Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Amad3U5
macrumors member

About the charging cycles in Apple notebooks

This is gonna seem like a stupid question but...
You know the light on the Magsafe adapter? When it goes green, does it mean that the laptop has stopped charging? Or does it just mean that the battery is full.

If leave my laptop off and charging over-night, will it stop charging once it reaches 100%?
Amad3U5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:39 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amad3U5 View Post
This is gonna seem like a stupid question but...
You know the light on the Magsafe adapter? When it goes green, does it mean that the laptop has stopped charging? Or does it just mean that the battery is full.

If leave my laptop off and charging over-night, will it stop charging once it reaches 100%?
Yes, the green light indicates the battery is fully charged and that charging has stopped. It will always stop charging when fully charged. It cannot overcharge.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Amad3U5
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Yes, the green light indicates the battery is fully charged and that charging has stopped. It will always stop charging when fully charged. It cannot overcharge.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
So I can leave it to charge overnight and not have to worry about damaging the battery?
Amad3U5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:04 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amad3U5 View Post
So I can leave it to charge overnight and not have to worry about damaging the battery?
Correct. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help