Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:01 AM   #76
iGav
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
I don't want to cause offense, but I some times think that people in the UK use the EU as an excuse for their failure.
It's not really to do with the EU itself, more us attempting to be good and fair europeans by not being protectionist about who comes in, who invests, who buys and who leaves. We've embraced that attitude and approach, far more enthusiastically than some other european countries for example.

Quote:
I'm sure that many British people think that there is a special office in Brussels, which thinks up rules and regulations only to be used against the UK.
Only Daily Mail readers one suspects.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:09 AM   #77
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGav View Post
It's not really to do with the EU itself, more us attempting to be good and fair europeans by not being protectionist about who comes in, who invests, who buys and who leaves. We've embraced that attitude and approach, far more enthusiastically than some other european countries for example.
I think that the free market that started under Margaret Thatcher, and was pushed harder in the UK than in the rest of Europe Union did the most damage to your economy. Every thing based on short term agenda's, the stock price was king, and the city ruled them all. Till 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGav View Post
Only Daily Mail readers one suspects.
That is probably true.

Last edited by Happybunny; Jan 15, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
Happybunny is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:46 AM   #78
sim667
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I don't want to cause offense, but I some times think that people in the UK use the EU as an excuse for their failure.
I'm sure that many British people think that there is a special office in Brussels, which thinks up rules and regulations only to be used against the UK.
Unfortunately the ones that use the EU excuse are the ones causing our problems in the first place usually
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:00 PM   #79
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
Interesting article in the NYT about Adam Posen and the lack of success of the British austerity program.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/ma...1C213846EE44CA

I just have to comment that, in my lifetime, the pragmatic Keynesians sure have seemed to have a better track record than the Hayek/von-Mises/Friedman camps, which all share a lack of pragmatism-- what actually works, as opposed to what they think "should" work.
Perhaps I missed this discussion/comment...

But where has Hayek/Friedman/etc.... been implemented to judge such a track record?

The real truth here is that money is funny, and sometimes certain things work, even if they are Keynesian, and sometimes they don't.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues