Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Op

I have restricted internet access at work, so I can't hunt down the specific article, but I think it was on Kotaku.

Evidently the phone/charger will only smell this way when recently charged. I believe it was originally noticed in Japan, where it was becoming common practice to see people walking around, sniffing their phones. I am not making this up.

The general consensus of the article, the Japanese, and myself, is that it smells not unlike pineapple, but as you accurately guessed in your first post, it's something to do with plastics and metals heating up when they charge, and evidently the smell is not uncommon in most products that charge this way. I was able to notice it on my iPad 3, iPhone 4, Nexus 7, iPhone 5, and iPad Mini. Again, I think it's stronger if it has recently been charged.

Man, truth is really stranger than fiction. You couldn't make this stuff up.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Thanks for that.

Any serious answers?

Buy a new Xbox controller and smell the Play-N-Charge Port. Exact same smell. It's basically a 'new manufactured plastic that has been boxed up and had no time to air' smell. Not a cause to worry about.

bronner

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
Michigan
Apple wireless keyboard

I got an Apple keyboard that when I opened the box, it smelled like aluminum. It had a super metallic smell, and while the kb itself doesn't smell like that anymore, the box still does. It's a very nice smell.

Btw, some designer for cologne made a scent that smelled like a new Apple products, but I believe it was only for an event or something, I don't think it was actually put out to market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.