Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:15 PM   #1
roccobladr
macrumors regular

iPhone 4S vs 5 hotspot tethering speeds

I have an ATT iPhone 4S and recently began using the mobile hotspot feature for work.

I am connecting an iPad 4 via bluetooth and my macbook air via bluetooth or USB.

I found that the MBA speeds were significantly slower than while using the iPad. Even so, the iPad tethered to the 4S isn't exactly "fast". I know there are other variables involved, but in general how much better would an iPhone 5 be with mobile hotspot/tethering speeds?
roccobladr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:38 PM   #2
chilibball
macrumors member

Much better if you're connected to LTE!

Kevin
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:14 PM   #3
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

From what I've seen AT&T LTE is 5x the speed of HSPA+. I think you can get a bit better speed from your existing 4S by using the WiFi hotspot feature to tether instead of Bluetooth.
bohbot16 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:36 AM   #4
BENJMNS
macrumors 6502

Unreliable. Phone sometimes struggles to connect with MacBook
BENJMNS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:26 AM   #5
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENJMNS View Post
Unreliable. Phone sometimes struggles to connect with MacBook
Perhaps you have a poor cellular reception?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:49 AM   #6
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a

With the bump in processor 5 is slightly faster but if you use LTE, yeah it would be much faster. Especially if your using Verizon's or Sprint's CDMA network for 3G connectivity

Twitter: @KarchaInSD
quietstormSD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:56 PM   #7
epphllps
macrumors 6502

iPhone 4S vs 5 hotspot tethering speeds

I have a Verizon iPhone 5 and pay for the hotspot instead of using a jailbreak app. My connection constantly drops every 10-15 minutes or so then reconnects.

I noticed then when trying to download the ios betas to my computer. The download just hangs and I have to start over. Can't use my ps3 online without getting disconnected every little bit too.

Has anyone else noticed this? The hotspot is incredibly inconsistent vs an android hotspot. Not sure what's up with it but I have gone through 3 phones and all do this.

Too answer the topic though, lte is mind blowing. Much faster than what the 4S can do.
epphllps is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone