Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:41 AM   #51
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Show me one instance anywhere on the entire Internet or in the entire world where anyone with a bent iPhone 5 has proven that it wasn't bent with excessive force or some type of other accidental damage. If you can prove to me that any of these were damaged fom normal use then I will go out and buy a short yellow bus and drive out to you so you can make fun of me in person.
Mwahahaha. Don't believe it then. I see plenty of issues popping up for you where visual proof may be absent.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
For my sake I hope so because I can't afford a bus.
You won't be buying it, only picked up and dropped off each day.
Jalopybox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:54 AM   #52
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopybox View Post
Mwahahaha. Don't believe it then. I see plenty of issues popping up for you where visual proof may be absent.

----------



You won't be buying it, only picked up and dropped off each day.
Well then please share it with the rest of us. Again, I'm not denying the phones bend. It's just how people are saying they bend that I don't believe, especially since I've been going caseless since launch day and doing the exact things that people claim has bent their phones. I won't believe until I see proof that a phone magically bends by itself inside a case.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:56 AM   #53
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
I don't see how people think just because you put a plastic and rubber case over a phone that it's somehow not bendable. Last time I tried, plastic and rubber both bent MORE than metal and therefore, Otterbox Defender or whatever, the phone can still bend in the case.
A weak metal structure will bend far easier than a rigid, purpose-built plastic polymer case.
Jsameds is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:13 AM   #54
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Well then please share it with the rest of us. Again, I'm not denying the phones bend. It's just how people are saying they bend that I don't believe, especially since I've been going caseless since launch day and doing the exact things that people claim has bent their phones. I won't believe until I see proof that a phone magically bends by itself inside a case.
I discredit anyone who says they bend while untouched. What I did say was that people with bent phones who have not put them in a vice, dropped them, etc. who use them normally, may end up with a bent phone simply by having it in their pocket, backpack, etc. It takes very little force to bend these phones given the material Apple used. Non-tempered 6061 aluminum at that thickness is very pliable in comparison to the 4 and 4S. Inadvertent bent phones are going to happen with this model even without the user being aware.
Jalopybox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:12 PM   #55
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopybox View Post
I discredit anyone who says they bend while untouched. What I did say was that people with bent phones who have not put them in a vice, dropped them, etc. who use them normally, may end up with a bent phone simply by having it in their pocket, backpack, etc. It takes very little force to bend these phones given the material Apple used. Non-tempered 6061 aluminum at that thickness is very pliable in comparison to the 4 and 4S. Inadvertent bent phones are going to happen with this model even without the user being aware.
Well put. It's still hard for me to think its that easy given the few claims we have seen out of the millions of phones out there. I will definitely agree that it is easier to bend than the older models. But I do not believe it is a flawed design. Just my personal opinion. Either way. I'm spending too much time arguing on the Internet so I'm going to step out for a bit and just observe.

I'm going to punch myself if my phone gets bent tomorrow.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:03 PM   #56
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Well put. It's still hard for me to think its that easy given the few claims we have seen out of the millions of phones out there. I will definitely agree that it is easier to bend than the older models. But I do not believe it is a flawed design. Just my personal opinion. Either way. I'm spending too much time arguing on the Internet so I'm going to step out for a bit and just observe.

I'm going to punch myself if my phone gets bent tomorrow.
I would say this is a situation where the design is only flawed if it happens to you. I personally agree with you, but at the same time if my phone bends I'll be calling it a flawed design like everyone else.
VandyChem2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:24 PM   #57
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Must be Uri Gellar's work
Jsameds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:34 PM   #58
iSensei
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
So stop sitting on your ass with the phone in your back pocket. You Americans need warning labels on suppositories not to eat them...
iSensei is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:49 PM   #59
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Practical jokes from those Foxconn kids. Payback for forcing them work overtime.
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:13 PM   #60
Sherifftruman
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I think people just don't realize how much pressure can be put on the phone when they sit down in jeans. Unless they are seriously loose and baggy, they are conforming to your body and where the front and back pockets are, your body curves. (shocker, I know )

An Otterbox is strong enough to resist many impacts, but it's just plastic and rubber, right? It can still bend and if it bends, the phone can bend. Obviously where the holes are on the side there is less metal and it is weaker there. Bam, it fails.

I am pretty careful to take my phone out if my pocket when I sit down pretty much all the time now after reading these threads.
Sherifftruman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:36 PM   #61
itjw
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
I dropped my phone from a height of no more than 4 inches onto a bed of fluffy pillows and it bent at a 90 degree angle!!!!

You have to believe me! This is the internet! (I'm also a French model ladies... call me).

Thus is the problem with these unbelieveable claims of damage. Be it "defective anodized coating" wiping off with a cloth, short drops onto soft surfaces causing catastrophic damage, or something as silly as spontaneous bending, it's just not very likely and therefore requires some PROOF.

Aluminum is easier to bend. Does it bend easy? Not really, just easi-ER than something like stainless steel. If you apply a lot of pressure you can break almost anything.

Thread solved. You broke your phone. AC+ or pay $229. It's no one's fault that it isn't indestructible. They don't even advertise it as highly durable for that matter. It's 100% on you.
itjw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:19 PM   #62
Grolubao
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
I don't need to prove anything here. My friend uses her iPhone in the back pocket, and never sat on it and the iPhone is slightly bended, not a lot, but I could notice it.
Grolubao is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:37 PM   #63
itjw
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grolubao View Post
I don't need to prove anything here. My friend uses her iPhone in the back pocket, and never sat on it and the iPhone is slightly bended, not a lot, but I could notice it.
Sweet.

On an unrelated note, aliens abducted my phone... and when it came back it prints real $100 bills! (no proof sorry, I don't need to prove nuthin!)

Ahhh the internets...

itjw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:12 PM   #64
polish101
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Apple CS sent the pics to engineering. They said don't sit on it and to put it in an Otter Box. CS told them it was in an Otter Box. CS agreed that it is everyday practice that people put their phones in their pockets and replaced the phone. Although I belive it was bent slightly during production and only got worse. Its like an aluminum antena on the old radios that gets slightly bent they are never the same after.
polish101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:21 PM   #65
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grolubao View Post
I don't need to prove anything here. My friend uses her iPhone in the back pocket, and never sat on it and the iPhone is slightly bended, not a lot, but I could notice it.
No problem. Just turn it around the other way and sit on it. Should straighten it right out.....
Givmeabrek is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:20 PM   #66
macjoshua
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Maybe it's happening in the process of putting on and taking off cases. I had a hardshell case that fit my iPad really tight. The protection was great, but I noticed after I took the case off (which was a challenge) that the iPad was bent slightly at the bottom, where the most pressure had to be applied for removal.

I haven't used an Otterbox case, but maybe this is a possibility?
macjoshua is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:09 AM   #67
tensiondeadache
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjoshua View Post
Maybe it's happening in the process of putting on and taking off cases. I had a hardshell case that fit my iPad really tight. The protection was great, but I noticed after I took the case off (which was a challenge) that the iPad was bent slightly at the bottom, where the most pressure had to be applied for removal.

I haven't used an Otterbox case, but maybe this is a possibility?
Pretty sure it's the cases
tensiondeadache is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:21 AM   #68
njean777
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Mine bent also op, I have never dropped it at all, or even put any pressure on it aside from my front pants pocket. So yes this problem is real, no matter how many people say it is not.
njean777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:25 AM   #69
DoNoHarm
macrumors 65816
 
DoNoHarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SFO
Looks stepped on to me...

DoNoHarm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:45 AM   #70
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Alright, before I upgrade, I will use one of AppleCare + replacements to see how much force is required to bend it.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:47 AM   #71
Switchback666
macrumors 65816
 
Switchback666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Caribbean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek View Post
No problem. Just turn it around the other way and sit on it. Should straighten it right out.....
These guy is a hero ! amazing how nobody have suggested these fix, not even apple.
__________________
What is The B.D.S Movement ? Check it out, The B.D.S Movement !
FREEDOM, JUSTICE & EQUALITY !
Switchback666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:46 AM   #72
tensiondeadache
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by njean777 View Post
Mine bent also op, I have never dropped it at all, or even put any pressure on it aside from my front pants pocket. So yes this problem is real, no matter how many people say it is not.
The phone is great, but structurally flawed. I will be returning it and getting a different phone.
tensiondeadache is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:02 AM   #73
Johnnymarks18
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I actually too have bent my new iphone 5. No I don't have pictures, but I returned it to a Verizon wireless store. I have had it in an otterbox defender series case from day one. Never left it. To be honest, I think the case is the reason it bent. My brother was joking around, punched my leg, nicked the corner of my iphone, and when I turned my phone on coming out of the movie theater, I noticed (inside my case) that light was shining excessively from the top left corner backlight. I know that that usually means there is pressure on the glass. I took my phone out, thinking it was the case, but I soon found out my phone was bent on the left at the right of the volume down button and across the back left. I was sure pissed at my brother because I just had purchased it a couple weeks prior. Anyway, yes It did bend, while in a case. If you have an otter box, take your phone out and bend the case (without phone) from corner to diagnol corner and you may notice a twisting motion. My iphone 4 otterbox never bent like this. So I think because the phone case is longer (physics) that the bending is much larger. Because the phone is so tight in the case, the bending motion flows right through to the phone... Oh we'll, I complained to the Verizon store (hate their customer service btw) and they exchanged it. 300$ and a bent phone within 30 days of having it for two years, you bet your @ss I'm getting a free replacement...
Johnnymarks18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bent iPhone 5! Ryan Burgess iPhone 131 Nov 6, 2013 08:07 AM
Need help bent my iPhone jz7410 iPhone 12 Jun 26, 2013 04:17 AM
Another Bent iPhone velibor iPhone 27 Jun 24, 2013 07:22 AM
Bent iPhone 5 Aaronneil iPhone 70 Jan 27, 2013 05:28 PM
How can I tell if my iPhone 5 is bent? Myiphone7 iPhone 109 Nov 1, 2012 12:43 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC