Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loompy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Im really torn on which MBP to get.

What I want to do with the notebook is mostly for using Illustrator or Photoshop, and maybe some light gaming like WoW in addition to general usage. Im looking at the Pro because I really want the optical drive, and I dont really care if the storage is SSD as I would rather have the 500GB+ drives over the smaller, faster solid states, so im not considering the rMBP or Air.

This is my first Mac so I want to make sure I get the right choice on what is good enough for this type of usage but also so it will last me a few years.

Any feedback is appreciated, Thanks! :D

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
If you absolutely don't want the rMBP (that's the best machine for PS and AI), get a decked out "regular" MBP with the Hi-Res screen for sure. The 1680x1050 option is still pretty darn good (I have one).

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011

What I want to do with the notebook is mostly for using Illustrator or Photoshop, and maybe some light gaming like WoW in addition to general usage. Im looking at the Pro because I really want the optical drive, and I dont really care if the storage is SSD as I would rather have the 500GB+ drives over the smaller, faster solid states, so im not considering the rMBP or Air.

This is my first Mac so I want to make sure I get the right choice on what is good enough for this type of usage but also so it will last me a few years.

Any feedback is appreciated, Thanks! :D
15in MBP. You can always take out the optical drive in the future if you want and replace it with an SSD (or replace the standard HDD with an SSD and put the HDD where the optical drive was). You can also upgrade the RAM yourself, if you so choose.

15in over 13in because it has a dedicated GPU (which will be useful in your light gaming endeavors).

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I would suggest the base model 13" Macbook Pro. Since you're new, it will give you a chance to experience what it is all about. This machine retains value the best so you can sell it later on and upgrade and know what your exact wants are in a machine. I started out with Macs the same way last year so that's from experience.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
I would suggest the base model 13" Macbook Pro. Since you're new, it will give you a chance to experience what it is all about. This machine retains value the best so you can sell it later on and upgrade and know what your exact wants are in a machine. I started out with Macs the same way last year so that's from experience.

I disagree. Based on the fact that the OP said he will *mostly* be doing Illustrator and/or Photoshop, and even some gaming, I think having a dedicated GPU is vital to his needs. The 13" does not offer that.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
15" or 13" Classic.

The 13" Pro GPU is good enough for Photoshop and Borderlands 2 on Medium settings. It's not a 'slouch' and you can get the 13" Pro with 16GB of ram and a hybrid drive like mine, collectively for less than $1300. (Ram is $100, Hard Drive is another $100) It's a pretty screaming machine.

The 15" Pro will cost you a lot more initially but the dedicated GPU is pretty powerful. Plus you can get the high res screen.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
15" non-retina MBP; high-res (1680x1050) screen. Do at least a 2.6GHz i7 (not because the advantage over 2.3GHz is at all significant, but more to get the 1GB of VRAM instead of 512MB).

Paskell

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013

What I want to do with the notebook is mostly for using Illustrator or Photoshop, and maybe some light gaming like WoW in addition to general usage. Im looking at the Pro because I really want the optical drive, and I dont really care if
the storage is SSD as I would rather have the 500GB+ drives over the smaller, faster solid states, so im not considering the rMBP or Air.

This is my first Mac so I want to make sure I get the right choice on what is good enough for this
type of usage but also so it will last me a few years.

Any feedback is appreciated, Thanks!
:D

Well the rmbp have a lot of screen problems I personally have a 15"Mbp and its been amazing. I would get a Mbp not a rmbp and get as much as you can for CPU to future proof best you can afford and upgrade ram yourself along with a nice Samsung ssd and your golden. Good for wow to also runs good on an external display if you want to play on a larger screen. Remember wow is one of those CPU intensive games also.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
In October, the OP posted in another thread:

I just got a 13" 2.5GHz MBP and Im very glad I did.

I know Apple is more expensive than others for pricing, but the 13" rMBP prices are crazy high. And they dont even have much of a performance difference than the regular Pro's.

$1699 for the MBP but with a retina display and a paultry 128GB SSD is stupid. Apple is still charging SSD prices of five years ago.

I'll keep the cMBP thanks, why? Cause I can upgrade the RAM and storage whenever I want.

Maybe for my next Macbook in around 4 yeas when 512GB SSD is standard I will get one.

So this thread should be laid to rest!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.