Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
Hey guys,

First of all this forum is adictive (not good for the wallet).

After a disappointing first order with a ***** store I placed yesterday the order for a new MBA 13"/ i5/ 128GB SSD/ 8GB RAM.

As I am doing monstly video edit (daily basis for 2-3 hours after work) the MBA will be replacing my current veryyyyy slow Asus Eee :rolleyes:!

Now, I have seen on YT that the 2012 MBA works with FCP X, it just takes longer.

Now there were some threads about the MBA running hot when doing heavy stuff and I don't think there is anything heavier than video editing!

How will this effect my new MBA in the lngetivity and life expectancy?

Next summer I am planning to get a maxed our 27" iMac and the MBA will be used as second light machine for video edit and when going on vacation to be mobile.

What do you guys think? Anyone doing the same on his MBA?

Thanks!

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
I would have gone with the 256gb and i7 upgrades if you're doing heavy video editing. Higher SSD for video files that tend to take a lot of space, and the i7 because it's a notch more powerful than the i5. Not much, but will speed things up to the max on an MBA.

I'm sure the fans will kick in and it will get pretty hot. Macs run pretty warm, especially when pushing a machine to it's limit.

And for the record, there's plenty of heavier things than video editing.

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
I would have gone with the 256gb and i7 upgrades if you're doing heavy video editing. Higher SSD for video files that tend to take a lot of space, and the i7 because it's a notch more powerful than the i5. Not much, but will speed things up to the max on an MBA.

I'm sure the fans will kick in and it will get pretty hot. Macs run pretty warm, especially when pushing a machine to it's limit.

And for the record, there's plenty of heavier things than video editing.

Yeah, 3D animation is heavier.

I didn't want to go for the maxed out MBA as I am planning on getting the maxed out iMac in summer.

In addition I read that the i7 runs hotter than the i5 which I didn't want. I will either way get iStatPro to monitor the temperature and the fan speeds just in case.

I believe I should be fine and the only effect will be that it will take longer to render the videos.

For more space I will add a SanDisk Cruizer Fit with 32GB for quick additional space.

The MBA will be kept as empty as possible to not slow down the machine by being to filled up. After the videos are imported, edited and uploaded all will be moved to external hard drivers for back up. Therefore I don't need a 256GB SSD (I would take it, but it's too expensive).

So, in general I guess I should be fine, the rendering will just take bit longer, right?

Thanks!

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
I run FCP 7, so not x, but I am not having any heat issues when editing nor when transcoding, rendering heavier stuff in After Effects or the like.

Heat issues for me is when the CPU throttles due to it. It hasn't ever done that. In fact when it's only the CPU, and not the GPU that is under heavy load, the fan doesn't even seem to spin up to max.

I believe that the people having true, non imagined, heat issues must have faulty units and should get theirs replaced.

Last edited:

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
From what I've read (and unfortunately there hasn't been any true 13" benchmark tests). The i7 only runs hotter and drains quicker when under extreme heavy load. And it will complete the task quicker.

So the i5 and i7 are pretty much equal except when it is maxed out the i7 will kick into high gear quicker and get the job done faster at the cost of a little bit more heat and battery.

Boomhowler

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
The SD card will be really slow compared to the internal SSD, I'd advise from working on files located on the SD card. Just use it for long term storage.

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
Not SD card, flash memory USB drive, but the same thing. This would be only as last option if I run out of space when away while traveling!

But coming back to FXP X. How long does a 1 min. 1080p 30fps video render and export take on the MBA with the specs I have mentioned?

Thanks a lot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.