Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:30 AM   #26
gadget123
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Regardless when Apple releases the iPad 5, note that there is a chance that it will have a different form factor that previous models.

First, its going to have the iPad Mini design which will mean it will be thinner and lighter.

Second, there is a good chance Apple will decrease its side bezels to make them more like the iPad Mini. By doing that the total width of the iPad 5 will be smaller which means most cases and Smart Covers will not fit (be larger than the actual iPad).
I thought Ipad minis bezels were only smaller due to the limitations of a 7" scrren?
gadget123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:39 AM   #27
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget123 View Post
I thought Ipad minis bezels were only smaller due to the limitations of a 7" scrren?
The bezel is smaller so it will still fit in one hand. If the side bezel were larger, the screen would have to be smaller to keep the same physical width.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Really? Are they quoted somewhere saying that?
No but historically Apple favors thinner and lighter devices. The 3/4 weight and thickness gain was a necessary evil of the retina screen, but given the opportunity Apple always goes with thinner and lighter.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:09 AM   #28
AppleRobert
macrumors 68000

Regardless of ipad5, I do not buy expensive cases anyway.
AppleRobert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:23 AM   #29
irDigital0l
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Really? Are they quoted somewhere saying that?
No, of course Apple wouldn't mention that in the keynote but go to apple.com and under tech specs you can see the differences

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:05 PM   #30
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
I'm not sure what your point is. Given the most current is called the iPad with retina display, it's highly unlikely the upcoming model will be called iPad 5. Other than being thinner & lighter, any other features will be above & beyond what anyone needs or may use. The current model I have is very fast refined & complete. Yet Apple excels at convincing people they must have the latest.
I think his point is that he doesn't want to buy a case that won't fit the next ipad which he thinks is coming out soon. I'm not sure what your point is other than that you're trying to convince youself that you won't need to upgrade when the new one is released. And referring to it as iPad5 is perfectly logical, since there will have been 4 previous versions when the 5th is released.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
I went for the maxed out iPad 4. It's got retina, lightning connector, and great CPU and GPU performance.

Couldn't be happier.
I didn't realize this was the "What kind of iPad did you get?" thread.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
No, of course Apple wouldn't mention that in the keynote but go to apple.com and under tech specs you can see the differences

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/
Does this link mention what the next one will be like? Because I'm pretty sure that's what Jessica's question was referring to.

Last edited by Blorzoga; Jan 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM.
Blorzoga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:21 PM   #31
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorzoga View Post
I'm not sure what your point is other than that you're trying to convince youself that you won't need to upgrade when the new one is released.
Why you seem to have a need to assume is laughable.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:34 PM   #32
gadget123
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
The bezel is smaller so it will still fit in one hand. If the side bezel were larger, the screen would have to be smaller to keep the same physical width.

----------

No but historically Apple favors thinner and lighter devices. The 3/4 weight and thickness gain was a necessary evil of the retina screen, but given the opportunity Apple always goes with thinner and lighter.
They could quite easily keep the same dimensions of ipad but switch to a 10" screen could they not?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:40 PM   #33
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
They could quite easily keep the same dimensions of ipad but switch to a 10" screen could they not?
I don't think so, but just draw it on a piece of paper.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:50 PM   #34
gadget123
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
I don't think so, but just draw it on a piece of paper.
A smaller 9"7 tablet would make it look small compared to the Galaxy so for that reason why would Apple make it smaller? Thinner yes but I can't see why changing the dimensions helps any?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:23 PM   #35
Starrbuck
macrumors regular

Quote:
Anybody else holding back?
Nope. Bought a new iPad 4 last week.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:37 AM   #36
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020

Never expect these threads to cease. Anyone who cares enough about Apple products to even be on a forum like this one definitely values having "the best". Any enthusiast in any area cringes at the idea of paying full price for something that will be obsolete soon - THE QUESTION IS "WHAT'S AN ACCEPTABLE AMOUNT OF TIME FOR HAVING THE BEST ONE". Tech updates quickly, so you merely want to maximize your time as having "the best one out there". I can already hear the "it shouldn't matter...just get one and enjoy it" responses coming, but that's mainly for justification. Everyone wants the best if it's accessible, and when you have the money to pull the trigger on something that you consider a "once every few years" type of purchase, you want to make sure to know the market as best you can.

To me, this is a "buy one if you need one" time to buy an iPad. Not bad, not perfect. If you want one, the current one is a very fine product for sure though.
jamesryanbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:25 PM   #37
Essenar
macrumors 6502

Dude, your logic makes zero sense.

First, the fact that you have said iPad that would need an expensive case, would indicate that you already bit the bullet $500+tax at minimum for an iPad 4.

Secondly, the fact that you also said 'due to iPad 5' would mean you're going to buy that one. This wouldn't be a big deal except you also hinted that the same case would be used for the iPad 5 which means you will be getting rid of said 'iPad 4' in favor of the iPad 5.

You'd either trade yours in or sell it, both of which will at minimum, cost you about $50-75 in loss just purely on upgrading when a newer more powerful unit is out.

So in one single thread, you managed to show people:
You're liberal and high spending enough with your budget to dump $50-75 in pure loss on the latest iPad when you have the most recent generation.

But you're also too cheap to spend $50 on a case that would protect the previous generation iPad enough to maintain its condition which would give you the added benefit of:
Adding the value of the used case to your resale value
Keeping the iPad in prime enough condition to maximize the second hand value you sell it

So I'll let you in on a secret:
You're the only guy in that predicament. The rest of us who invest into such nice electronics, are conscious enough in mind to protect our investment with a case and probably accidental/theft insurance. Why? Because at a minimum, investing 10% of what you spent to protect the investment is a smart decision. I'm not buying an iPad 5, but even if I was, I would've gotten the Smart Case. Even if I knew for some reason it wouldn't fit, I would have gotten it. Because it keeps mine in good condition for resale and because I'd at least make back $25-30 for it on Amazon if I decided to sell it.
Essenar is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad