Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I have used the iPad to go paperless in my office. The combination of long battery life/ stylus input and 3G access makes it very useful for me in different ways: it's easier (and more comfortable) to read and mark up pdfs on an iPad compared to my Air (especially on a retina screen), I never have to worry about sitting next to an electricity socket when I go to conferences or seminars, I never have to worry about not finding wifi when I'm on the move or away on workshops or a seminar, all my hand written notes and sketches are in one place, and so on. I find that the iPad has been a very valuable addition to my work flow. Of course, I could 'survive' without it, but it contributes something to my work flow which my Air or smart phone don't offer me. I can't really work on my smart phone, and I find the iPad more portable than my 13" Air. I've written more about it here:

http://macademise.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/ipad-tool-or-toy-2/

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
I'd say my main motivation would be iBooks /Kindle. The iPhone is a bit small for reading books and I never particularly enjoyed reading on my MBA, nor is iBooks available on OSX. To the OP's point there is quite a bit of cross over and I have asked my self I need so many devices. Since finishing school I just don't use my MBA all that much and have been considering selling it. I don't see the iPad as a laptop replacement but I'm beginning to realize at this point in my life I just don't really need a laptop.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I often see people with iPhone, laptop, and iPad but my question is why buy an iPad if you have an iPhone and laptop, especially if you have a laptop like the Air that is very portable.

I understand more so if you have an iMac at home.

What do you do with your iPad that you can't do with your laptop or iPhone?

I think it's a great device but what void does it fill if you have a laptop/iphone?

I can tell you have not sat down and used an iPad. They are great and even superior for cruising the Internet and dealing with everyday email. No, they can't replace my computers, the iPad is simply a welcome addition.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
I often see people with iPhone, laptop, and iPad but my question is why buy an iPad if you have an iPhone and laptop, especially if you have a laptop like the Air that is very portable.

I understand more so if you have an iMac at home.

What do you do with your iPad that you can't do with your laptop or iPhone?

I think it's a great device but what void does it fill if you have a laptop/iphone?

Reading books on the road, which you cant do on the iPhone or macbook air.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
why can't you project your rMBP onto the smartboard?

as far as work device doesn't a touch keyboard get in the way? or I am assuming that you use your MBP then transfer it to your iPad.

I do project my rMBP to the board, then use the iPad to do all those other things like attendance or quick check of Internet or grades. If I need to leave the room, I bring the iPad with me and leave the rMBP plugged into the board.

Touchscreen keyboard hasn't bothered me. I'm used to it.

jimmysuggs

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
True, lets run around naked and live in trees.

Um, you missed the point a little here so let me try again in a simpler way:

I wasn't suggesting we abandon all technology and go back to nature.

I was trying to explain the difference between want and need, in an attempt to answer the OP's question about why so many people choose the ipad. Some folks seem to confuse "need" with "want," so I was attempting to clarify it.

May I suggest you read posts a bite more carefully before responding? You totally missed the (fairly obvious) point that I was making. It had nothing to do with technology being bad or us needing to banish it from our lives.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Ok lets see I have an Ipad, Iphone, and MBP. I'm a family of 4, a teenager, a 9yr old and the wife.

Heres the useages:

Iphone - the wife and I use them as texters and callers, the internet features when out and about.

ipad - watching netflix and web surfing when lounging in bed, couch, backyard, at meetings.

Laptop - for doing work etc, childrens home work (book reports etc).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.