Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Okay, so the rumor came from a Chinese news site, right?

Well, when native speakers of mandarin chinese pronounce the "x" sound, they usually confuse the sounds between "th" and "s" and "x".

So, iphone "math" might just be iphone "max" when the first person tried to pronounce the name.

I mean, iPhone max is still a stupid name, but certainly makes more sense than iPhone "math"...

ScruffyS

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Vermont, Usa
Or perhaps "numbers" was poorly translated to "math". The next iphone number. iPhone 6.

I thought this the other day as well.. but an entire iP line being budget friendly? I don't see /that/ happening. Like Lamborghini making a mini van and calling it the murchilago. But hey, who knows, could be.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Or perhaps they could have mispronounced it as at iPhone Mac. Mac referring to OS X. Meaning that the new iphone is running snow leopard. Notice that the next version of OS X is 10.9. Well 1+0+9 = 10 and 10-4 = 6. Coincidence that the iphone 5 is the last iphone and 6 comes after 5 which is exactly what we calculated?!

Also notice that 4*6 = 24 and one day has exactly 24 hours! but the new ipad has exactly 128gb. Well 128/24=5.33! Well we already have seen an iphone5 and 0.33 might be refering to 3 march 2013

Its just all too suspicious to be a coincidence

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Or perhaps they could have mispronounced it as at iPhone Mac. Mac referring to OS X. Meaning that the new iphone is running snow leopard. Notice that the next version of OS X is 10.9. Well 1+0+9 = 10 and 10-4 = 6. Coincidence that the iphone 5 is the last iphone and 6 comes after 5 which is exactly what we calculated?!

Also notice that 4*6 = 24 and one day has exactly 24 hours! but the new ipad has exactly 128gb. Well 128/24=5.33! Well we already have seen an iphone5 and 0.33 might be refering to 3 march 2013

Its just all too suspicious to be a coincidence

haha I questioned whether this was a joke and then I realised I was the idiot. :p

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
or, iPhone +

I agree with this. "Math", "plus sign"...I can see where it'd get lost in translation. And something like iPhone+ seems feasible. I doubt that is the official name they would use, but it seems possible. Regardless, I wasn't really a believer before, but I am starting to warm up to the idea of Apple creating a larger phone eventually. And a larger iPhone called the iPhone+ makes sense.

----------

And FWIW, "iPhone Math" is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard and anyone who believed that for a second or gave that name any real consideration is completely out of touch and simply retarded. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.