Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:22 PM   #1
hereliesandy
macrumors newbie

Can't format SSD to clean install ML

I have a 2011 11-inch MacBook Air that is giving me problems. I had Windows 7 installed on it via Boot Camp and got the offer that allowed me to update to Windows 8 for $15. Upon updating, I noticed that the OS froze after a while and the only way to unfreeze was to force shutdown.

Anyways, I got tired of this and decided to uninstall Windows 8 and reinstall Windows 7 but when I opened up Boot Camp Assistant to remove Windows, the partitioning went on forever (about 45 minutes before I decided to give up). I closed BCA and went into Recovery and Disk Utility where I tried to format and partition there and I got an error saying that I'm unable to unmount the disk.

Anyways, through a series of ill advised decisions, I have ended up formatting the partition with OS X and the Boot Camp partition. There is zero data on my Mac but I am still left with the two partitions. When I try to format them into 1 single partition, I get the same error (unable to unmount disk). Because of this, I am unable to reinstall OS X.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do?

Also I should note that I'm using OWC's 180 GB SSD so I doubt I'll be able to get Apple to help me out here. SMART status shows as verified in Disk Utility.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:57 AM   #2
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

You may have to boot into Internet Recovery to repartition successfully. To boot to Internet Recovery, hold option++R while starting up. Shortly you will see a globe icon and a progress bar and timer. You must connect to a network before this will start. Internet Recovery has the same capabilities as the standard Recovery HD does but operates off firmware rather than the drive itself. You cannot repartition the drive while started up to normal recovery as the Recovery HD is part of the drive that is being repartitioned; this is why it can't unmount.
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:56 PM   #3
hereliesandy
macrumors newbie

Thank you. I totally forgot about Internet Recovery and you saved me an embarrassing trip to the Apple Store/embarrassing phone call to OWC.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help