Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
asking for incoming permissions every time I open

Every since the upgrade yesterday I keep being asked every time I open iTunes if I want to allow incoming connections. Why?The firewall settings are green allowing incoming connections to iTunes as they always have been but I still get prompted every time I open it since upgrading yesterday. Any suggestions besides deleting and reinstalling iTunes? Would negating it out of Firewall Options and reopening iTunes add in the correct permission?

Soultosoul

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
I've only read through about half of the thread, so, sorry if these have been asked.

Started to rip from my DVD collection on my new mini. Have only completed three so far. Rip with Ripit, convert to mp4 with Handbrake. Then go into itunes and import from movies in Finder (might be a much better way to do this but I'm learning).

Worked fine for first three. After update, I ripped another DVD and imported into itunes. In the sidebar, movies shows 1, wiith a cloud icon next to it. It's greyed and I can't do anything with this (can't play or move into movies folder with the rest of the movie library). Only option is right click and it says I can export, and only option as to export destination is Finder - where I had just imported from.

Up next - cool idea, but seems psychotic on my mini :) When playing an album, sometimes the up next button will show the rest of the album and then the next album in the library. Kind of that continuous stream I'm used to. Seems normal. Other times, it picks another album from my library, seemingly at random. One album has been selected like this several times. Only way I can see it's different is it has cloud icon next to it.

Don't know how much this matters, but I don't use Match at this time and only use icloud for notes, reminders, and calender.

Any thoughts?

BobbyCat

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Beyond
OMFG... Installing 10.7 back :mad: This ***** is simple as the iPad version :eek: :confused:

Ha ha, same here. I installed iTunes 11, but was immediately horrified. :eek:
Nothing was like what I've been used to for so many years. It felt like tons of stuff was missing, and the new things didn't enhance anything for me. :(

So I replaced it by a copy of iTunes 10.7, but Mr. Cook said I wasn't allowed to do that. :confused:
What? :mad: You're talking to me?

=> I used Time Machine to restore my whole system from the last hour, and now I'm happy again with good old iTunes 10.7 :p

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Every since the upgrade yesterday I keep being asked every time I open iTunes if I want to allow incoming connections. Why?The firewall settings are green allowing incoming connections to iTunes as they always have been but I still get prompted every time I open it since upgrading yesterday. Any suggestions besides deleting and reinstalling iTunes? Would negating it out of Firewall Options and reopening iTunes add in the correct permission?

Solved it by doing the following: Settings<Security&Privacy<Firewall<Firewall Options and negated the itunes app. Then relaunched iTunes. Problem solved!

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Does anyone know where active downloads went? Where can i check on the podcasts i'm downloading after Refreshing?

Also, it's iTunes 11 and we still can't view Books on the Mac, what gives?

Aeryn

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
Does anyone know where active downloads went? Where can i check on the podcasts i'm downloading after Refreshing?
To the right of the search box, "downloads" arrow with tiny blue activity bar underneath. Clicking on the arrow opens active downloads in a separate window.

Last edited:

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I just downloaded it and checked it out.

Much ado about nothing, really.

Can't believe there were so many rumors and threads over this the past few months.

It's incidents like these that remind me why there are people who despise Apple and their fans.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
To the right of the search box, "downloads" arrow with tiny blue activity bar underneath. Clicking on the arrow opens active downloads in a separate window.

You mean this :- ?

Also, the iTunes STore "Quick Links" side bar now an overlay ...... nasty....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-01 at 12.47.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-01 at 12.47.17 PM.png
    459 KB · Views: 139
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-01 at 12.46.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-01 at 12.46.12 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 122

hetrigger

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Texas
The only issue I see is I am having problems with Quicktime...it will not open on it own when I play a video I was able to play before. Also, I can no longer open Quicktime as a stand alone. Any suggestions?

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
I'm missing some album artwork and it is telling me the artwork can't be found when I click on "Get Album Artwork"... even though it goes directly to the album in question and shows the artwork when I click on "Show in iTunes Store".

You need to edit the metadata to match that of the store for artwork to be automatic.

----------

Jony I've killed cover flow last minute, when he started his UI responsibilities.

Cover flow was quite hideous and useless. Glad I've is now managing the UI.

:)

Cover Flow is still present in iOS.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Guess what ... album artwork is still missing on iOS devices synced using Match!! :mad:

I had Match turned off on my iPhone as I'd been syncing the old way in order to get lossless tracks onto my phone. All the album artwork was there. I re-enabled Match and about 25% of it disappeared :mad:

Not only that, but I've spotted another problem that has only appeared since u/g to iTunes 11. After re-enabling Match I noticed that a couple of albums that I re-ripped as lossless showed the cloud icon, but not against any individual tracks. I confirmed that all the tracks were on the phone by putting it in Flight Mode so it couldn't stream and played all the tracks.

I then turned off Flight Mode and clicked the Cloud icon. Progress indicators appeared for about half the tracks. When it had finished, there was still only one copy of each track :confused:

Next, I disabled Match and connected my iPhone to iTunes and browsed the music on the phone - some tracks had duplicates, one lossless, the other AAC. WTF? So which one would play on the phone?

I've left Match disabled, deleted the albums with duplicate tracks, and synced the old way.

My Match renewal is due in January but I'm going to cancel it. Apple have had a year to get it working and have failed. All it does is cause problems. If they ever get it working as it should then I'll consider re-subscribing.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Thoughts

Well, besides the un-aliased launch icon (others I've tried applying have the same problem) there are things I like:

64-bit - very fast on this hardware, especially since all 23,000 songs I have are stored on another volume.

I really like the way the album list creatively comes up with a complementary look. For instance, here's my CD from the iTunes store and it came up with a look that matches:

this_is_list.jpg

But, there will always be people who aren't happy with whatever changes are made, the predominant ones work for me - speed and accessibility.

But they really need to fix that icon.

bigpics

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2002
Rockland County, New York
Don't know if anyone's answered you yet, but I found it via enabling my sidebar, then Library > Music. It ought to appear as a tab running horizontally at the top of the screen.

Thanks! Very helpful...... :eek:

And just after posting this I came across more - both helpful and tantalizing:

Some may notice the appearance of a new dedicated 'Radio' button near the top of the iTunes browser. This is interesting because in recent years radio has seemed a poor relative to the rest of the media offerings inside iTunes -- and still do:

The default collection of stations is hardly ever updated and the playback interference remains more or less the same.
The listings aren't accurate -- BBC Radio 6 Music is described as: "Classic concerts and sessions from the BBC's vast music store." Which it isn't, as this is the broadcaster's best alternative music channel.

At least one analyst believes the elevation of iTunes' Radio offering could emerge to be a placeholder for the company's much-anticipated move to launch its own streaming radio service to compete with Pandora and/or Spotify.

" Apple’s iTunes 11 has made the current generation “Radio” product far more prominent, adding it to the horizontal feature bar that runs across the top of the screen. While the service underlying that Radio button is unappealing to most consumers today, we believe the radio service can easily be updated to incorporate the functionality we envisioned in our October 2012 blog post, click here. We continue to believe an iRadio product is critical for Apple to create a local advertising/commerce strategy, tying together Maps, Passbook, Siri and a new music service (which we are calling iRadio for now)," writes BTIG analyst, Richard Greenfield.

And in fact the whole article is interesting and informative:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/desk...-speed-demon?source=CTWNLE_nlt_mac_2012-12-04

Last edited:

mg287

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
iTunes 11-But seriously who at Apple worked on that ??

Itunes 11 is a minor design enhancement, not sure why it wasn't called 10.8
We are now used to Apple changing our habits and behaviour with new versions of iTunes, I don't mind it too much except when they remove important features without bringing anything new.
Seriously how can anyone run the iTunes development team and never spent time using iTunes ?
I can't believe any regular iTunes users would forget to put back the Genius Sidebar in any new version.
It was probably their main source of revenues as it pushes you to buy more music when listening to your songs. I used it almost every day, they would have forgot to add sync between iTunes and our iPhones I wouldn't have been more shocked.
Also why getting rid of the artwork in the bottom left of the app ? it looks really boring now.
Did you also noticed you can't find duplicates any longer ?
Can Apple pay its developer to actually start working on adding features? Why can't I share my song lists with my friends ? for them to try my songs and then buy them if they like it. Can they work on better audio quality ?
Who control the process ? It seems like a team of happy developers decided on their own to work on a hobby, a hack: let's change the look of iTunes don't you think we should have a new font or a different shade of grey ? yes! yes! a different shade of grey! let's spend 3 months on that!
Apple is still very good and I'm sure still full of Geniuses but, hey guys!, don't you see you are drifting, you're loosing your commitment to deliver perfect products. Bring the rigour back!

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
I've been using iTunes 11 almost every day now. It's been amazing so far. Once you get used to it, that's it.

The ONE thing that still needs to be worked on, is the App Updates page. It's still exactly the same. Even when you scroll through it, it doesn't have that continuous 'momentum' effect. That's my one and only thing that I want them to change, make it a bit more like its iOS counterpart.

Nails1

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2010

I had the same problem with Itunes in the past year. The only thing that worked was deleting Itunes and then downloading a standalone copy (rather than through the app store). I installed that and it's been fine since. This is the only way I know of to fix it. Altering firewall settings did nothing for me.

BobbyCat

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Beyond
Also why getting rid of the artwork in the bottom left of the app ? it looks really boring now.
Did you also noticed you can't find duplicates any longer ?
Can Apple pay its developer to actually start working on adding features? ...

Bring the rigour back!

Totally agree, I'm glad I got back to 10.7, but I'm worried they'll force us to upgrade later on.

With rumours of an upcoming radio service, I strongly suspect they removed our favorite features (including iTunes DJ), only to make us pay for a new "revolutionary" service, called "iRadio".

If really that is what's on their minds, I say NO WAY. :mad:

We need to put more pressure on them for the next upgrade:
* http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Simple, but its the "duh" word

This may be simple look, but i its like "How simple can you get?"

Telling the user that an app is to be installed on IOS when "Syncing" from the Mac at the user's intention ?

Of course its gonna be installed...... What else would it do ? Didn't need to be added.

Bring back the checkboxes

Attachments

• Install.png
    Install.png
    478.4 KB · Views: 82

Hessel

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2011
Renkum
really? So you aren't using the HDMI port?

nah I have a cinema display so I use the thunderbolt port

----------

okay I've kinda grown to appreciate iTunes 11 but I'm really missing the Genius sidebar on the right.

I'm actually one of those people that buys music from time to time & genius used to give some really good suggestions to check out.

in iTunes 11 that's not possible anymore.

kinda weird that Apple removed this because this is also a source of money for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.