Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Sorry if this has been asked. I searched and could find no answer in the forum or elsewhere.

Why does Apple TV upsample its audio from 44.1khz to 48khz? I ask because standard CD audio is at 44.1khz, and upsampling potentially impacts the original audio quality, even if almost undetectibly. Some audiophiles have noticed a difference and blame it on this.

Airport Express keeps its audio at 44.1khz as an original CD would have. I wonder if it has to do with how the sound is packaged with video, since Apple TV's main mission is video transmission, not audio in itself.

Last edited:

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Sorry if this has been asked. I searched and could find no answer in the forum or elsewhere.

Why does Apple TV upsample its audio from 44.1khz to 48khz? I ask because standard CD audio is at 44.1khz, and upsampling potentially impacts the original audio quality, even if almost undetectibly. Some audiophiles have noticed a difference and blame it on this.

Airport Express keeps its audio at 44.1khz as an original CD would have. I wonder if it has to do with how the sound is packaged with video, since Apple TV's main mission is video transmission, not audio in itself.

A lot of receivers will only accept 48khz Dolby Digital audio (for videos only, of course) in order to recognize it as such. I know my Denon will only allow you to select the Dolby Pro Logic II setting if the audio is in 48khz. I believe the Apple TV upsamples in order to fit this restriction for video, and ends up doing the same for audio as well regardless.

I have never looked, but you may want to check the Audio settings of the Apple TV to see if there is a setting that will allow you to change this.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
A lot of receivers will only accept 48khz Dolby Digital audio (for videos only, of course) in order to recognize it as such. I know my Denon will only allow you to select the Dolby Pro Logic II setting if the audio is in 48khz. I believe the Apple TV upsamples in order to fit this restriction for video, and ends up doing the same for audio as well regardless.

I have never looked, but you may want to check the Audio settings of the Apple TV to see if there is a setting that will allow you to change this.

Yes, thanks, the video with Dolby digital audio 48khz compatibility explanation makes sense. I didn't know this about Dolby receivers.

Apple TV does not allow a change of settings for upsampling rate. But in the end, I doubt there's any sound degradation of 44.1khz music that's noticable even by audiophile ears.

GilesM

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2008
My Apple Tv has suddenly started sending at 48khz instead of 4.1 since updating to iTunes 11.00. Not sure if this is due to any changes or perhaps I did not notice it previously. Either way i am happy about it. just wish iTunes and Apple TV combination would allow the higher sampling rates my DAC can handle (96Khz).. please Apple... pretty please...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.