Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigDogMoya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Is there any way to retrieve the MAC address of an iPad without having the device anymore? Is it stored in the backup, somewhere in iTunes after syncing? I really really need it and cant find it. I've been poking around in the backup using iBackupBot but cannot find it.

BigDogMoya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
The reason I need to find my MAC address is because someone stole my iPad and I tracked it with iCloud before they wiped it with iTunes. The police talked to the people but they denied having it, so using a backtrack laptop I scanned their WiFi and it shows they have 6 Apple devices connected to their router ( I know this by searching the connected MAC addresses online). if I can just find my MAC address I possibly match it if one of those devices is mine regardless of an iTunes wipe. I'm really desperate as the police and Apple are no help.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I'm fairly impressed that you got the police to investigate in the first instance, however, what's the point of getting the MAC address, it's not like it's a definitive link to your ownership.

BigDogMoya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
I don't have a box in front of me, but isn't the MAC address on the label?

Nope just the S/N and other info but no MAC address

----------

I'm fairly impressed that you got the police to investigate in the first instance, however, what's the point of getting the MAC address, it's not like it's a definitive link to your ownership.

Can't a guy hope lol I'm desperate. I bought it and 4 days later its gone :(

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

----------

Can't a guy hope lol I'm desperate. I bought it and 4 days later its gone :(

Did you use a credit card with loss/damage/theft coverage? I always buy my tech devices on my Amex, just to get the additional warranty and loss/damage/theft (first 90 days).

BigDogMoya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Did you use a credit card with loss/damage/theft coverage? I always buy my tech devices on my Amex, just to get the additional warranty and loss/damage/theft (first 90 days).

No, I had been saving and used my Debit card to make the purchase :(

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
No, I had been saving and used my Debit card to make the purchase :(

This is a little late then, but AmEx has been running commercials showing their gift cards as having the same damage/theft coverage. I don't know about the fine print but its worth looking into.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca

I'm confused, wouldn't the serial number be enough evidence to claim ownership, how can using a MAC address prove that its yours? Any WiFi that you have accessed has the MAC address logged.

If you have the box and receipt, they should both contain the serial number and credit card/debit card that was used to purchase the iPad.

You can also log on to My Support Profile from Apple and if you registered your device using your Apple ID, it should be logged and associated with your Apple ID, better evidence than a MAC address.

BigDogMoya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
I'm confused, wouldn't the serial number be enough evidence to claim ownership, how can using a MAC address prove that its yours? Any WiFi that you have accessed has the MAC address logged.

If you have the box and receipt, they should both contain the serial number and credit card/debit card that was used to purchase the iPad.

You can also log on to My Support Profile from Apple and if you registered your device using your Apple ID, it should be logged and associated with your Apple ID, better evidence than a MAC address.

I have all these things and it is registered to me but the problem is when the officer knocked on the door and explained the situation they showed him one iPad they owned and he compared it to my reciept and it wasn't mine. Then they refused to allow him to look around. The officer said theres nothing we can really do... which goes back to the MAC address way of proving it's in there connected to there router. I need to scare these *******s into just giving it up because the police wont do anything other than ask nicely :mad: Other than this new direction I'm taking to try to take it back I am open to any suggestions but right now I just need the MAC address. also I've reported it stolen, I've dealt with Apple, I've reported it to pawn shops. I will not let this go and I'm doing everything that comes to mind to get it back. I worked my ass off to finally afford to buy it and it was stolen by some inconsiderate scum.

BigDogMoya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
You do know that is illegal. :eek:

Just like stealing it was. And I never intruded on their network just a scan.

----------

Any chance you can 'steal' it back? How did they take it? How do you know who took it?
I feel your pain...

I'm trying to get it back legally first... but I will get it back believe me. And I was at work. I work with individuals with developmental disabilities so I use it for work alot. I was in the lobby of a building where my client worked and it was stolen there. How? I don't know because it was well hidden while I was assisting my client.

BigDogMoya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Do you have any hard proof that they have the iPad?

Just the last known location which was really accurate and there are no other houses on the block that have Apple devices on their routers... so no hard proof but I'm trying to get some..... but without my MAC address I'm **** out of luck. Unless I can get the cops to contact Apple to see who's Apple ID is now attached to my ipad via Serial number but the police already told me they don't do that and Apple wont release any personal info without a court order so I guess I should start saving again l. But I'm not letting this go and I'm sure all of you understand my position.

BigDogMoya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Can anyone download iBackupBot or similar software and check their backups to see if they can find their MAC address in there? There's a lot to look at and I feel like I'm missing something.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Just the last known location which was really accurate and there are no other houses on the block that have Apple devices on their routers...

A while ago my friend lost his iPhone at the gym, we tracked it down (using my iPhone) to a house 2 miles away from the gym. We knocked on the door and the lady who answered was wearing gym cloths and admitted that she had just come from the same gym, but claimed she didn't have the iPhone. I continued to refresh Find My iPhone and the location did not change, but we decided to ask the neighbors if they had found a phone at the gym, same response, no.

We continued to call it and no one was answering. While still standing at the lady's house we called the gym to see if someone had turned it in, the receptionist said that about 10 minutes after we left a clerk had found it in the locker room and that she was about to call us.

Clearly Find my iPhone failed to be accurate, so I wouldn't bet all my marbles on its accuracy.

BigDogMoya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
A while ago my friend lost his iPhone at the gym, we tracked it down (using my iPhone) to a house 2 miles away from the gym. We knocked on the door and the lady who answered was wearing gym cloths and admitted that she had just come from the same gym, but claimed she didn't have the iPhone. I continued to refresh Find My iPhone and the location did not change, but we decided to ask the neighbors if they had found a phone at the gym, same response, no.

We continued to call it and no one was answering. While still standing at the lady's house we called the gym to see if someone had turned it in, the receptionist said that about 10 minutes after we left a clerk had found it in the locker room and that she was about to call us.

Clearly Find my iPhone failed to be accurate, so I wouldn't bet all my marbles on its accuracy.

Mine is The wifi only Which makes it much more accurate as it gets location from IP address...

----------

This will all end it tears.

Lol I already know but my grieving process is to try until I've exhausted all possibilities haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.