
Doom 3
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3
Quake 4
Counter-Strike
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
Counter-Strike: Source
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition
Shadow Warrior Classic
Receiver
HaloMD
Ace of Spades
Ace of Spades alpha (far superior to the retail, find the 0.75 standalone port and instructions on how to join servers)
Cube
Cube 2: Sauerbraten
Red Eclipse
Nexuiz
RELOCK
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Bioshock Infinite (when the mac port comes out next month)
Borderlands
Borderlands 2
SickBrick
Nazi Zombies: Portable
Insurgency 2 (called INSURGENCY on Steam, it is early access)
Postal 2
Serious Sam 3: BFE
OpenArena
Xonotic
UrbanTerror
Sanctum
Cod of Duty (OGM BEST GAEM EVAR HURR HURR HURR)
Nuclear Dawn
Red Crucible 2
BlackRose
AssaultCube
AssaultCube Reloaded (standalone port)
WarSow
ÜberStrike
Modern Combat: Domination (don't get this, it's a bad Counter-Strike ripoff)
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45
Killing Floor
Day of Defeat (says it is PC only on Steam, but on the Steam page it also says Mac & Linux)
Day of Defeat: Source
Call of Duty: Black Ops - Mac Edition
Call of Duty
Call of Duty 2
The Darkness 2
Ricochet
Deathmatch Classic
Duke Nukem Forever (not very good)
Team Fortress Classic
Team Fortress 2
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

That's all I can think of right now. Only 74 FPS games for Mac... that's actually quite a lot. I've played only 45 of them, so I'm not sure if some of the others are any good Well, here you go. I'll recommend these before I go:

Anything by Valve (Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress, Deathmatch Classic, etc.)
Bioshock (Series)
Call of Duty (Series)
Nuclear Dawn
Insurgency 2
UrbanTerror
Borderlands (Series)
Garry's Mod
Doom (Series)
Quake (Series)
Halo: Combat Evolved

Red Cube

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2013
Iowa
You can only pretend to be an "expert" if you can at least name the Mac FPS classics!

Where's Unreal Tournament??
Unreal Tournament 2003?
Unreal Tournament 2k4?
Red Faction?
Marathon 1/2/3?

Sorry, I forgot those, even though I've played UT2k4 and the Marathon series. Keep in mind these were all off the top of my head.

I didn't say I was an "expert" either. I know a lot about First Person Shooters for the Mac, but I am nothing close to an expert. I just play too many of them.

Jonnym

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2008
You can now add Americas Army 2.5 to this list. Its now a universal binary..
Download here: aa25.org

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.