Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The macbook air would be my choice. The macbook pro is just an overall ripoff (1200 for a 5400rpm drive, 1280x800, and intel graphics no thanks) , the retina macbook pro has too many issues and is laggy. The air on the other hand doesn't have any huge compromises ( I never though I would say this a few years ago)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The macbook air would be my choice. The macbook pro is just an overall ripoff (1200 for a 5400rpm drive, 1280x800, and intel graphics no thanks) , the retina macbook pro has too many issues and is laggy. The air on the other hand doesn't have any huge compromises ( I never though I would say this a few years ago)

The "lag" is way overblown. The performance of the base rMBP is very similar to the high-end Air. It's pricier, of course, but we're starting to see some decent deals from Amazon and Best Buy. $1515 for the base 13" rMBP compares quite favorably to the MacBook Air, particularly since the i7 (which performs roughly on par to the i5 in the rMBP) is available only with the 256GB configuration on the 13" MBA.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The "lag" is way overblown. The performance of the base rMBP is very similar to the high-end Air. It's pricier, of course, but we're starting to see some decent deals from Amazon and Best Buy. $1515 for the base 13" rMBP compares quite favorably to the MacBook Air, particularly since the i7 (which performs roughly on par to the i5 in the rMBP) is available only with the 256GB configuration on the 13" MBA.

No its not. The have the exact same graphics chip (hd4000). It does fine with 1440x900 but completely chugs on 2560x1600. I have used both extensively. The rmbp is very laggy.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
No its not. The have the exact same graphics chip (hd4000). It does fine with 1440x900 but completely chugs on 2560x1600. I have used both extensively. The rmbp is very laggy.

So have I. Sure, I see a little bit of a difference when viewing a graphics-intensive website like the Verge, but I don't run FPS benchmarks. I also notice a difference when using the nightly webkit builds, which leads me to believe that most of the lag is software-related. Apple is working the kinks out. I don't recall people complaining about the "lag" when using Apple Cinema Displays in 2008 on Core 2 Duo machines with NVIDIA 9400m IGPs.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Oh don't tell me the 13 rMBP has a lag issue...I was pretty set on ordering one this week.

I still keep weighting pros and cons of all 13 size options
cMBp-rMBP-MBA
:mad:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Oh don't tell me the 13 rMBP has a lag issue...I was pretty set on ordering one this week.

I still keep weighting pros and cons of all 13 size options
cMBp-rMBP-MBA
:mad:

What types of programs do you plan to run on it? I'm sure if I wanted to try to find a lag issue and ran a battery of tests with several different Mac and PC models side by side I could detect one, but in everyday usage I don't notice it. I do notice how sharp the text is, and how detailed photographs and images are.

I had an 11" MacBook Air previously. The 13" rMBP is a lot nicer, even if my 2.0GHz i7-equipped Air offered similar overall performance. The color gamut is richer on the rMBP, and the available resolution is much nicer. I run it in "Best for Retina" most of the time, but being able to emulate 1650x1080 or 1440x900 is nice. With QuickRes a whole host of other resolutions are also just a click of the mouse away. The slightly longer key travel takes some getting used to, as does the extra 1.2lbs, but the transition is pretty easy.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
What types of programs do you plan to run on it? I'm sure if I wanted to try to find a lag issue and ran a battery of tests with several different Mac and PC models side by side I could detect one, but in everyday usage I don't notice it. I do notice how sharp the text is, and how detailed photographs and images are.

I had an 11" MacBook Air previously. The 13" rMBP is a lot nicer, even if my 2.0GHz i7-equipped Air offered similar overall performance. The color gamut is richer on the rMBP, and the available resolution is much nicer. I run it in "Best for Retina" most of the time, but being able to emulate 1650x1080 or 1440x900 is nice. With QuickRes a whole host of other resolutions are also just a click of the mouse away. The slightly longer key travel takes some getting used to, as does the extra 1.2lbs, but the transition is pretty easy.

The only heavy ram hungry app I'd be using is Lightroom...so that with everyday usage....for example with multiple safari tabs going, mail open always, pandora one playing, etc..

Just didn't wanna deal with a lag issue..I'm pretty sold on the rMBP since I've already owned a 11 MBA recently.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
I was looking at the same options as you. Here is what I came up with. All 13"

1) MB Air - Thin and light. But no NIC or upgradeability, wanted DVD/RW.
2) cMBP - Still thin enough and light enough. Good display, DVD/RW, NIC, and EXPANDABLE!!!!
3) rMBP - Good display, (but not worth the $$$ for me), NIC, DVD/RW, but no expandability. I want a little freedom to upgrade. Read of lag issues.

Anyone know if Apple is getting away from our ability to upgrade the MBP? Was concerned after the rMBP that our freedom to upgrade ourselves will be taken away in future versions.

BTW....ended up with cMBP and no regrets. Added 16GB ram and plan on SSD when they go down a little more.

You have to ask yourself what you want. Do you need the better display, does the lack of expandability bother you? Will you notice the lag like some have reported with the rMBP? Is the display good enough to warrant the price premium, and do you have that kind of extra cash? For the extra cost of the rMBP over the cMBP, you could build a gaming rig if that is your thing. Or get a 42" plasma for your spare room. A rockin' surround sound system. (maybe not rockin', but good). A Wii U, Xbox 360, or PS3 with games. Maybe that new chair you wanted so you can surf the web on your new cMBP.

What is most important to you?
Expandability
Cost
Display
Speed
etc.

Good luck on your choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.