Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WesRocks360

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Hey I just got my new later 2012 iMac. I've got a 1 tb fusion drive. I partitioned 200 GB to PC. Ive been downloading a lot of games and its almost full. I don't really wana repartiniton everything and give windows a crap ton of space just for games. Can I get an external harddrive and save games on there? If so which should I get?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Yes, that'll work just fine. As to what drive to get, that depends on how much you want to spend. A thunderbolt drive would be the fastest but by far the most expensive.

I would get a USB 3 drive with solid read/write speeds. I'm partial to LaCie. I've owned a few of their externals for a number of years and they've been great.

WesRocks360

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Ill go anyway up to about $150. I want a big chunk of memory. 200 GB filled up in about a week lol

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
im using an external USB2 drive and run SKyrim and the 1.4TB of my steam library and origin library etc off of in bootcamp, with 12gb ram on my iMac i get 2-3 seconds of load screen, usually not enough time for the text or load screen model to load or start moving before the world is loaded and it drops me back into the game.

Id say, if your gaming, USB 2 is fine if you put a bucket of RAM in the machine so it can cache everything needed after the initial load then the drive speed and bus speed become a moot point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.