Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itismadhan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Hey guys,

I have a HTC ONE X and I am planning on switchign to the iPhone 5. My major concern is just the Navigation. I use my One X as the GPS for my car and I love car mode. Is there something similar to car mode on iphone 5/ios 6? Please let me know!

Thanks!

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
There is a new Do not disturb feature so that you get no notifications from calls or texts
I take this back.. this is only when locked not sure how it works when you have the apps open.

itismadhan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Has anyone been using their iPhone 5 with apple maps as their daily driver GPS? All works fine?

BmoreDrumGuy

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Baltimore, MD
The iPhone does not have a car mode, like used on the Galaxy Note or S3. Nothing dedicated opens up when placed into a car mount/cradle. While I have found Apple's maps to be adequate, there are still alternatives in the market that are mostly better. Waze is a personal favorite of mine and works very well. Sadly, in the end, there is no car mode.

itismadhan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Is it possible to listen to music and do turn by turn navigation? i.e. does siri stop music and warn if there is an exit or turn up ahead?

BmoreDrumGuy

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I haven't had any experience with that situation on my iphone 5, but on my 4 running iOS 5, whenever waze updated my route with info, the music either paused or the volume decreased. I can't remember which it did. Sorry. I did notice that while Siri connected to my car's Bluetooth, turn by turn did not play through my car speakers using Apple Maps. Might be isolated with my car, others it might be different for. Going to try waze tomorrow and see if its the same.

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
Is it possible to listen to music and do turn by turn navigation? i.e. does siri stop music and warn if there is an exit or turn up ahead?

Yes, the music fades out and Siri tells you the directions. After, the music fades back in

falkedup

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011

Yes but the music source has to be your phone. If you want to listen to the radio and have apple maps cut in, it will only play out of the iPhone speaker. Siri will override the radio but Siri on apple maps navigation won't. Can't figure this out myself.

Bottom line, the car audio has to be on whatever input the iPhone is connected to or it won't play through the car.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Car Stereos with IOS7-ready integration is said to provide more functionality.

Manesh

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-01-30 22.49.46.png
    Screenshot 2018-01-30 22.49.46.png
    424.1 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.