Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 5, 2012, 09:57 AM   #1
nappy123
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Plz help why are high res images I email to myself look low res and pixelated on iPad

Hey guys,

Anyway to fix this? My architectural renderings look like ass on iPad ans I want to show them to people. I email myself a high res image from my computer..when I download pic to iPad and zoom in, it looks like crap way worse than on my crappy monitors at work...any workaround ? Ty
nappy123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:06 AM   #2
batotman
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Perhaps the ridiculous high res screen? If you can transfer them over through iTunes or pluggin in to your Mac/pc, you should see if the look better that way.
batotman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:07 AM   #3
nappy123
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Not the screen

Het bat dont think it's the screen the images are blurry
nappy123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:10 AM   #4
anjinha
macrumors 604
 
anjinha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
What's the resolution of the images?
__________________
Thank you Steve.
anjinha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:22 AM   #5
dukeblue91
macrumors 65816
 
dukeblue91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Send a message via AIM to dukeblue91
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappy123 View Post
Hey guys,

Anyway to fix this? My architectural renderings look like ass on iPad ans I want to show them to people. I email myself a high res image from my computer..when I download pic to iPad and zoom in, it looks like crap way worse than on my crappy monitors at work...any workaround ? Ty
Depending on how you email them.
When using a Mac and emailing pictures it gives you a choice on the bottom as to what size to send them in.
I don't know how windows handles it.
Also when you save the pics to the photo app are they still as bad looking?
As an alternative you could upload them to dropbox and get them through the iPad that way in full rez.
__________________
Mac Pro Quad 2.8 16GB Ram, 3.5TB HDD, 2x SP2208WFP Monitors.
2010 White MacBook, 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 4 Gig of Ram, 250GB HD.
HTC One X Phone, iPad 3 16GB Wifi,
My website http://www.js-jewelers.com
dukeblue91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:25 AM   #6
nappy123
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Hey an

Resolution of images 3000 x 4000 pixels
72 dpi

----------

I tried Dropbox as well and they were emailed from a windows computer at original resolution . I assume it's the dpi? Should I scale it up in PS?

Thanks !
nappy123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:41 AM   #7
nappy123
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Hey duke

Hey Duke,

Do you think it has to do with DPI?
It just seems unacceptable that I can't really show my work on a iPad which supposedly has an higher resolution screen but in the end when I zoom in everything looks blurry.

If it does have to do with DP can I just increased the size of my image file in Photoshop to a higher dpi?
nappy123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Frenchjay
macrumors 68000
 
Frenchjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Create an account here and upload your photos to it. They do not downsize the quality at all and you get 10GB of storage for free.

Then download the free Minus app from the App Store and login and enjoy your photos in full resolution.

http://minus.com/

IPad app


http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/minus/id425091149?mt=8
__________________
"stay hungry, stay foolish"
Steve Jobs 
Frenchjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:16 PM   #9
mikepro
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
That's a pretty low DPI. You probably want something closer to 300 or 600 DPI, especially if you are going to be zooming in.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nappy123 View Post
Hey an

Resolution of images 3000 x 4000 pixels
72 dpi

----------

I tried Dropbox as well and they were emailed from a windows computer at original resolution . I assume it's the dpi? Should I scale it up in PS?

Thanks !
__________________
Apple stuff goes here.
mikepro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:37 PM   #10
Derango
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepro View Post
That's a pretty low DPI. You probably want something closer to 300 or 600 DPI, especially if you are going to be zooming in.
A 3000x4000 image at 300 dpi is going to be 10 inches x 13 inches, so it's plenty high res so it won't look like crap on an ipad screen.

DPI value only tells the system how many pixels per inch it should try to shove in and only comes into play when you print something, generally. when you're viewing on the screen DPI means almost nothing and it's all about how high the resolution is.

by the way, Increasing the DPI value in photoshop won't have any effect on the image when viewing it on the screen unless the image was created at that DPI to begin with. Otherwise it's just pre-zooming it basically.
Derango is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:50 PM   #11
nappy123
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Ok the problem... Is APPLE

Okay guys,

I tried syncing the photos from my Windows PC directly to the iPad through iTunes and the resolution of the photos were much higher and not blurry. So the problem is when I email photos and download them from my email or when I access the photos from dropbox, this is a problem with Apple. I really don't understand why something so basic doesn't even work properly I mean you go on a computer that's 10 years old and photos will show up in original resolution why the hell does Apple have to downsample everything?

However most importantly has anyone also experienced and noticed this and is there a solution? Thank you

I really appreciate the retina display however What's the planes if it CHOOSES to display pictures on par with 8-bit graphics on my game boy?
nappy123 is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 02:38 PM   #12
jman240
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2009
Sounds like they are getting down sampled somewhere. Try using something like Good Reader to interface with Dropbox and download them that way. Added bonus you get a decent file management software to organize your drawings.
jman240 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 03:27 PM   #13
w00t951
macrumors 68000
 
w00t951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 116th & Broadway
Is your email compressing the images? Facebook compresses images and Gmail has an attachment size limit.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" Retina, Nexus 5, Nugget of Power (i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, GTX 780 @ 1202/6800MHz)
w00t951 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:11 PM   #14
nappy123
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Nhmm

Hey guys ,

It is definitely not gmail downsampling the images as they look fine when I zoom in super close on any other computer. It is APPLE. Any workaround for this? It is quite ridiculous
nappy123 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:26 PM   #15
BigButa
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Dropbox downsizes photos

Dropbox downsizes photos when you upload them. You'll have to go into settings (looks like a cog wheel) in the dropbox iPad app and specify that photos get uploaded in their original size.
BigButa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:01 AM   #16
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappy123 View Post
Okay guys,

I tried syncing the photos from my Windows PC directly to the iPad through iTunes and the resolution of the photos were much higher and not blurry. So the problem is when I email photos and download them from my email or when I access the photos from dropbox, this is a problem with Apple. I really don't understand why something so basic doesn't even work properly I mean you go on a computer that's 10 years old and photos will show up in original resolution why the hell does Apple have to downsample everything?

However most importantly has anyone also experienced and noticed this and is there a solution? Thank you

I really appreciate the retina display however What's the planes if it CHOOSES to display pictures on par with 8-bit graphics on my game boy?
How the hell would Apple be downsizing your images? They aren't sitting around monitoring your downloads and don't care about the size or resolution of your images. It very well could be your ISP. They are the only common denominator in all of this
__________________
- "Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." --Satchel Paige
TheWheelMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swap MBP6,2 high-res LCD for MBP9,1 low-res LCD? natshaw MacBook Pro 9 Jan 24, 2014 01:01 AM
Keynote 6: Now in Mandatory Low Res? evangw Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Nov 8, 2013 09:17 AM
Any High-Res Images of Space Grey iPhone 5s? -iKris- iPhone 12 Sep 13, 2013 08:11 PM
Need help real quick! Hi-Res antiglare cMBP or normal res? dragonjinse MacBook Pro 29 Jun 22, 2013 12:02 AM
All iPads: How to Edit High Res Photos from PC on IPAD jctivo iPad 2 May 20, 2013 06:49 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC