Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Anyone had any luck exchanging something purchased from a 3rd party retailer to an Apple store? I picked up a couple of 16GB iPad mini's for the kids but now I'm thinking they need a 32GB due to their movies.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Anyone had any luck exchanging something purchased from a 3rd party retailer to an Apple store? I picked up a couple of 16GB iPad mini's for the kids but now I'm thinking they need a 32GB due to their movies.

You'll have to do the exchange at the retailer. Apple would exchange those iPads if they were defective and under warranty or Applecare, but they would not allow you to exchange them for 32GB and you pay the difference if that is what you are thinking. They would only exchange them for identical iPads with 16GB of storage--and they'd be refurbs.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
You'll have to do the exchange at the retailer. Apple would exchange those iPads if they were defective and under warranty or Applecare, but they would not allow you to exchange them for 32GB and you pay the difference if that is what you are thinking. They would only exchange them for identical iPads with 16GB of storage--and they'd be refurbs.

People have done this, but usually only with iPads bought from that store. You could phone the, up and get a definitive answer rather than speculation from us though. :)

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Thanks. That's what I thought. Kids are going to be stuck with them for now...not that it's a bad thing. It's more troublesome for me as I am the one that has to update their movies. I'd be willing to pay the $100 to upgrade each but it might be more of a hassle to ship them out to exchange it.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Thanks. That's what I thought. Kids are going to be stuck with them for now...not that it's a bad thing. It's more troublesome for me as I am the one that has to update their movies. I'd be willing to pay the $100 to upgrade each but it might be more of a hassle to ship them out to exchange it.

They won't do it unless it was purchased at an Apple store. Wont the seller swap them?

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
They won't do it unless it was purchased at an Apple store. Wont the seller swap them?

They probably would but its an out of state retailer. I'd have to go through the hassle of shipping them out and all that jazz. They'd be without their iPads for more than two weeks I suspect as well and they've really fallen in love with them. Oh well, not a big deal. It was just something that popped in my head while in the John and figure I'd ask what everyone's experiences are before I try to even pursue it with Apple. :p

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

You didn't mention ages/circumstances, but if the kids are going to be in the same general vicinity then maybe a wireless drive is all you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Wirel...8456485&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+wireless+plus

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
People have done this, but usually only with iPads bought from that store. You could phone the, up and get a definitive answer rather than speculation from us though. :)

Definitely call. But as of two years ago, when I worked Apple Retail, the answer was a resounding "no". We once had someone push the issue all the way to the regional manager who ended up paying shipping both ways to the company they had bought it from, but still wasn't able to let them return or swap it at the Apple store.

At that time, it was physically impossible for us to move a serialized device into an inventory system where it never existed.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Definitely call. But as of two years ago, when I worked Apple Retail, the answer was a resounding "no". We once had someone push the issue all the way to the regional manager who ended up paying shipping both ways to the company they had bought it from, but still wasn't able to let them return or swap it at the Apple store.

At that time, it was physically impossible for us to move a serialized device into an inventory system where it never existed.

Makes sense. Thanks.

I think the wireless hard drive is my best bet. Not only would it benefit my children's iPad but expand accessibility for the wife and I as well.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Ohhhh...good call. Got any experience in making it work with the ipad?

You access it from an iOS App on your iPad. It's the successor to the Seagate Satellite drive.

----------

Ohhhh...good call. Got any experience in making it work with the ipad?

You access it from an iOS App on your iPad. It's the successor to the Seagate Satellite drive (but with twice the capacity and battery life)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.