Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Hi there,
Would people mind advising re my best strategy for starting fresh after I install my new Accelsior SSD (via PCI-e slot)?

Since this new SSD is going in a PCI-e slot, I don't have to take out the internal SATA drive that's been my boot drive until now... correct? I can just leave it in place, it seems to me.

So then how do I best go about installing Mountain Lion on the new SSD, and making it my boot drive? It would seem to me that I have to:

1. boot up my old drive (that has Snow Leopard on it), as usual, and then
2. use Disk Utility to initialize the new SSD drive
3. install Mountain Lion on the new SSD
4. restart and holding down the 'C' key (or another one; I can check on this), choose to boot up from the new SSD drive; in System preferences, I can then probably make this new SSD my regular boot drive.
5. At that point, my old main hard drive is just another drive... I can copy key apps from it to my new SSD drive... and away I go.

Does this all make sense?
Thanks for any advice...
malch

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
That works. But if you have a usb flash drive with mountain lion, you can just boot into the usb and just use disk utility built into the installer to initialize/format/partition it and just install as is.

Hope this helps.

mokeiko

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
That works. But if you have a usb flash drive with mountain lion, you can just boot into the usb and just use disk utility built into the installer to initialize/format/partition it and just install as is.

Hope this helps.

+1

I use this method and find it the easiest way.

mokeiko

malch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
thank you both... I'm doing it now (and saving a copy of Mountain Lion on a USB flash drive).
regards,
malch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.