Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjw11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
This morning I was installing IOS6 to my 3GS and after the installation the phone has died! It will not connect to iTunes and all it seems to do is to show the starting white Apple logo and then turns off again and it keeps doing it over and over again! I have no idea whats going on! any ideas anyone!? Please Help!

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
This morning I was installing IOS6 to my 3GS and after the installation the phone has died! It will not connect to iTunes and all it seems to do is to show the starting white Apple logo and then turns off again and it keeps doing it over and over again! I have no idea whats going on! any ideas anyone!? Please Help!

Hold Home and power button together. Once the screen goes off, you wait 4 seconds, then release the power button but keep pressing the home button.

Do this while connected with a cable to your computer. Then as soon as the computer reconises new hardware, its done. Then in itunes you can make a restore.

If this doesnt work, you're screwed.

mjw11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
You legend, i could kiss you! I wouldn't have been so bothered if it was my 3GS but it is my friends spare phone as i dropped mine down the toilet two weeks ago! I'm getting the 5 tomorrow! can't wait! thanks again your a life saver!

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
This happened to mine too. I ended up doing a restore and going back to an earlier backup (i.e. not the most recent one). Took me a couple of restores to get this working right.

jj47

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Moral of the story - Dont download anything on a device that isn't yours :D

Ben C.

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
New England
I suppose I'm just lucky.
I had zero issues updating to iOS6 on my 32GB iPhone 3GS. Update took about 12 minutes last night, turned the phone on, connected to Wi-Fi and did the little setup steps, and then explored the new apps / noticed YouTube was gone :)

measwel

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012

Solution:

Press power and menu buttons until reset. Keep pressing the menu button after the reset so the phone goes into recovery mode. Connect to iTunes. The phone will charge now. You don't have to restore it, just wait until the battery has enough charge and it will switch back on again.

Not very handsome, but it works for me. I hope this issue will get fixed by the next Apple update.

VTMH

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2013
I followed these steps: connect to the computer, hold both the power button and Home button, then release the power one. But it didn't work because my computer could not recognize any hardware. And now, my phone totally turn off. Is there any solution? Please, help me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.