Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:28 AM   #51
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
Condoms Condoms Condoms Condoms Condoms
Are you channeling your inner Dorothy Zbornak?

-----------------

I'm glad everyone is pretty much on the same level here.

Also, may I add to the fact that there is such a high risk among black males mainly due to many of them being on the down low and - while not believing they are part of the "HIV-spreading" gay community - inadvertadly pass the virus onto their female spouses, hence why there is such a large number of black straight women also affected with it.

A number of years ago, when I lived in NYC, I do remember the one or other commercial on TV addressing those exact statistics with a call for safer sex and regular check-ups.

When it comes to STDs/HIV, we're all in the same boat, no matter what society is trying to construct.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
in your opinion. Hell I actually agree with you but many people think differently.
Every gay man will disagree and you won't find an excuse why we should.

Unless we all become monks or priests (which is one of those ancient "gay abstinence" theories of mine).
Andeavor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:23 AM   #52
sim667
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
I support sex ed for high school age students. I think it's important because without better sex ed programs we end up with these dreadful statistics among teens related to HIV/AIDS.

Source: CDC
http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/sexu...sheet_ymsm.pdf

I was high school student when AIDS went mainstream in the late 1980's and early 90's, and we had it drilled into our heads that you abstain from sex or wear a condem. We have had several gay men and former heroin users come to school and tell us first hand that drugs/needles and unprotected sex was high risk.

So why isn't the message continuing to reverberate among Gen Y and millennials? Gay and black teens especially.
That'll be because white america doesn't give a **** about education black america, and doesn't approve of the gay.

God bless 'murica, land of the free.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:05 PM   #53
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
There are a number of points that haven't been addressed. The biggest being that the black religious community shared more with St Ronnie than it did with Oprah. It pretended that AIDs didn't exist amongst blacks (because of course teh ghey, was a white man's disease) and if it did (just hedging their bets) it was just the Tuskegee Syphilis Study all over again. Black religios leaders have a lot to answer for.

However, and I don't want anyone to think this is all about black youth, the third biggest group of young infecteds consists of young Hispanic men. In comparison, black American churches are totally ok with homos in comparison to the Mexican Catholic Church. In most of Mexico, it's ok for young men to 'play around' with each other because that ensures all those brides will be virgin but it's just 'play'.

Most of my American relatives, even those in their 80s, more or less get that I'm not going to be producing more Ugglets. However, amongst my Mexican friends, it's impossible for them to believe that I don't have a 'family'. Almost sacrilegious.

Hmmm, this certainly seems to point to religion as being the source of infection for many young gay men. It would be tempting to think that's the case but I believe that in Yrup, the biggest group of newly infected is also young gay men.

Is there some societal pressure for young men to take risks? I don't know but religion definitely plays a big role. It'll be interesting to see if the legalization of gay marriage results in a more positive self-view of young gay men. They are after all the group that commits suicide most often......
Old Jun 11, 2014, 03:36 PM   #54
takao
macrumors 68040

Send a message via ICQ to takao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
Hmmm, this certainly seems to point to religion as being the source of infection for many young gay men. It would be tempting to think that's the case but I believe that in Yrup, the biggest group of newly infected is also young gay men.

Is there some societal pressure for young men to take risks? I don't know but religion definitely plays a big role. It'll be interesting to see if the legalization of gay marriage results in a more positive self-view of young gay men. They are after all the group that commits suicide most often......
for german
http://www.aidshilfe.de/de/infothek/...en/deutschland
http://www.rki.de/DE/Content/Infekt/...ublicationFile

MSM: 73%
Heterosexuals contacts: 18,5% (8% men, 10,5% women)
IDU: 6%
Mother -> child transfer <1%

in 2012 84% of all infected were men

since 2003 MSM infections have more than _doubled_ heterosexual and IDU infections remained stable or even dropped slightly

in austria those numbers are around 1:1 between MSM(~40%) and HET(~40) but IUD is rather high with 18%
Austria has different medical laws etc. so i suspect total numbers are handled differently since i doubt there is much different behavior
Old Jun 11, 2014, 08:57 PM   #55
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Originally Posted by takao View Post
for german
http://www.aidshilfe.de/de/infothek/...en/deutschland
http://www.rki.de/DE/Content/Infekt/...ublicationFile

MSM: 73%
Heterosexuals contacts: 18,5% (8% men, 10,5% women)
IDU: 6%
Mother -> child transfer <1%

in 2012 84% of all infected were men

since 2003 MSM infections have more than _doubled_ heterosexual and IDU infections remained stable or even dropped slightly

in austria those numbers are around 1:1 between MSM(~40%) and HET(~40) but IUD is rather high with 18%
Austria has different medical laws etc. so i suspect total numbers are handled differently since i doubt there is much different behavior
This pretty much supports my statement. Interesting though is that HIV prevalence in North America is .6%while in Europe it is .2%. Link

Obviously this points to something in American society that's causing the higher infection rate. Europe has its minorities too but there isn't the same correlation that I can see. Obviously circumcision has no bearing on HIV since European men have a much lower rate of genital mutilation than do American men.

Personally, I think it's the pressure of American society that forces kids to act out. That's why we have a school shooting every week.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:31 PM   #56
The Doctor11
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post

Many many high schools that I am familiar with where I live support Abstinence-only education. Not once did the word "Condom" come out of the mouth of my Sex-Ed teacher in Middle School or High School. Essentially, our curriculum regarding sex was, "Don't have sex before marriage because God". We have tweens and teens in the country that do not know or think they have to use a condom when engaging in vaginal or anal sex.
At my school they talked about abstinence but they also talked about condoms. They said to always wear one but the only full proof way of not getting a std or getting pregnet is abstinence. Then the rest of health was about drugs, alcohol,energy drinks , and eating right.
The Doctor11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 02:54 AM   #57
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

Education is the key factor. It must also start early.

Although there is not yet an obligatory legal framework, comprehensive sexuality education is implemented in many secondary schools in the Netherlands. There is also growing attention for sexual and relational education in primary schools. There is a variety of programmes for non- school settings.
Secondary schools
Sexuality education is implemented in many secondary schools in the Netherlands, although there is not yet an*obligatory legal framework. This is why some, particularly faith-based, schools still can*refuse to*implement sex education, an option*often taken. Elsewhere, programmes are mostly comprehensive, often evidence-based and regularly updated.
Well-informed choices
Dutch sex education emerges from an understanding that young people are curious about sexuality and that they need, want and have a right to accurate and comprehensive information about sexual health. Materials are characterized by clear, direct, age-appropriate language in attractive designs. The leading message is: If you are going to have sex, do it safely.*The leading philosophy is: Young people have the right to adequate sex education so that they can make well-informed choices in sexuality and relationships.
Primary schools
As well as targeting*adolescents in secondary schools, primary schools are increasingly considered for sex education. Some*small-scale initiatives are already in place. The desirability, feasibility and efficacy of structural sex education in primary schools is presently under investigation.
Non-school settings
In addition to school-based sex education, a variety of programmes*are being carried out in non-school settings such as in youth-care contexts or*community centres. Such programmes, for instance, focus on specific themes, such as the sexual empowerment of girls, or the prevention of sexual aggression. National media campaigns promoting safer sex are*carried out*every year. A national media campaign promoting responsible sexual behaviour more broadly is presently being developed. To a*growing extent, specific programmes, measures and supportive structures are designed to serve groups with relatively high sexual healthcare needs, such as migrant groups and/or lower educated groups.*Newly developed interventions include*coordinated peer education and use of*‘new media’ such as social networks, internet forums and You Tube. Rutgers WPF is an important player in this field of sex-related intervention development and accompanying evaluatory research.

http://www.rutgerswpf.org/content/se...he-netherlands
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:44 AM   #58
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
This pretty much supports my statement. Interesting though is that HIV prevalence in North America is .6%while in Europe it is .2%. Link

Obviously this points to something in American society that's causing the higher infection rate. Europe has its minorities too but there isn't the same correlation that I can see. Obviously circumcision has no bearing on HIV since European men have a much lower rate of genital mutilation than do American men.

Personally, I think it's the pressure of American society that forces kids to act out. That's why we have a school shooting every week.
Our black population, which has the trifecta of being addled with IDU, prison, and low instances of monogamous marriage.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:47 AM   #59
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Our black population, which has the trifecta of being addled with IDU, prison, and low instances of monogamous marriage.
Do we really know if whites are any better? Or is the issue poverty? Or is the issue that the poor are more likely to get caught?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:55 AM   #60
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Do we really know if whites are any better? Or is the issue poverty? Or is the issue that the poor are more likely to get caught?
America has no shortage of poor whites in the USA.

I never really saw white poverty in America till I bounced around in the military, and it was pretty striking and eye opening.

I grew up in mostly poor black and hispanic areas in NYC, and even the poorest black kid was exposed to art, museums, cultural events, music, dance, with access to hospitals, medicaid and free shots.

Poorest white kids tended to be small town and rural and had exposure to nothing, and were cut off due to limited infrastructure.

So I think poverty is a factor, but not the largest. It's cultural. I'm absolutely certain that if the marriage rate of black America increased even 10-15%, the HIV/AIDS rate would decrease over a generation.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:02 PM   #61
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:

Damn straight.

http://theweek.com/article/index/255...#axzz34XlEfOQ9
Old Jun 13, 2014, 03:58 PM   #62
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Number one demographic on welfare in Georgia is single white mommies. I happen to like single white mommies.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 04:13 PM   #63
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Wow during my life as 80's High School my half class had two disturbing films. One was Blood on the Highway and the immediate crisis film about STDs. Both films made people throw up and the teacher spoke of the danger of what is now known as AIDs.

With today's PC Police I bet these scare tactics are long gone and even condom talk has been sued into oblivion.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 04:15 PM   #64
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post
Wow during my life as 80's High School my half class had two disturbing films. One was Blood on the Highway and the immediate crisis film about STDs. Both films made people throw up and the teacher spoke of the danger of what is now known as AIDs.

With today's PC Police I bet these scare tactics are long gone and even condom talk has been sued into oblivion.
I remember those films... LOL
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues