Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
<insert foot into mouth>

I did what I said I was not going to do - I purchased a D800. After digging deeper and reading expert's reviews and opinions, I realized I was wrong - the D800 truly is the successor to the D700, like it or not. We will not see another mid-range FX camera from Nikon for awhile and I'm not interested in buying an entry level FX camera, which would presumably be the D600. So I said F IT and pulled the trigger. Should have it sometime next week. Now to figure out which FX lens to buy...

Better late than never. I have a D800 on order for the times I'm not using the D4. As far as lenses go, start with the trinity: 14-24mm, f2.8, 24-70mm, f2.8, 70-200mm, f2.8. These should work for a while. Then move to the 105mm, f2.8 for macro. And finally to the 300mm, f2.8 (my next lens purchase) for the reach... There are of course the assorted 50mm, f1.4 or f1.8. You are on your way.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Better late than never. I have a D800 on order for the times I'm not using the D4. As far as lenses go, start with the trinity: 14-24mm, f2.8, 24-70mm, f2.8, 70-200mm, f2.8. These should work for a while. Then move to the 105mm, f2.8 for macro. And finally to the 300mm, f2.8 (my next lens purchase) for the reach... There are of course the assorted 50mm, f1.4 or f1.8. You are on your way.

Exactly the lenses I have been looking at. Was thinking the 24-70 should be the first lens I should buy if I go that route. Otherwise, I was thinking I could pick up the 50 1.4 and use that for awhile to get familiar with full frame. 105 macro is definitely on the list as well - some of the images I have seen from that lens are easily magazine quality. Just plain nuts.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
Exactly the lenses I have been looking at. Was thinking the 24-70 should be the first lens I should buy if I go that route. Otherwise, I was thinking I could pick up the 50 1.4 and use that for awhile to get familiar with full frame. 105 macro is definitely on the list as well - some of the images I have seen from that lens are easily magazine quality. Just plain nuts.

If I may. I would get the 24-70mm first simply because it can do so much more and that lens is sooooooo good that many Canon shooters buy an adapter to put it on their bodies. It is my go to lens most of the time.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
If I may. I would get the 24-70mm first simply because it can do so much more and that lens is sooooooo good that many Canon shooters buy an adapter to put it on their bodies. It is my go to lens most of the time.

You are right. 24-70 would more than likely be the best candidate as my first FX lens. Thank you for the guidance. :)

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
You are right. 24-70 would more than likely be the best candidate as my first FX lens. Thank you for the guidance. :)

No worries. You're gonna brin every time you snap something and see how amazing it looks. :) My daughter has a D700 and she loves it. I offered her a D800 and she turned it down. Kids right. :)

Anyway, congrats.... Welcome to the world of FX shooting.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
I have the trinity and would recommend the 24-70mm f/2.8 first and follow it up with the 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII. The 14-24mm f/2.8 is a tough one. It's a superb lens, one of the best out there, but I am finding that I don't use it much so I'm actually selling it.

I used to have the 105mm f/2.8 macro and even though it is a great lens as well, it was too long for table top work and too short for insects. I replaced it with the new 60mm f/2.8 macro instead, since I do mainly table top and flower macros.

For the 50mm, I got the Sigma f/1.4 which only gets used when I really need a low light lens. The 24-70mm is great for all other times.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Vudoo, I have the 10-24 DX lens and use it a lot. In fact, it's probably my most used lens for my paying gigs. How much are you looking to sell the 14-24 for?

shashin

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011

Nice shots! I am impressed with the detail (of course) but also with the contrast range that has been captured in these photos. This is one of the main reasons that I, too, want to go to a full frame camera.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Nice shots! I am impressed with the detail (of course) but also with the contrast range that has been captured in these photos. This is one of the main reasons that I, too, want to go to a full frame camera.

Thanks. I feel I take better shots with a full frame. I see the image in the viewfinder completely differently now. I take way less shots than I used to.

shashin

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
Thanks. I feel I take better shots with a full frame. I see the image in the viewfinder completely differently now. I take way less shots than I used to.

Well, here I am ressurrecting an old thread. The reason is that I, too, have gone full frame. However, my move was from a small point and shoot Canon, that I dearly love, to a much larger Nikon D800e. This is actually a move back to SLR photography for me. I was once, long ago, a pro camera person in the era of film and the like.:rolleyes: Yeah, you've heard this before, I know. Anyway, with 5 Nikon lenses sitting around unused for the better part of 10 years, I thought it was time to get back into the SLR game, namely a DSLR.
Here's one of my first shots.
Shinjukunight_zpse62412ac.jpg

I used a 28 year old 35mm f/2. Does a pretty good job, don't you think?:)
Tech details: ISO 1250 f/2.8 1/200 sec

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
To an extent. For photojournalists, I think the 1DX from Canon is ruler.

I'm not sure why that's relevant. I'm not a photojournalist.

Anyways I've already stuck with Nikon and have tons of their glass, no reason to switch.

Chris64tx

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2012
Houston, Tx.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Wow, I forgot about this thread. I moved up to a D800 this past fall. I LOVE it.

----------

I'm not sure why that's relevant. I'm not a photojournalist.

Anyways I've already stuck with Nikon and have tons of their glass, no reason to switch.

It seems I quoted the wrong post...:eek: I meant to quote this:
Not to start a canon vs Nikon flame, but seems Nikon has taken the FF lead from canon.....

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
Wow, I forgot about this thread. I moved up to a D800 this past fall. I LOVE it.

----------

It seems I quoted the wrong post...:eek: I meant to quote this:

Hopefully you don't have the left side focus issues or paint fade mine did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.