Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
iPads are great devices but they don't replace a laptop or even a desktop.I think some people think that a iPad can do anything that laptop or a desktop can do people don't understand the fundamentals of a iPad.The iPad will never really replace a desktop or even a Laptop computer because the iPad has to many limits like you couldn't do high Design Work or Photo Editing.

This is when the iPad comes in to its own
If you away from home say for example on business and you need to surf the web or check email regular then the iPad is a perfect partner or even do basic word documents or even takes notes at a meeting a laptop isn't needed at all but if you need to do in deeper things then a laptop would do the job perfect
The iPad can do most things today but sometimes it just cannot do everything
for example if you wanted to back some data on to a disk then that would be possible with the iPad that where a Laptop would come in to its own or you need to access some programs that your laptop

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
I was really hoping dude would be successful. It's awesome to see someone apply the think different principle to :apple: stuff.

For the people who say the iPad can't replace a laptop, I think you're being narrow minded. Not everyone needs the computing power of a laptop. My mother could definitely live with just an iPad (it would be some much easier to trouble shoot when she screws it up :cool: ). I will not replace my MBP when it dies. I'll get an iMac and use my The New iPad for my mobile computing. 75% of the time, my MBP has been relegated to being my media server. The only part of the new model that I don't like is the smaller storage and use of the cloud for storage. Until the security is proven and data rates in the use get lower, I will resist the use of iCloud for anything remotely sensitive.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
haha, here is how I went on with my life..... (computer wise :p)

1. Macbook Pro 2009
2. iPad 2 2011 (November)
3. iPad 3 2012 (May)
4. Macbook Air 13" 2012 (October)
(Obviously sold the devices before buying a new one)

I couldn't live with my iPad for that long, although I had a firm belief that I could work things out with ONLY my iPad :\ Well, it was worth the try.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I'm VERY skeptical about that strategy. There's a reason why all those Windows "tablet" notebooks never caught on. It's because desktop GUI don't work well on a tablet format.
I hate when people use these silly "historical justifications" to prove why something will or wont work when it comes to technology because it ignores the fact that "Timing is everything".

Im not trying to say take away from Apples accomplishments but many of Apples most popular products would have failed if released at the wrong time too. The Air in 2003 would be a joke since optical disks were required hardware back then. The AppleTV/iTunes Store would be useless in 1998 without internet/wifi speeds to handle high quality video downloads. The iPad might have even failed too if it came before the iPhone if the app ecosystem didnt exist. And Windows Tablets were a bad idea in 2004 because technology didnt exist that enabled it to be light enough, fast enough or offer the proper input options for touch (not to mention the OS sucked).

But how in any way could that mean that a hybrid tablet/computer wont work now? The OS is designed for this product, the hardware is unique and the world has changed so this might be the right time for this sort of device to finally succeed. And even though I dont like Windows, I think that we've seen enough use scenarios that have us jumping back and forth from iOS to OSX that an Apple hybrid device may be exactly what is coming next.

Last edited:

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
I use the Lenovo PC/Tablet at work. It's ok. The screen is wonky as h3ll when jumping into and out of the docking station and also switching from regular laptop to tablet.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I hate when people use these silly "historical justifications" to prove why something will or wont work when it comes to technology because it ignores the fact that "Timing is everything".

Im not trying to say take away from Apples accomplishments but many of Apples most popular products would have failed if released at the wrong time too. The Air in 2003 would be a joke since optical disks were required hardware back then. The AppleTV/iTunes Store would be useless in 1998 without internet/wifi speeds to handle high quality video downloads. The iPad might have even failed too if it came before the iPhone if the app ecosystem didnt exist. And Windows Tablets were a bad idea in 2004 because technology didnt exist that enabled it to be light enough, fast enough or offer the proper input options for touch (not to mention the OS sucked).

I think a large part of Apple's recent success is based on knowing when to introduce products so they come in with the right timing. As you point out, introducing the Air or the App store before high-speed Internet was wide spread would not have worked, and Apple waited until the timing was right.

But how in any way could that mean that a hybrid tablet/computer wont work now? The OS is designed for this product, the hardware is unique and the world has changed so this might be the right time for this sort of device to finally succeed. And even though I dont like Windows, I think that we've seen enough use scenarios that have us jumping back and forth from iOS to OSX that an Apple hybrid device may be exactly what is coming next.

I do think iOS and OS X will converge eventually. With each new generation of both OS, Apple is adding features to make the two systems work together more and more seamlessly. But it is taking time getting there, in small baby steps. Microsoft is forcing it, making a big leap from desktop to hybrid, without any intermediate stages to smooth the transition. This is the same attitude that led to Microsoft trying to force tablet computing before all the technology was there to make it feasible and affordable to the masses. I agree that we shouldn't just blindly assume that history repeats itself, but I'm not seeing that Microsoft has learned the key lessons needed to help it avoid a repeat.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Thats the thing that makes the surface so interesting and unique from the perspective of Mac users. On this side of the fence its either Tablet -OR- Computer and we claim to prefer it that way. But with what the Surface is supposed to be then you get BOTH the tablet and computer in one.

(Surface Commercial. Despite the cheesiness of the commercial, I definitely am a bit jealous of their kickstand and keyboard solution rather than my smart cover and a BT keyboard)

I agree, the surface's built in kickstand and keyboard cover is more convenient than using a logitech ultrathin keyboard. Not to mention the fact that the surface's keyboard cover has a built in trackpad! I tried really hard to make the BTC Mouse application work because a mouse/trackpad is so much more convenient than having to type something, then reach up to use the touchscreen.

Only 10 more days or so till the surface (albiet RT version) comes out.

you were jailbroken, so there's a chance you might've had cydia save the SHSH for you? have you tried running tinyumbrella to see if cydia servers have a copy of your device's SHSH for 5.1.1?

Since I bought my iPad a little over a week ago Apple had already stopped signing 5.1.1 so cydia just always tells me "this device is in the pending TSS queue." :(

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I agree, the surface's built in kickstand and keyboard cover is more convenient than using a logitech ultrathin keyboard. Not to mention the fact that the surface's keyboard cover has a built in trackpad! I tried really hard to make the BTC Mouse application work because a mouse/trackpad is so much more convenient than having to type something, then reach up to use the touchscreen.

Only 10 more days or so till the surface (albiet RT version) comes out.
Preorders start today too. If it werent for the Mini rumors i'd impulsively buy one but I'm going to wait for reviews since I really am more infatuated with the Surface hardware than I am with Windows.

But as for the hardware, the kickstand and smartcover keyboard are really what makes even a Windows RT device so tempting. I own 3 iPad keyboards and I hate them all equally because its not only about having a keyboard, its about having the experience YOU want. And while touch/keyboard work for some apps, many times I really just want a touchpad and keyboard for "traditional" computing. So I really hope OSXI brings in iOS somehow so that we can get an iPad/Mac sort of hybrid for times that I need more than a tablet and less than a full sized computer. Theres no rule that Apple cant be "inspired" by a competitor and competition is good for the consumer.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
I love this thread because this is exactly what i've tried to do myself. I use my ipad all the time and haven't really cracked open the macbook pro since.

HOWEVER......

...help me with this.

upload your resume to monster or careerbuilder.

get back to us all when you have a way to do this please. this is holding me back from getting rid of my laptop altogether.

OMG :eek:

I was looking FOREVER for this ability and FINALLY an application that does this: iUploader :D

I just used it to both download a word document to the application and then upload it to my schools online class web interface as an attachment! I am in heaven :)

I saw it while browsing price drops on appshopper (http://appshopper.com/utilities/iuploader-pro) and it's currently free at the time of writing this. Just wanted to let you know as I remembered you asking this and thought this app plug up another hole towards using the iPad as your only computer.

I also updated the OP as well and will try to make the iPad work as my only computer once the iOS 6 jailbreak is out. Hopefully the BTCmouse application is working by then.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Ironically, now that you've returned your iPad, iOS 6 JB untethered has been released.

I know :D

Back in October I returned my original iPad within 30 days for a refund, knowing that I would simply buy one again once an iOS 6 jailbreak was released ;)

I would have already bought a regular iPad... but my heart is now set on the iPad Mini with Logitech Ultrathin Mini Keyboard :

The keyboard comes out at the end of February so that's when I'll get the iPad mini and jailbreak it to become my sole tablet computer :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The keyboard comes out at the end of February so that's when I'll get the iPad mini and jailbreak it to become my sole tablet computer :)

You do realize that Apple may soon release an iOS update that blocks the jailbreak, right? The longer you wait to buy an iPad, the greater the chance you won't be able to jailbreak it. Personally, I'd buy the iPad now and jailbreak it without waiting for the keyboard release.

Also, I'm skeptical about the mini being a good laptop replacement. Everything on a mini is smaller than on a regular iPad, and any keyboard cover that fits the mini is also going to be tiny. I love my mini for being so compact and portable, but it's more frustrating to use than a regular size iPad -- I often miss tap targets nd find myself haing to try many times before hitting the right place. Trying to use a regular iPad as a laptop replacement is difficult enough, and I'd never even try with a mini! Granted, that's me, who knows, it might work for you. Do keep us updated and let us know how it goes!

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
It's definately a good idea to check out a similar sized keyboard before making any such purchase. Such keyboards can be uncomfortable, if not unusable, for many.

fteoath64

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
Well, that's the thing. Many people didn't need a "full" computer, but until the iPad came along, a full computer was their only choice. They were forced to buy an over-powered, over-complicated, and often over-priced machine when they only needed a fraction of that power. Now that the iPad is here, those people have a device that more precisely matches their needs.

Bingo! You got it!. An Android tablet might be more suitable but that needs a bit more technical savvy to handle the tasks. Many have been trying to ditch their laptops at work in favour of a tablet. Leaving a home HTPC server the TV/media needs. Good post.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I agree with this completely. There are times where I have to put down my iPad and either hop on my MB Pro or my PC to complete a task.

other than obviously pro tasks - ie complex spreadsheets, music making, movies, photoshop etc..what?
i do all my 'pro' tasks at work. at home, my ipad seems to suffice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.