Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Apr 5, 2012, 09:57 AM   #1
nappy123
macrumors newbie

Plz help why are high res images I email to myself look low res and pixelated on iPad

Hey guys,

Anyway to fix this? My architectural renderings look like ass on iPad ans I want to show them to people. I email myself a high res image from my computer..when I download pic to iPad and zoom in, it looks like crap way worse than on my crappy monitors at work...any workaround ? Ty
nappy123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:06 AM   #2
batotman
macrumors 6502

Perhaps the ridiculous high res screen? If you can transfer them over through iTunes or pluggin in to your Mac/pc, you should see if the look better that way.
batotman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:07 AM   #3
nappy123
macrumors newbie

Not the screen

Het bat dont think it's the screen the images are blurry
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:10 AM   #4
anjinha
macrumors 604

What's the resolution of the images?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:22 AM   #5
dukeblue91
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to dukeblue91
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappy123 View Post
Hey guys,

Anyway to fix this? My architectural renderings look like ass on iPad ans I want to show them to people. I email myself a high res image from my computer..when I download pic to iPad and zoom in, it looks like crap way worse than on my crappy monitors at work...any workaround ? Ty
Depending on how you email them.
When using a Mac and emailing pictures it gives you a choice on the bottom as to what size to send them in.
I don't know how windows handles it.
Also when you save the pics to the photo app are they still as bad looking?
As an alternative you could upload them to dropbox and get them through the iPad that way in full rez.
My website http://www.js-jewelers.com
dukeblue91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:25 AM   #6
nappy123
macrumors newbie

Hey an

Resolution of images 3000 x 4000 pixels
72 dpi

----------

I tried Dropbox as well and they were emailed from a windows computer at original resolution . I assume it's the dpi? Should I scale it up in PS?

Thanks !
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:41 AM   #7
nappy123
macrumors newbie

Hey duke

Hey Duke,

Do you think it has to do with DPI?
It just seems unacceptable that I can't really show my work on a iPad which supposedly has an higher resolution screen but in the end when I zoom in everything looks blurry.

If it does have to do with DP can I just increased the size of my image file in Photoshop to a higher dpi?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Frenchjay
macrumors 68000

Create an account here and upload your photos to it. They do not downsize the quality at all and you get 10GB of storage for free.

Then download the free Minus app from the App Store and login and enjoy your photos in full resolution.

http://minus.com/

IPad app

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/minus/id425091149?mt=8
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:16 PM   #9
mikepro
macrumors 6502

That's a pretty low DPI. You probably want something closer to 300 or 600 DPI, especially if you are going to be zooming in.

Quote:
Hey an

Resolution of images 3000 x 4000 pixels
72 dpi

----------

I tried Dropbox as well and they were emailed from a windows computer at original resolution . I assume it's the dpi? Should I scale it up in PS?

Thanks !
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:37 PM   #10
Derango
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepro View Post
That's a pretty low DPI. You probably want something closer to 300 or 600 DPI, especially if you are going to be zooming in.
A 3000x4000 image at 300 dpi is going to be 10 inches x 13 inches, so it's plenty high res so it won't look like crap on an ipad screen.

DPI value only tells the system how many pixels per inch it should try to shove in and only comes into play when you print something, generally. when you're viewing on the screen DPI means almost nothing and it's all about how high the resolution is.

by the way, Increasing the DPI value in photoshop won't have any effect on the image when viewing it on the screen unless the image was created at that DPI to begin with. Otherwise it's just pre-zooming it basically.
Derango is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:50 PM   #11
nappy123
macrumors newbie

Ok the problem... Is APPLE

Okay guys,

I tried syncing the photos from my Windows PC directly to the iPad through iTunes and the resolution of the photos were much higher and not blurry. So the problem is when I email photos and download them from my email or when I access the photos from dropbox, this is a problem with Apple. I really don't understand why something so basic doesn't even work properly I mean you go on a computer that's 10 years old and photos will show up in original resolution why the hell does Apple have to downsample everything?

However most importantly has anyone also experienced and noticed this and is there a solution? Thank you

I really appreciate the retina display however What's the planes if it CHOOSES to display pictures on par with 8-bit graphics on my game boy?
nappy123 is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 02:38 PM   #12
jman240
macrumors 6502a

Sounds like they are getting down sampled somewhere. Try using something like Good Reader to interface with Dropbox and download them that way. Added bonus you get a decent file management software to organize your drawings.
jman240 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 03:27 PM   #13
w00t951
macrumors 68000

Is your email compressing the images? Facebook compresses images and Gmail has an attachment size limit.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:11 PM   #14
nappy123
macrumors newbie

Nhmm

Hey guys ,

It is definitely not gmail downsampling the images as they look fine when I zoom in super close on any other computer. It is APPLE. Any workaround for this? It is quite ridiculous
nappy123 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:26 PM   #15
BigButa
macrumors member

Dropbox downsizes photos

Dropbox downsizes photos when you upload them. You'll have to go into settings (looks like a cog wheel) in the dropbox iPad app and specify that photos get uploaded in their original size.
BigButa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:01 AM   #16
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Okay guys,

I tried syncing the photos from my Windows PC directly to the iPad through iTunes and the resolution of the photos were much higher and not blurry. So the problem is when I email photos and download them from my email or when I access the photos from dropbox, this is a problem with Apple. I really don't understand why something so basic doesn't even work properly I mean you go on a computer that's 10 years old and photos will show up in original resolution why the hell does Apple have to downsample everything?

However most importantly has anyone also experienced and noticed this and is there a solution? Thank you

I really appreciate the retina display however What's the planes if it CHOOSES to display pictures on par with 8-bit graphics on my game boy?
How the hell would Apple be downsizing your images? They aren't sitting around monitoring your downloads and don't care about the size or resolution of your images. It very well could be your ISP. They are the only common denominator in all of this

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad