Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbkr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
I must say that teardown pictures totally changed my mind.

At first I was decided on maxed out 21". The base price in my country is 7000 PLN. Fusion and RAM upgrade bumps this to 9069 PLN (29%). Those two updates are crucial to make machine future-proof.

I'm not a data hoarder and 256 GB are more than enough for me, so I can buy Vertex 4 for about 850 PLN. Which will have 50% less failure chance than Fusion Drive. And will be totally silent.

When it comes to RAM base version has 2x4GB so both slots have to be replaced. 2 x 8GB Corsair Apple Qualified costs 300 PLN.

So manually upgraded machine costs is bumped to 8160 PLN (16%). And removed hardware can be sold dropping whole upgrade bump to about 10% of base price.

Even with included suction cups price (hey, you can play spiderman after upgrade using them :p) this manual upgrade became my favorite option.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
The brave one is whoever is willing to try the HD and RAM replacement first. We still need to see what type of HD temperature sensor / pin reassignment tricks Apple will be using in the 2012 iMac models to prevent third party HD / SSD replacements. In the 2011 model if you tried to just replace the HD yourself the fans would ramp to full speed and stay there. What's in store for us in the 2012 model? Nobody knows yet...

Also nobody knows yet if the RAM can be replaced without having to take out the entire logic board. At least it doesn't seem to be soldered on, which is good news.

Ryox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
UK
Going by the tear down images, the RAM is on the opposite side of the logic board with all the interface ports. You'll have to remove the logic board to change the RAM on the 21.5".

HDD still remains a mystery. Looking forward for ifixit's tear down.

bbkr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Going by the tear down images, the RAM is on the opposite side of the logic board with all the interface ports. You'll have to remove the logic board to change the RAM on the 21.5".

Probably not. RAM is at the edge of the logic board almost at the middle of the back-bulge. After removing fan (3 screws, trivial) there is enough space to reach under the board and replace it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.