Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 31, 2013, 08:52 AM   #1
palmharbor
Banned

Burning Music on DVD ...possible?

Wanted to put music (not purchased from apple or anyone else) on a DVD but itunes says only a DATA dvd is possible...is there any other way to do this
AND STILL have it work on a common car CD player? if you choose DVD data all you get is a way to store music NOT play music. If you chose CD and put in a DVD...they move you back to Data DVD.
Could there be another piece of software that can be used or what?
Using Itunes 11, 10.8.4, external DVD drive with Mac Mini
palmharbor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 09:05 AM   #2
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Burning any kind of data- even music- to a DVD should be no problem. But no DVD is going to play in a radio built to play CDs. So even if you find the right software, you'll still have a hardware playback problem. I think I recall seeing some car radios that could take DVDs of MP3s and play them like you want (but, if that faint recollection is right, it would require a car radio replacement).
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:24 AM   #3
palmharbor
Banned

it is a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
Burning any kind of data- even music- to a DVD should be no problem. But no DVD is going to play in a radio built to play CDs. So even if you find the right software, you'll still have a hardware playback problem. I think I recall seeing some car radios that could take DVDs of MP3s and play them like you want (but, if that faint recollection is right, it would require a car radio replacement).
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:30 AM   #4
RadDave
macrumors regular

Well, whether on a CD-R or DVD-R, MP3 files can be burned to disc in a data format, and will play on a computer or a compatible optical disc player - I usually just 'burn' my MP3s as 'data' onto a CD-R which will play in my newer model CD player which recognizes the MP3 format. Also my son sent me a DVD-R a few years back w/ a half dozen CDs (as WAV) - ripped to MP3s and made two CD-Rs to play on my various CD only players. Good luck!
RadDave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:46 AM   #5
palmharbor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Well, whether on a CD-R or DVD-R, MP3 files can be burned to disc in a data format, and will play on a computer or a compatible optical disc player - I usually just 'burn' my MP3s as 'data' onto a CD-R which will play in my newer model CD player which recognizes the MP3 format. Also my son sent me a DVD-R a few years back w/ a half dozen CDs (as WAV) - ripped to MP3s and made two CD-Rs to play on my various CD only players. Good luck!
If you buy a commercially made CD and put it into the mac, they show up as AIFF files....I have burned music on CD's and they work fine in this Samsung CD/DVD player...yes, you took the burned MP3 files and used them to burn a CD, my point is that the DVD only works as a backup storage of music files burned on itunes as data...they only way iTunes will permit.

Last edited by SandboxGeneral; Aug 2, 2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Removed line from text
palmharbor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:53 AM   #6
Ray Brady
macrumors member

The short answer is No. A "common CD player" will not know what to do with a DVD, no matter what software you used to encode it. If you want to burn a music CD for playback in a standard car stereo, you need a CD, not a DVD.
Ray Brady is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:48 AM   #7
jdechko
macrumors 68040

What you want is software that burns DVD audio (which iTunes does not). This should work in any DVD player (that supports the DVD-A spec), but not a CD player (due to the difference in CD & DVD technology)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio#Macintosh
jdechko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:07 PM   #8
old-wiz
macrumors 604

DVDs require a different laser to read the disk.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:53 PM   #9
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmharbor View Post
The whole point of my post is that IT IS A PROBLEM...the DVD I burned on iTunes would not play in my Samsung CD/DVD player plugged into my home theater system
Then iTunes is not the tool you need. I'm not by the Mac with a burner but are you not able to render all the songs you want as MP3s from iTunes into a folder... and then burn all those MP3s to a blank DVD (just like burning a disc of photo .jpgs onto a DVD)? I've done the photo burn many times before so I would think MP3s would be the same process (which would not use iTunes but instead Finder or Disc Utility).

And actually, I'd suggest letting go of the disc idea all together if you want to make this work in your car (too). If you want more songs than you can fit onto a mp3 CD for the car radio AND you now realize you're going to have to replace the car CD player to get there, why not just buy a car radio that is iPod compatible and hook up an old iPod to it? Even 2nd generation iPod classics stored more songs than you can fit onto a DVD. So if you have an old one to repurpose, it's probably the better option if you are going to switch out the (radio) hardware in your car. I know those are available as some cars come with them as options.

Looking around, I think this might be one that plays DVD (mp3) or iPod: Sony MEX-DV1700U (but dig in deeper and be sure). This more strongly implies it will play DVD mp3: http://www.pcrush.com/product/DVD-Pl...Digital-Player

Last edited by HobeSoundDarryl; Jul 31, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:06 PM   #10
TedM
macrumors 6502

if you are trying to play a dvd in your car cd player, there is no way to make that work. Data dvds are the only way to get it to work, but those can't be played on cds.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
dvd, itunes 11