Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer9542

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
I became pretty excited when I saw ATT was supposedly activating FaceTime for users with unlimited data (I wanna say ppl from NY had it when the news was posted). I'm in Chicago, and have yet to be allowed to turn it on through cellular. I used it alot when I was jailbroken, but obviously will have to wait otherwise for 5 to be JB. Is this still happening though?

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
as i stated in the other thread, what most likely happened when ATT changed their policy someone clicked a wrong box or setting on their server side. By the time they noticed it it had begun to replicate to other servers from the main server. When they found the error they corrected it and the new correct setting began to replicate to the other servers. This explains why it worked for some in waves but also began to fail in waves.

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
I have spoken to two different reps from ATT and they said that unlimited users will be able to facetime over cellular as well, but it will take 8-10 weeks to do the transition.

They said it was even posted on their website....

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I was just thinking the same thing about 10 minutes ago!

Anyway, when I read about it on here a few weeks ago I checked FaceTime in settings and sure enough using FaceTime over cellular was activated. Just checked it right now and it's turned off again, I tried turning it on and it said I can't - needs to have an eligible plan or be connected to wifi.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I have spoken to two different reps from ATT and they said that unlimited users will be able to facetime over cellular as well, but it will take 8-10 weeks to do the transition.

They said it was even posted on their website....

I wish that was correct but Im not holding my breath.
AT&T reps tell crazy stories.
What is the website that was posted did he say?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Steve Jobs will come back to life before AT&T ever does anything to benefit the consumer.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
I have an unlimited data plan with AT&T and I can still use FaceTime over cellular which was just activated about a week ago for me. In my FaceTime settings the toggle is still switched to "on" and I never turned it on in the first place

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.