Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSoundshaper

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
It could be your phone

I have had an apple TV for a year and it would go in and out for the longest time. It turned out to be interference from my phone. I was on the phone with apple tech support for 3 hours one night and could get nothing to work. As soon as I hung up the phone the apple tv came right back up. My wireless home phone worked on some frequency that bugged out the airport extreme wifi and apple tv. Before I bought my house and lived in an apartment whenever my phone or neighbors phone rang the apple tv would disconnect. I got a better set of wireless telephones and the problem went away.

criwil

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
My solution

I took off the Mixed "Network Mode" in my router... and made it only broadcast in Wireless N. No restart of itunes and on two different computers at the same time, the Apple TV showed up.

supermanslc

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
potential solution discovered!!!

Hello everyone. I have some solutions to offer. First, my Speadstream router 6520, when set to channel 11, interfered with my remote dooorbell and even my remote to open the garage door! Changing to channel 8 (but you can try any different channel that works best for you), solved that problem completely and prevented 50% of the drops of ATV from iTunes.

The second solution was completely rediculous and I'm surprised Apple didn't suggest it. Go to "System Preferences" and select "Energy Saver". The "Wake for network access" needs to be checked.

Please confirm the effectiveness of this solution with a reply.

wattsjus

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2012
Figured Something out

I know this is an old post but I was searching for a while before trying to find some kind of answers. I had the same issues and figure out it really was a network problem but the problem only started when the ATV was in use in a home network connection. My situation I was using a wifi extender and for some reason the ATV didn't like that extender (or the extender could have been too close to the router). As soon as I disconnected the extender the apple tv did start to work much better; but it still does disconnect but will still respond after exiting, at least now I can use it at an hour at a time rather than 5 minutes at a time. Also another situation I had was my internet was slow before .65Mbps and I didn't have an extender at that time and the same thing was happening. So when I got faster internet I put up an extender so I thought it was still the ATV (still is but not as badly). Right now I have a 10Mbps line and everything is working MUCH better. I also think the ATV works better when hard wired to the router rather than working on wifi. The iTunes connections can be wifi as I found out but the ATV doesn't work well with wifi. I thought that was the whole point of ATV though...in that aspect that is a big Apple fail.

kyle.mullaney

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
I know this is an old post but I was searching for a while before trying to find some kind of answers. I had the same issues and figure out it really was a network problem but the problem only started when the ATV was in use in a home network connection. My situation I was using a wifi extender and for some reason the ATV didn't like that extender (or the extender could have been too close to the router)."

I have the same problem, kind of. I just got my apple tv for christmas and it has been fine. Then a few days ago it started dropping it's homesharing connection. I know that the signal in my living room is weak, thick rebar filled concrete walls typical in asia, so when it started dropping I just chalked it up to the connection. I broke down and bought an extender. Since then it has started dropping more. I wish I would't have been able to figure out the extender so I could take back the cheap one for another airport express.
Would an airport express fix the issue?
:apple:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I have the same problem, kind of. I just got my apple tv for christmas and it has been fine. Then a few days ago it started dropping it's homesharing connection. I know that the signal in my living room is weak, thick rebar filled concrete walls typical in asia, so when it started dropping I just chalked it up to the connection. I broke down and bought an extender. Since then it has started dropping more. I wish I would't have been able to figure out the extender so I could take back the cheap one for another airport express.
Would an airport express fix the issue?
:apple:
Probably not as your bandwidth is going to be further reduced by 2-way communication between the express and the base station. You don't mention whether your router is dual band wireless n. That would a minimum in your case (and for most of us). Also, you might want to consider a powerline adapter with interference by walls being a major headache.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.