Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:26 PM   #1
axi0m
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Have some questions for those who do .NET development on a MacBook Pro retina

So I just got an MBPr and primarily develop in visual studio and will be spending most of my time in Windows.

Some questions that arise are:

What gives more battery life, running Windows 8 in bootcamp or in a VM like parallels 8 ? I would think Bootcamp would yield the better battery life unless Apple handicaps Windows with bad drivers on purpose.

Are there any particular services/process you would recommend turning off in Windows to preserve battery life ?

I am hearing Parallels 8 is now head and shoulders above Fusion 5 for virtualising Windows, especially when used with a retina MacBook, any truth to this ?

How well does the trackpad work with Windows 8, especially in metro/WinRT environment ? Are all the gestures supported ?

Do you think scaled mode or having Windows use the full retina resolution (hope I don't need a magnifier) is the way to go?

Are there any keys/combinations of them that replicate the behaviour of the missing end and home buttons ?

Is there any way to re-assign the control key in OSX to do what it does in Windows? That used for ctrl+c, ctrl+v, ctrl + a etc. As I am finding having to use the command button instead greatly uncomfortable.

Anything else I should know ?
axi0m is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:30 PM   #2
leman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by axi0m View Post
What gives more battery life, running Windows 8 in bootcamp or in a VM like parallels 8 ? I would think Bootcamp would yield the better battery life unless Apple handicaps Windows with bad drivers on purpose.
I can only answer this part - Bootcamp cannot run the integrated GPU, so the battery life will be significantly shorter. And its not really handicapping on purpose - the MacBook simply uses a hardware GPU multiplexer (instead of software solution like Nvidia Optimus), so you'd need a custom graphics driver for that, which Nvidia does not supply.
leman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:17 PM   #3
vladster
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Your situation is not common, but I can share my statistics from similar situation.

I have MBP '13 2012 i5, with 4GB of ram, and suddenly needed to make some extensive change to really big project in Visual C++. I was given a dedicated HP Pavilion laptop with core 2 duo and 3GB of memory for that purpose, but switching between these laptops was inconvenient, so I installed WinXp virtual machine at my MacBook (using VirtualBox), downloaded Visual C++ Studio Express, and compared performance between the two.

With 2GB memory and all possible cpu resources (all processors at 100%) allocated to the Virtual WinXP, it was compiling the project slightly faster than the HP laptop.

I had to exit literally everything else to avoid swap file, but still it was more convenient than switching laptops, given, I also needed to develop something at the MacBook. 2 gigs was the max realistic memory amount I could give to the VM. If I was giving more, swap was slowing down the whole MAC OS X, that was running VM that was running WinXp that was running MS Visual C++ Studio Express.

Critical resource was the memory, as far as I remember, allocating more memory to VM affected compilation time more than CPU.

The project was over in several weeks, but if it would last, another option was to convert it to GNU C.
vladster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:30 PM   #4
axi0m
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladster View Post
Your situation is not common, but I can share my statistics from similar situation.

I have MBP '13 2012 i5, with 4GB of ram, and suddenly needed to make some extensive change to really big project in Visual C++. I was given a dedicated HP Pavilion laptop with core 2 duo and 3GB of memory for that purpose, but switching between these laptops was inconvenient, so I installed WinXp virtual machine at my MacBook (using VirtualBox), downloaded Visual C++ Studio Express, and compared performance between the two.

With 2GB memory and all possible cpu resources (all processors at 100%) allocated to the Virtual WinXP, it was compiling the project slightly faster than the HP laptop.

I had to exit literally everything else to avoid swap file, but still it was more convenient than switching laptops, given, I also needed to develop something at the MacBook. 2 gigs was the max realistic memory amount I could give to the VM. If I was giving more, swap was slowing down the whole MAC OS X, that was running VM that was running WinXp that was running MS Visual C++ Studio Express.

Critical resource was the memory, as far as I remember, allocating more memory to VM affected compilation time more than CPU.

The project was over in several weeks, but if it would last, another option was to convert it to GNU C.
Hmm, not really relevant to what I was asking but thanks anywhere I guess.
With the MBPr I have no shortage of memory to devote to VM's and I also suspect my situation is more common than you think, nearly every other dev has Windows/VS on their Mac so I am wanting to hear on their experience/optimisation tips.
axi0m is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:43 PM   #5
vladster
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by axi0m View Post
my situation is more common than you think
Np. Then you should have plenty of responses here in no time.
vladster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:49 PM   #6
axi0m
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladster View Post
Np. Then you should have plenty of responses here in no time.
That or I should have asked this in a dev forum.
axi0m is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MacBook Pro (Late 2013) iOS Development questions Supercell MacBook Pro 8 Nov 1, 2013 01:52 PM
New 15" Macbook Pro Retina - Case questions Previse MacBook Pro 1 Oct 25, 2013 01:26 PM
13 inch MacBook Pro Retina Questions Sven11 MacBook Pro 9 Nov 13, 2012 07:22 PM
Two questions about the Retina Macbook Pro wankey MacBook Pro 4 Jun 22, 2012 09:25 AM
Technical Retina Macbook Pro Questions TyleRomeo MacBook Pro 5 Jun 14, 2012 10:33 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC