Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oliver G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I have just noticed a small crack at the top right of my iPhone 4S, picture of crack below.

http://flic.kr/p/dNhFje

As you can see it is not a huge crack and the Speck Pixel cover I have for it currently covers about 60% of the crack up.

It is no where near the screen or any part of the iPhone that I touch/use regularly.

I was wondering should I worry about this crack? Will it get bigger, will the glass come off?

I have about 9 months left on my contract, but will upgrade when new iPhone is released this year.

So basically should I stick with it for another 6-9 months?

What are the pros and cons?

Sorry if this has been asked before

Oliver G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Really? I am worried that it might get bigger or the Glass will come out?

Or will it just stay the same if I don't drop it again of course. I have now put a Speck PixelSkin on it, and it almost covers up the crack, will this be good enough?

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I have just noticed a small crack at the top right of my iPhone 4S, picture of crack below.

As you can see it is not a huge crack and the Speck Pixel cover I have for it currently covers about 60% of the crack up.

It is no where near the screen or any part of the iPhone that I touch/use regularly.

I was wondering should I worry about this crack? Will it get bigger, will the glass come off?

I have about 9 months left on my contract, but will upgrade when new iPhone is released this year.

Man, now you've got me checking my phone lol. I just found a small scratch on the screen. You can't even tell if you don't look for it though. But to answer your question. Unless its a HUGE crack that goes from one side of the screen to the other, then you have nothing to worry about. If it bothers you that much, put a skin on it, you know the black skins that look exactly like the iPhone 4/4S and your won't even notice it's there.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
iPhones seem to be proned to cracking but doesn't affect its functionality, if that's what you are worrying about. Meaning it's just cosmetic, and since it's not covered under warranty or regular Applecare, just wait until it get worse (if it ever) then you can decide whether to replace it or not at your expense.

If it really bothers you, check whether you purchased it with a premium cc or amex, they usually come with some kind of purchase insurance but is up to you to read the fine prints on your cc service contract.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
mine's been cracked from bottom right corner right thru middle of the screen to the other side and it has been like that since summer. No problems with glass or display...dont fix it, its not worth it lol

iphone46

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011

It'll be fine. My iphone 4 is cracked EXACTLY like that in the bottom right and the only thing that has happened is the ring switch doesn't work(my fault) and the lock button doesn't work but this is my 3rd(4th?) iPhone 4 replacement to have a broken lock button:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.