Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I have the latest Air, fully specced. 2ghz i7, 8gig ram, SSD. Intel Graphics 4000.

New Mini is 2.3 i7 4core, same intel 4000. I have 8 gigs of ram for it already sitting in a box, and then I can get a Fusion drive which I don't really care about. I don't need the storage though, my Air only uses about 120gigs.

I really want one for my home machine. I have a Thunderbolt display already. I just don't see any real gains over the Air as far as heavy design work. A bit more processor, but the same ****** graphics and screen tearing and bad redrawing as the Air. No SDD speed boost. No ram boost.

Is there something I am missing? Or is it really just not worth the cash for basically a $1200 i7 upgrade??????

Please weigh in.

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
16GB RAM and more storage with fusion

side note: have you looked at connecting a high end graphics card via thunderbolt port with sonnet echo express expansion bay and "red the rocket" card?

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
16GB RAM and more storage with fusion

side note: have you looked at connecting a high end graphics card via thunderbolt port with sonnet echo express expansion bay and "red the rocket" card?

The 16gb of ram would be the same in the mini. And I have no need for more storage than 256 SSD at all, which the Air has.

I have never heard of the expansion bays, but those look awesome. Probably not really in the budget though.

I think I am answering my own question here now that I am thinking about it. I need the iMac =/

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I think I am answering my own question here now that I am thinking about it. I need the iMac =/

Mini use 4 cores (mobile cpu), iMac use 4 cores (desktop cpu). Plus that you get more ram compared to the MBA.

CPU benchmarks for the highend mini should be quite a bit higher compared to the MBA. The CPU in the iMac is somewhat faster than the Mini, but not much.

A iMac with the i7 would cost you quite a lot more than the Mini, wish you should take into account.

Question is rather, do you need GPU power + screen? If not choose the Mini if the budget is limited.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
If you already have the Thunderbolt display, it doesn't make any sense to buy an iMac. The 2.3 quad core mini's geekbench score is over 60% higher than the top of the line Air. There is a difference.

Buying the iMac is just spending the $1000 for the Thunderbolt display again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.