Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

araje

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Hello.
I went with lots of options and currently zeroing down on net10 at the moment.
I am currently on t-mobile and let just say its pathetic. Of and on 3G here and there and mostly edge. The only thing that made me latch on was the international calling which is what I use most.
I learnt that net10 also offers this and good stable 3G data I think internally locking to AT&T.

Can someone using net10 comment on the international calling if there are any caps or quality etc etc. I am not too much into data but just need a stable 3G when I am doing anything with the phone.

Let me know.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Hello.
I went with lots of options and currently zeroing down on net10 at the moment.
I am currently on t-mobile and let just say its pathetic. Of and on 3G here and there and mostly edge. The only thing that made me latch on was the international calling which is what I use most.
I learnt that net10 also offers this and good stable 3G data I think internally locking to AT&T.

Can someone using net10 comment on the international calling if there are any caps or quality etc etc. I am not too much into data but just need a stable 3G when I am doing anything with the phone.

Let me know.

If you can find Net10 AT&T SIMs go for it. At least from the their website they are only shipping T-Mobile SIMs right now. The same thing for Straight Talk as well. You might have to search eBay for an AT&T Net 10 SIM.

araje

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
If you can find Net10 AT&T SIMs go for it. At least from the their website they are only shipping T-Mobile SIMs right now. The same thing for Straight Talk as well. You might have to search eBay for an AT&T Net 10 SIM.

Doesn't bestbuy sell one of those ?

araje

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Doesn't bestbuy sell one of those ?

So I was at best buy today. They told me that there isn't anything like net10 AT&T or tmobile sim. The network just latches to one of the networks that has a stronger reception at that point.
So that means when I am on tmobile I will drop down to E again on an iPhone 5?
Tmobile 3G is practically useless on iPhone 5 I am leaving with it right now.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
So I was at best buy today. They told me that there isn't anything like net10 AT&T or tmobile sim. The network just latches to one of the networks that has a stronger reception at that point.
So that means when I am on tmobile I will drop down to E again on an iPhone 5?
Tmobile 3G is practically useless on iPhone 5 I am leaving with it right now.

I wouldnt fully buy what they told you at best buy.
Usually those mvno's have a deal with a certain carrier and they dont just switch according to signal from one to the other unless they really have to when there is no service at all from the main one.

araje

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
So I finally enrolled in Net10. I got my card, cut it to nano and used their web interface to enable the sim using a unlimited call plan airtime card.
When I restarted my phone a couple of times I don't see it latching yet to the network. It just says NO service.
The Carrier option in my settings has vanished and when I got to internal pages of settings it kind of shows me a AT&T sim. So looks like the sim is reading.

On the website side, it still says number is not yet assigned. But my airtime sim was accepted and it shows me the expiry date of service. It did say that it can take upto four hours to complete setup. Funny thing is on the box it says make a test call as soon as you put the card. This is kind of contradicting.

Anyways I don't see the website saying that the phone number is associated yet. So I am not yet freaking out. Hopefully by tomorrow morning it will be done.

Anybody who has used net10 before, how long did it take for you to get your number ? And your line to be active.

araje

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
My number got activated in about 4hours. In the morning I already had the number assigned to my SIM card.
The net service is good to - consistent 4G with speeds of 2-3Mbps. This is much better for a phone. Tethering is anyways not allowed on net10.

The only thing I am very much disappointed about is there international service. The quality is really pathetic. It just takes the experience to like 10 yrs back.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
I was going to say that my nephew bought a Net10 SIM at k-mart and it came with the regular and the micro SIM for the iPhone 4s and it is working fine for him on the AT&T network

araje

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Yes I am seeing that local and within US calls work flawlessly. I see 4G on my iPhone 5 but the best speeds I have got so far are 3Mbps. That's okay with me for a iPhone since the websites load fast. I come from tmobile with E so I am tres happy.

The only issue I see is the international calling quality. It's very horrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.