Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reliz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
:confused:help! I have hooked up my ITouch to a new computer and it synced automatically, YES I know a very dumb thing to not have checked out. Its done and ALL my music is gone and not on this computer. However, my understanding from HOURS of searching the web is that the back up file was created FROM the music ...and its is in the Mobile Sync file that I have located and it seems full of files. What kind of files it is unclear.
BIG question, if these are in fact the music files taken off the Itouch and then the Itouch was cleared out, HOW do I access them and put them into a new ITunes library?
Copy and then transfer did not work. Simply adding the folder thru the library did not work. I really want my music....and the old computer crashed hard drive with absolutely NO access available. so......
Help will be incredibly enormously appreciated asap...been working for days.
THANK YOU

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
:confused:help! I have hooked up my ITouch to a new computer and it synced automatically, YES I know a very dumb thing to not have checked out. Its done and ALL my music is gone and not on this computer. However, my understanding from HOURS of searching the web is that the back up file was created FROM the music ...and its is in the Mobile Sync file that I have located and it seems full of files. What kind of files it is unclear.
BIG question, if these are in fact the music files taken off the Itouch and then the Itouch was cleared out, HOW do I access them and put them into a new ITunes library?
Copy and then transfer did not work. Simply adding the folder thru the library did not work. I really want my music....and the old computer crashed hard drive with absolutely NO access available. so......
THANK YOU

The backup iTunes takes when you sync your touch does not keep a copy of all your music.

So I'm afraid unless you have some other backup of your computer or have got iTunes match or purchased all your music through iTunes, I'm afraid there is no way to recover the files.

reliz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
The backup iTunes takes when you sync your touch does not keep a copy of all your music.

So I'm afraid unless you have some other backup of your computer or have got iTunes match or purchased all your music through iTunes, I'm afraid there is no way to recover the files.

Was afraid this was the case.
Have no other back up of my itunes library.are ANY of these files music?

----------

Are there any programs, free or not, that can unerase these music files?

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Is there no way to sync it back to the original computer that it was synced with? If you could sync, you could restore the backup from there.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
THANK YOU

You can re-download any itunes purchases for free, but other than that, I'm afraid you're out of luck. Always keep a backup in the future.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The music is all on the computer that you used previously. You should have a backup of that computer. Or you should have the computer itself. If you don't have a backup, or the computer is gone, or you weren't using iTunes Match, you can download any music but not audio books purchased on iTunes again; I don't know what other services like Amazon do; and of course you can rip all your CDs again. If the old computer is broken and the defect is not the hard drive, you can probably open it, take the hard drive out, buy a cheap USB enclosure for £10 or £20, and plug it into your new computer.

Using Time Machine for backups is _highly_ recommended. iTunes also allows you to backup all your music onto CDs or DVDs. Fact is that the hard drive on your new computer _will_ die one day, and if you have no backup, all the data on your new computer will be lost again.

Just did a search for Amazon and found this: "Your Amazon MP3 Music purchases can only be downloaded once. After you have successfully downloaded the file to your computer at the time of purchase, we recommend that you create a backup copy. We are currently unable to replace any purchased files that you delete or lose due to a system or disk error. If you encounter a problem with an MP3 file immediately after purchase, please click the Customer Service button in the Contact Us box in the right-hand column of this page so we can determine how to help you."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.