Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
United States
I have a webview set up and working.

The problem is, is that Java does not work (and is not even detected) on any webpages requiring Java.

I use http://www.java.com/verify to check for Java. It's not detected when using my webview. However, on Firefox and Safari Java works fine. I have Java installed on my computer (obviously) and also double-checked the Java preferences to make sure Java in web browsers is enabled.

Yet, Java will not run in my webview.

I have searched for a good couple of hours now and could not find a single thing relating to this issue.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Shane

grillhaehnchen

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2010
Unfortunately I don't have a solution. But I do have the same problem. This problem started at the time when Apple started to disable java in the MacOS for security reasons, so users are forced to update the java engine. But even after updating java, only safari seems be be able to use java again, not my program.

So I guess it's apple's fault that java won't work anymore.

grillhaehnchen

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2010
What architectures are you running? Java 7 is not available in 32-bit form.

It's a standard 64/32 Bit universal App. It doesn't matter if it is running in 32 or 64 Bit mode, Java is never working. The only difference is that in 32 Bit mode, it shows me the message "Missing plugin" where the Applet is supposed to show, and in 64 Bit mode, there's only an empty space.

grillhaehnchen

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2010
OK, but you are not, for example, blocking some resource loads?

No. And as I said above, before Apple started to deactivate Java in the MacOS, everything world just fine. So I can only assume that the whole issue has something to do with Apple's attempts to block Java. Apple allows Java to be unblocked in Safari, but it looks like this is not possible for other webKit based Apps.

Even Safari is unable to unlock "signed/secure" Java Applets, if I need to access those Applets, I first have to visit a site with an unsigned java applet and unblock Java here, then I can use the signed Java applet of the other site...

But for normal WebView objects, Java never works anymore even the unsigned ones.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
No. And as I said above, before Apple started to deactivate Java in the MacOS, everything world just fine. So I can only assume that the whole issue has something to do with Apple's attempts to block Java. Apple allows Java to be unblocked in Safari, but it looks like this is not possible for other webKit based Apps.

Even Safari is unable to unlock "signed/secure" Java Applets, if I need to access those Applets, I first have to visit a site with an unsigned java applet and unblock Java here, then I can use the signed Java applet of the other site...

But for normal WebView objects, Java never works anymore even the unsigned ones.

OK, this is going to sound odd but it's worked for me when Safari has stopped loading Java. Have you tried simply rebooting?

grillhaehnchen

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2010
OK, this is going to sound odd but it's worked for me when Safari has stopped loading Java. Have you tried simply rebooting?

I've rebooted may times, Java just doesn't work in my "WebView"-based App anymore, even if it works in Safari (though even Safari has difficulties in activating Java smoothly).

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Some other things to check:

Do you have the latest Java for your OS X version?
Is the JRE past its "expiration date" - which is listed on Oracle's site?
Is the Java web plugin enabled? - this is done in either Java Preferences.app (for Snow Leopard and earlier) or the Java Preferences pref pane for Lion or newer users with Oracle Java SE 7 installed.
Also, in the same place as checking for the web plugin being enabled, also check the security settings.
Since Java 7u21 Java applets have to be signed now to work. Check that too.

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
Use at your own risk

In the Java control panel, go to 'Advanced' tab, scroll down to 'Mixed Code (sandboxed vs. trusted) security verification' and select 'Disable verification (not recommended)'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.