Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Why?

If I'm buying now, then I'd be happy to have the choice NOW instead of having to wait.

From the consumers' point of view it can only be a win.

Incremental updates like these are what have hurt the images of brands such as HTC and Motorola. The point of encompassing all new features into massive product updates are to generate hype.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Btw, if Apple is cheapening the iPad brand by updating it once or twice a year, I wonder what that says about the Galaxy S, Galaxy S Duos, Galaxy SII, Galaxy SIII, Galaxy S WiFi, Galaxy Xcover, Galaxy Y, Galaxy W, Galaxy Beam, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Ace, Galaxy Gio, Galaxy Mini, Galaxy Fit, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Galaxy Camera.
I don't even know what half of that stuff is supposed to be, though I understand the difference between an iPad and an iPad Mini. :rolleyes:
What samsung is doing is to get more choices to consumers, big screen and small screen and so on.
Have not you seen the car maker makes different models and Mcdonald's offers different sizes of Fries and drinks ?

Giuly

macrumors 68040
What samsung is doing is to get more choices to consumers, big screen and small screen and so on.
Have not you seen the car maker makes different models and Mcdonald's offers different sizes of Fries and drinks ?
What's the difference between the Galaxy Note 10.1 and the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 again?

And even though McDonald's offers you it's crap in a bunch of different taste variants, it doesn't mean that it's better than omakase from the Japanese dude around the block.

Last edited:

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
What's the difference between the Galaxy Note 10.1 and the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 again?

And even though McDonald's offers you it's crap in a bunch of different taste variants, it doesn't mean that it's better than omakase from the Japanese dude around the block.
I do not work for samsung, what I know is the global competition makes them having different names and different models, also price levels. In a perfect world everybody can afford to buy Mercedes, yet this is not a perfect world. :)

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Good for you to not be affected by this, but for me Safari gets unresponsive and it's annoying. Maybe I just push it too much with 15 or more tabs of pages that make use of JavaScript. Here's an experiment for you: Open 10 tabs with subforums, then go to theverge.com and slowly scroll down to load all the images. Notice how it starts to take some time do display the page as you approach the bottom. Once you hit it, switch tabs.

The iPad 3 might be like an F-22 for you, but since I've received my iPhone 5, it feels just as fast as it really is: Twice as fast as an iPad 1. Hence the need for an A6X version.

There's a big difference between one tab and ten/fifteen.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Where exactly did I say one tab?

But hey, don't go all conservative fanboy on me, just because I liberally criticize the aspects that bother me. If you are fine with the iPad 3, good for you. I know that I'm counting the undetermined amount of days for the iPad 5 introduction.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Incremental updates like these are what have hurt the images of brands such as HTC and Motorola. The point of encompassing all new features into massive product updates are to generate hype.

I understand that, but as a consumer, it simply can't be anything less than good. We shouldn't care about hype. That's for the company to worry about.

Also, it's not like they have done this on a regular basis. We have seen but a couple of instances of it so far. As I said, if I were in the market for an iPad 4 right now, I'd welcome the change.

Plus I'd assume the new design, less reflective screen and thinner and lighter will be the major selling points over a memory increase.

I think they have enough for the next iPad not to have to worry too much about hype.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
in such short time. a year ago iPad3 with Retna display came out, then the 4, and now the 128GB iPad4, all within 12 month period. i doubt anybody stood in line for the iPad4 like they did for the first couple releases. imo, Apple is cheapening the iPad brand.

So rapid updates = brand cheapening

If I follow this logic, slow updates = brand strengthening

Therefore, Apple could strengthen the iPad brand to god-like superiority by only doing updates every 10 years or so!

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
If your buying now, at the present time or moment, then you are not having to wait.

Hoho... yes semantics.

What I should have written is:
It's better to have the 128g available now instead of later. It gives the people buying now more choice and thus, more power as the consumer.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
All I am saying is that I didnt mind spending another few hundred dollars every year to upgrade but every 6 months having needless updates, makes me rethink me buying every year and holding off longer.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
It's a tablet. Pretty much is replacing mobile computing. Sure, everyone will still need laptops for heavy duty work, but for general day to day tasks, a tablet is more than enought. An iPad is essentially a tablet made by Apple. It's becoming a norm.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
You must be using some kind of new logic for 1 > 1 being a true statement.

I'm so sorry, they were your words, not mine. Have a nice day and best of luck in your future endeavors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.