Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM   #1076
flowrider
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon771 View Post
I have the Inatek 4004 and it ejects my USB drives when my 4,1 goes to sleep. I've had it corrupt a single drive so far doing this.

I have Jettison installed now to eject the drives before sleep.

Annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
As annoyed as you are, it's not the card that causes this. It's the OS mostly. It's fairly well documented. Mac Format recently addressed the issue and explained that it's a combination of the OS X sleep routines and the drive's (to include the drive controller) sleep routine.
Now I'm not sure that is the correct answer. I also had the same issue with a MicroNet Fantom USB 3.0 HDD connected to the Inateck KT4004. That drive, could also not figure out whether it was a USB 2.0 or a USB 3.0 Device. On Start-Up, under System Information, it would show up both ways depending on it's mood. In frustration, after about 6 months of ownership, I finally returned the HDD to MicroNet. They found nothing wrong with the drive. After much eMail arguing, they finally issued me a credit. However, I was out the 13 bucks it cost to return the drive, and the frustration and time wasted using it.

I replaced it with Hornetek Viper USB 3.0 enclosure with a fast Seagate HDD. That combination, always starts up and acts like a USB SuperSpeed Device, and it has never once ejected itself from the USB 3.0 Card.

So, I believe the issue is not with Apple, but with the electronics employed by the manufacturer of the external drive or enclosure.

Lou
flowrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM   #1077
crjackson2134
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowrider View Post

I replaced it with Hornetek Viper USB 3.0 enclosure with a fast Seagate HDD. That combination, always starts up and acts like a USB SuperSpeed Device, and it has never once ejected itself from the USB 3.0 Card.

So, I believe the issue is not with Apple, but with the electronics employed by the manufacturer of the external drive or enclosure.

Lou
Lou, that sounds like we are talking about a different issue. I'm referring only to the issue where the drive eject notification appears after waking from sleep.

That notification can happen even if the drive was ejected properly before sleeping sometimes. That is the specific issue I'm talking about.

I've never had a drive spontaneously eject itself from the USB chain without cause. In that case, I would agree there is a hardware problem (weather it's a defect, or a compatibility issue).
HP RocketU 1144C USB 3.0/SOLO-X2/OS X 10.10
crjackson2134 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #1078
flowrider
macrumors 68000

^^^^My Friend, go back and read the post you were responding to. The posters drives were ejecting themselves, and then on a mouse movement, the drive would remount and the Disk Ejected Improperly warning would appear. Same thing happened to me with the Fantom Drive, and it also happens to me on my MBA with an Orico USB 3.0 enclosure. No an issue with the MBA, because that drive is backup only and usually not hooked up.

Lou
flowrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM   #1079
crjackson2134
macrumors 65816

I guess I misunderstood. Mea Culpa...
HP RocketU 1144C USB 3.0/SOLO-X2/OS X 10.10

Last edited by crjackson2134; Yesterday at 08:32 PM.
crjackson2134 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro