Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 1, 2013, 03:02 PM   #76
Rocketman
macrumors 603

The -i- stands for "interim". Always has, always will.

Rocketman
Old Apr 1, 2013, 03:42 PM   #77
unlinked
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranDotW View Post
"Internet pad device" I'm fairly certain no one referred to tablets as "pads" before or since the iPad. Most say "tab" or "tablet", unless it's the Asus E Pad, but I think the inspiration for that name is pretty self explanatory (ooh look we changed one letter!)
I guess you never looked at Star Trek.

Or used a NewsPAD.

unlinked is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 03:50 PM   #78
Lennholm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
Well the i isnt. That's what it has always stood for. Whether it makes any sense or not. The iMac was the " Internet" Mac.
"Internet" was only one of the things the i was said to stand for, they also said it stood for "individuality", "innovation", "intergrity" etc. Basically every buzz word they could come up with that starts with an i. It's nothing but a gimmick anyway.
Lennholm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 04:41 PM   #79
ApfelKuchen
macrumors 6502a

Don't worry, your tax dollars aren't on the line here. Applicants pay fees to USPTO for the service provided. The agency is completely self-funded. If anyone has a complaint about the quality of service, it's those who pay the fees.

I'd consider this a typical CYA trademark application. If Apple doesn't apply for a trademark, it could come back to bite them, and then, inevitably, there'll be a shareholder lawsuit (and a chance to complain about lawyers and frivolous lawsuits).

The only news here is that it's a relatively inept application. I consider the examiner's response to be a nose-tweak. "Come on, guys, you can do better than this."

The meaning of the mythical "i"? I have absolutely nothing to back up my theory, but I like "i for 'integrated," to mark the then-new iMac's return to the all-in-one form factor (for a desktop computer). Apple's continued use of "Mac" for desktop products requiring a separate monitor is reasonably strong circumstantial evidence.

Since then, iPrefix has become strongly connected to Apple, as iConic as the bitten apple iTself. Someday, maybe the company will assert that the use of the 'i' prefix is iNextricably connected to Apple, so that any other use would lead to consumer confusion (protect the poor consumer from iMitation goods/defend Apple's achievement from predation). But that's a risky road; lose the case and who knows how that might affect existing and future Apple trademarks.
ApfelKuchen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 05:18 PM   #80
TomA
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGuys View Post
April Fools ?!?!?!?!?!
Ha... good eye!
TomA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:46 PM   #81
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Likely true. Also likely true was that Apple didn't want its competitors tagging the word "computer" onto their electronic devices back in the day.

But, like a 5-year old, Apple doesn't always get everything it wants.
I completely agree. If competitors want to slap the word "mini" onto their product, more power to them. It's called competition.
kas23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:26 AM   #82
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

If this is real, this is very bad.

His argument for "i" is nonsense. The original iPod never connected to the internet, thus Apple never meant for the i to insinuate internet.

Also "MINI" is not a feature, it's a property. People don't buy an iPad mini because it will do "MINI". They buy it because it is mini in size, a property.

Dumbest thing ever.

Either way I could care less if Apple received the patent or not, it won't make a bit of difference in the real world.
nStyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 01:52 PM   #83
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nStyle View Post
His argument for "i" is nonsense. The original iPod never connected to the internet, thus Apple never meant for the i to insinuate internet.
You forget that Apple's own i-Naming started with the iMac, which DID connect to the internet.

At the time the iMac was named, "i" prefixes were in vogue due to the rise of the Internet and Interactive TV / applications. Heck, there were already trademarks by others on "iPod", "iPad", "iPhoto", "iBooks", etc.

According to the ad agency who invented the name, they sold the "i" to Jobs as being able to stand for: Internet, Imagination, or Individual.

(If you really don't know the MacMan -> iMac story, please read that link.)

Cheers!

Last edited by kdarling; Apr 3, 2013 at 01:59 PM.
kdarling is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:25 AM   #84
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
You forget that Apple's own i-Naming started with the iMac, which DID connect to the internet.

At the time the iMac was named, "i" prefixes were in vogue due to the rise of the Internet and Interactive TV / applications. Heck, there were already trademarks by others on "iPod", "iPad", "iPhoto", "iBooks", etc.

According to the ad agency who invented the name, they sold the "i" to Jobs as being able to stand for: Internet, Imagination, or Individual.

(If you really don't know the MacMan -> iMac story, please read that link.)

Cheers!
Good info, thanks.

Still not sure if this whole story was an April Fool's thing or not.
nStyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion