Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Hello all,

since SpiderOak seems to be plagued by persistent reliability issues (have got intermittent issues from the start, and since version 5.0.1 of the client, completely ceased working and ended up with a corrupted file hierarchy), until they can solve it, if they ever do, I need something else that would be equivalent to it and:

1. Able to sync and backup Mac, Linux, and Windows (optional)
  2. 100GB for $50, or same order of price
  3. Same zero-knowledge privacy policy
  4. Geographical segregation is a must, otherwise I can just have my own home server or Time Machine. The other platforms are not distinct computers, but virtual machines so they don't provide segregation.

I realize sync and backup really are two different tasks, but after a quick check, what I want to keep backed up is bigger than what I want to keep in sync, so a simple home server wouldn't cut it I think.

On the other hand, I feel angry because I was told that my data apparently isn't available even for a physical shipment on HDD or DVD. Basically, it is held hostage of a non-working system, and I need to keep on paying for that maintenance.

The closest solution I found would be this hosting, coupled with a suitable, encrypted platform, but which one? I intended to deploy ownCloud on my current hosting platform because it is supposed not to need any kind of special privileges, but so far this has proved to be utterly false as the debug process indeed requires access to logs and files not usually available on a shared hosting.

So, what other platform or combination would be usable for that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.