Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weeediee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Hi, I bought a flash drive to copy files from my Macbook Air - 4GB Transcend USB 2.0 - and I can't copy anything to it at all. It comes up with Error Code -8062. It's formatted to MS-DOS(FAT) and I am using OS X Mountain Lion.
Is the drive corrupted or something?

weeediee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Thanks, but I've tried reformatting it to every other option besides MS-DOS (FAT), and nothing works!
I know the flash drive works as I've just tried it with an old PC and could copy files to it easily, so it seems to be a problem with the mac. What else can I try other than reformatting? Do I perhaps have some permission issue with writing to an external drive? I can't seem to see any obvious problems...

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Thanks, but I've tried reformatting it to every other option besides MS-DOS (FAT), and nothing works!
I know the flash drive works as I've just tried it with an old PC and could copy files to it easily, so it seems to be a problem with the mac. What else can I try other than reformatting? Do I perhaps have some permission issue with writing to an external drive? I can't seem to see any obvious problems...

Silly question... are you formatting at the top level? Or just the partition itself? When you format it to Mac, does it then not work on the PC? If it still works on the PC after formatting to MacOS (ext/jour), disk utility may not be working correctly.

If you have a PC available, there's a series of dos formatting commands you can try. Let me know if you want them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.