Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
So... I had returned my iPad 4 after only having it for about a week because I wanted a computer after all. That computer being a 15 inch rMBP. Now I'm considering getting the iPad 4 again (I actually miss it) and getting an iMac when they become available. I think that would come out to be less for both than if I were to buy the rMBP by itself. Opinions?

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
So... I had returned my iPad 4 after only having it for about a week because I wanted a computer after all. That computer being a 15 inch rMBP. Now I'm considering getting the iPad 4 again (I actually miss it) and getting an iMac when they become available. I think that would come out to be less for both than if I were to buy the rMBP by itself. Opinions?

You can also help us out by telling us your use of those

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
You can also help us out by telling us your use of those

Nothing too crazy. Just Internet browsing, music, streaming, some photo editing. I know that I don't need the rMBP, it's more of a want than anything else. I know that I can get by with a MBA, but I don't want an Air. I tried using the iPad as my main computing device but it was too limited with the browser.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012

In my opinion that would definitely be the more reasonable choice. Having an iMac and an iPad 4 would be a better combination than having a rMBP and an iPad 4.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
In my opinion that would definitely be the more reasonable choice. Having an iMac and an iPad 4 would be a better combination than having a rMBP and an iPad 4.

Nah, if I got the rMBP I wouldn't get the iPad 4.

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Return the rmbp, and get an iMac 21 inch and an ipad 4? Cheaper combination and only thing is you won't have a laptop to bring around. You still can bring the ipad around though.

Azlan

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2011
I vote for the iPad 4 and iMac combo, like everyone else. I'm planning to buy both in a few days.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
You really need to assess your natural uses of the device first. For instant, i only use my laptop now for downloading movies or songs and open up Itune to connect with my ipad on a very long once in awhile because due to the better battery, the ipad is pretty much a stand alone device to me.

It has its limit, but there are many apps which lower the barrier a little bit.

For what it worth, i think u need both!!!

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Return the rmbp, and get an iMac 21 inch and an ipad 4? Cheaper combination and only thing is you won't have a laptop to bring around. You still can bring the ipad around though.

This! Do you need two portable computers? Do you need to do anything when out and about that you can't do on the iPad? If you have a good desk and chair for an iMac to do some work at and then use the iPad for everything else you can save some cash and have a nice lifestyle/workflow computer combo.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
retina 13" macbook pro?

I would get that if the specs were a bit better or if the price was lower.

----------

This! Do you need two portable computers? Do you need to do anything when out and about that you can't do on the iPad? If you have a good desk and chair for an iMac to do some work at and then use the iPad for everything else you can save some cash and have a nice lifestyle/workflow computer combo.

That actually brings me to another question. I have a good desk but a horrible chair. I've been searching for one online but they all look uncomfortable. Any recommendations on a good chair? Price isn't really an issue but I'd say no more than $300.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
get a macbook pro and ipad 4, its more portable

that is what i did, my mbp is supposed to be here today...I got the 13 mbp and caught it saturday when it was on sale for $962 at amazon, then bought a 256gb ssd and 16gb or ram to put in it...

Last edited:

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
that is what i did, my mbp is supposed to be here today...I got the 13 mbp and caught it saturday when it was on sale for $962 at amazon, then bought a 256gb ssd and 16gb or ram to put in it...

I was going to do that originally but I couldn't stand the resolution. Looking at all those pixels drove me insane.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
I was going to do that originally but I couldn't stand the resolution. Looking at all those pixels drove me insane.

I agree, the resolution didnt get me excited but since i use the ipad 4 most of the time I was willing to sacrifice to have both the 4 and the mbp for what i would have had in just the rmbp..

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Nah, if I got the rMBP I wouldn't get the iPad 4.

I see what you mean. Yeah, if you have the choice of either having one Apple product or two Apple products - definitely choose the latter :)

There would be no point, in my opinion, getting a rMBP with no iPad 4. Instead, get an iMac as a home computer and use your iPad 4 for a portable computer (which is the function a rMBP would serve anyways).

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
This. And the new iMacs look awesome.

Dude I know! I think I'll wait to get the 27". The 21.5" is nice but I want something bigger. I'm going back to best buy on Friday when I get paid to get the iPad 4. Still debating on whether I should get the 16GB or the 32GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.