Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jc244

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Hey guys. So I bought a Mac Mini to use as my primary computer. Previously I was using a 2011 MBP 15". The specs were good. 2.3GHz quad-core, 16gb RAM, I had two SSDs in there. But I was looking at the MBA and ended up really liking the form factor and portability. Now I'm thinking whether I should give up my MBP for the Air. It's a difficult decision, I can't have both. What do you guys think? I would never sell my MBP if it were still my main computer at home but with the Mini I'm just not going to use it the way I have been. I will probably end up paying extra money to get the Air even when I sell my MBP but it really has me considering.

I use logic studio a lot at home but I don't think I'll be using the Air too much for making music. Just for general use and programming.

Thoughts?

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
I too have a mac mini for home use, and I am an Air guy,but my needs are not too great, depends on what you want to do.

Dewroo

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Tilton, NH.
I can't really speak for the better processors of the newer MBAs, but my 2011 model (c2d, 2GB ram) actually handles logic pro quite well. However, you will NEED to get a MBA with more ram and the better prosessor options, because some third party plugins will cause overloads and actually failing of the sound. At least in the late 2011 models.

But, I have been making music on it for over 6 months now and I've worked around the performance issues, since i cannot get a better mac for a while.

I put up with a lot but it's still very worth it, even though i buckled and had to get a 2gb ram model (Didn't buy from apple store.)

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I sold my 13" 2011 MBP in order to get a 13" 2012 MBA. The biggest reason for me was portability. Carrying around the MBA to class is no issue at all. I have to say for the majority of things I do, my MBA handles them like a champ. It really only stutters when I have stuff going on in After Effects (which I should be doing on my desktop anyway). For the uses you're describing a MBA would work fine.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
i sold my 2010MBP and picked up the 2012MBA because i had gotten the mac mini, and wanted the portability of the air, because for my main tasks at home i didn't need the power anymore having a mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.