Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:07 PM   #1
rick snagwell
macrumors 68040

Photoshop help please

can anyone please do me a favor?

my new fiancè and i are trying to make 'save the date' magnets, and we have a picture we would like to use on it, but just want the focus on us and the background blurred.

if you can help me, please PM me, would rather not put the picture up there.

thanks for any help!
Old Mar 24, 2013, 06:30 PM   #2
macworkerbee
macrumors 6502

sent you a PM
macworkerbee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:35 PM   #3
DUCKofD3ATH
macrumors regular

Assuming you have Photoshop, select the portion of the photo you DON'T want blurred, then copy and paste into a new layer. (If you're not up to speed with Photoshop selection tools, here's a good tutorial: 8 Ways to Get the Selection You Want in Photoshop/ .)

Now that the image of you and your fiancè is safe on a new layer, select the original layer and apply a Gaussian blur (Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur...).

That's it!
DUCKofD3ATH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:48 AM   #4
photographypro
macrumors regular

Use Iris blur in CS6

If you have CS6, just use Iris Blur. Or you could try the new tilt-shift blur, but Iris will probably work best.
photographypro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:16 PM   #5
chrono1081
macrumors 604

There's a fancy way to grade the blur with a depth mask but I forget how to do it (I saw the trick on Digital Tutors, not sure if anyone else knows it).
Old Jun 13, 2013, 04:57 AM   #6
mumph
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenpete View Post
Photoshop is a large graphic design software program created by the Adobe company. It enables a novice photographer to touch up recent photos, and experienced graphic design professionals to create advertisements, logos and marketing pieces. Through a vast collection of filters, tools and palettes, Photoshop offers benefits to users of all skill levels.
Thanks for that insight. Although its actually an image editing suite and once you have edited your images you take them else where to use them. If you create a logo, advertisement or marketing piece solely in Photoshop, you should be shot.
mumph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:45 PM   #7
macuser453787
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumph View Post
Thanks for that insight. Although its actually an image editing suite and once you have edited your images you take them else where to use them. If you create a logo, advertisement or marketing piece solely in Photoshop, you should be shot.
I understand the sentiment, and I can't tell you the number of times I've seen layouts for brochures etc. built in Photoshop. I'm not a fan of that either, but apparently not everyone knows or cares about the old school methods of keeping vector as vector and raster as raster. IMO, that is the best way to do it, though raster effects in InDesign and Illustrator are very convenient and I have and will continue to use them.
macuser453787 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics