Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ggarnold

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
My Scenario: Using the Remote App to control Apple TVs at both home and work. However I don't want to configure the work Apple TV, which is shared by many people, with my own personal Apple ID.

Why does the Apple TV use Home Sharing + Apple ID to enable the Remote App usage?

Here are some ideas about how to improve:
1) Allow easy Apple ID switching in the Remote App.
2) Rather than Home Sharing, use a PIN security model to associate the Remote App with an Apple TV.
3) Provide a setting in ATV to disable the Home Sharing requirement and make it work more like the "wide open" AirPlay handling. (i.e. any Remote App on the same network can control the ATV)

Thoughts? Workarounds? Ideas?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
My Scenario: Using the Remote App to control Apple TVs at both home and work. However I don't want to configure the work Apple TV, which is shared by many people, with my own personal Apple ID.

Why does the Apple TV use Home Sharing + Apple ID to enable the Remote App usage?

Thoughts? Workarounds? Ideas?

Go ask Apple. I couldn't tell you and no there isn't a work around. The work around is to log out of the Remote App and log back in with a different ID.

I recommend you contact Apple Support and submit your query/request.... We aren't much help to you here.

ggarnold

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Go ask Apple. I couldn't tell you and no there isn't a work around. The work around is to log out of the Remote App and log back in with a different ID.

I recommend you contact Apple Support and submit your query/request.... We aren't much help to you here.

Thanks for that. Suppose a lot of the threads here could end up with the same response. Perhaps I should have worded my post differently...

Anyone know of an ATV remote configuration or alternative for my iPhone/iPad that allows for different network/Apple ID environments? I am guessing the answer is NO. Also curious if others have encountered this need.

As a side note, I believe the Apple TV is becoming more relevant in the business environment because of the AirPlay support which is built-in to Mac OS. ATV+Macbook is a very useful presentation toolset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.