Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Most evidence suggests that Disk Utility's Repair Permissions does NOT do ANYTHING for third-party installed software.
Of course, you're absolutely right. Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.
Disk Utility repairs the permissions for files installed by the Mac OS X Installer, Software Update, or an Apple software installer. It doesn’t repair permissions for your documents, your home folder, and third-party applications. You can verify or repair permissions only on a disk with Mac OS X installed.
Does Disk Utility check permissions on all files? Files that aren't installed as part of an Apple-originated installer package are not listed in a receipt and therefore are not checked. For example, if you install an application using a non-Apple installer application, or by copying it from a disk image, network volume, or other disk instead of installing it via Installer, a receipt file isn't created. This is expected. Some applications are designed to be installed in one of those ways. Also, certain files whose permissions can be changed during normal usage without affecting their function are intentionally not checked.
If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
The discussion is about deleted apps, not reinstalled apps.
Exactly so for once in your life do read other people's responses! If you delete an app then why keep the settings? What use are those settings to me when I'm not using the app at all? What if I install the app later on because I changed my mind (there are many here who do because the manufacturer has put out a better version)? The latter is something that happens very frequently. In that case the leftovers can become a problem.

Before responding do try to understand the actual workings and how people actually use their machines. Proof of this can be found on these forums if you observe well!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you delete an app then why keep the settings?
If you paid any attention to my posts in countless numbers of threads on app deletion, I do recommend deleting plists, as well as any other app-related files. I'm not suggesting that anyone should keep them. I'm refuting your claim that a leftover plist from a deleted app could cause problems. It can't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.