Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
Does anyone remember the Radius monitor from the 80's? It was an innovative monitor where the user can flip the monitor from landscape to portrait mode and the data automatically rearranged itself accordingly.

To me, this patent should be considered and if that patent is still in effect, then EVERYONE should be paying THEM a small licensing fee for the flipping of a phone or tablet from landscape to portrait.

BUT, if that patent has lapsed, then no one needs to pay anyone and the patent claims in this case should be retracted.

At least, that's what I would do if I were in a position to make a decision that aspect of this case.

ImageWrangler

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2007
upstate New York
So, are they going to go after Google for the Android phone? How about Windoze phones? Otherwise this is patent trolling, which is a load of BS.

Also I don't think it's cool with Apple sues others UNLESS it's valid, i.e. the whole Samsung copy machine that is their products, there is a line there to cross. Be original or get out.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
So, are they going to go after Google for the Android phone? How about Windoze phones? Otherwise this is patent trolling, which is a load of BS.

Sony makes Android phones, Nokia makes Windows Phones, since they are some of the IP holders in this firm, maybe those deals are already in place ?

Also I don't think it's cool with Apple sues others UNLESS it's valid, i.e. the whole Samsung copy machine that is their products, there is a line there to cross. Be original or get out.

Samsung were found to be infringing on the same type of patents as what was found here. Kind of an hypocrite position to adopt to be ok with Apple going against Samsung for this kind of patent infringement, but not of others going against Apple.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Does anyone remember the Radius monitor from the 80's? It was an innovative monitor where the user can flip the monitor from landscape to portrait mode and the data automatically rearranged itself accordingly.

To me, this patent should be considered and if that patent is still in effect, then EVERYONE should be paying THEM a small licensing fee for the flipping of a phone or tablet from landscape to portrait.

As you pointed out, a patent from the late 1980s would've expired 17 years later... about a half decade ago.

However, there have been cameras and phones since then that autorotated with orientation. For example, the 2003 MyOrigio phone:

2003_MyOrigio_rotate.png

Yes, MMI sued RIM and HTC at the same time.

As for chosing whom to sue, patent holders usually go after the money or competition. Apple does the same thing.

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
An Apple device infringes on a patent?

Must be a patent troll- the patent system is broken and flawed. :rolleyes:

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
So one of mobilemediaidea's "ideas" was a "camera phone"? Good lord.

Is this any less absurd than 'slide to unlock'? Apple has plenty of absurd patents.

----------

So according to the right wing trolls and Google, Apple is bad for suing to protect its patents, but when other companies sue Apple, it's ok. What a bunch of hypocrites.

I'm not right wing and think it's rather childish to make a blanket statement like that.

Apple is not protecting their patents, Apple is trying to kill their competitors with slime instead of substance.

I don't like patent trolls, be it Google, Apple, MS, or whoever.

What I *do* like is a company like Apple getting a taste of their own medicine.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
What's with the name calling? Are you a child?

Anyways, most of his points are accurate, so instead of calling him names, you should raise some valid points, if you have any.

Not name calling at all, just point out the facts. No need to get all offended about it.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Not name calling at all, just point out the facts. No need to get all offended about it.

That's hardly a fact. He didn't even mention Google or Android, so I don't know why you are calling him a "fandroid".

I'm not really offended but people here are too sensitive. You can't criticize an Apple product on some of the forums here without being called a fandroid. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if someone called you an iSheep for criticizing a non-Apple product.

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
Yeah I know, this Wikius guy sits here all day and just hates Apple constantly. Honestly, a patent on camera phones? That's every phone out there I think.

----------

"Redneck" is not a race, sorry.

Why are you sorry? I never stated it was a race. Re-read. Think.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Why are you sorry? I never stated it was a race. Re-read. Think.

You said "racist". Either you didn't know what "racist" means, or you thought "redneck" was a race, or you just called someone racist for no reason. I'd check the dictionary if I were you.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
It's clear that the only thing you enjoy is taking sides, not fairness.

This is simply a patent troll company. They don't make ANYTHING. Their entire website is about their so-called 'patents', and how to license them from them.

http://www.mobilemediaideas.com/patents.html

Look at all those laughable patents.

If Apple had those, you'd laugh at Apple, talking about how evil they are. But when another company uses these patents, it's ok? If 'Mobile Media Idea' made phones with these patents, okay, but they don't. They're just a patent troll.

Either say all the patents suck, or patents are good - but don't take sides just against Apple. It proves your signature is a joke. Your 'blind worship' is anti-Apple.

All these players seem to have patents we'd all be laughing at.

That's the new normal; the one with the most patents - and therefore the only one who can build the mousetraps - wins. Doesn't matter if they did the work to make the product, the little piece o' paper is what counts.

And I agree - to take sides just against Apple is ridiculous. Not when the larger issue (patent fraud and stifling innovation and competition and anybody trying to build a better mousetrap, not merely patent the concept of the trap (which is a trap)) is glaringly obvious.

----------

Be careful of throwing stones when you live in a glass house.

This suburbia of glass corporate houses must be difficult to walk around... is that a pond in the corner?

Why yes it is!

But why is the water that dark red color?

Because it's impossible to get around the broken glass and somebody else cashed in their patents covering shoes...

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
...sort of but not really kinda. It's an organization made up of a group of companies who do produce goods.

But...

...the whole point of the organization is for all these producing companies to pool their patent resources together so they can more easily sue the everliving crap out of just about everyone else in existence.

It's less a patent troll company and more a consortium of ****s.

And to everyone griping about rednecks and racial slurs. Please...shut up. It's pointless.

Yeah, it's not an independent company. I'm surprised these companies are doing this. It's really bad publicity. I was always a fan of Sony (not their PCs, gaming systems, and mobile phones but other stuff). Too bad my trusted company has to be a troll :(

----------

If you called me a redneck I would punch you right in the mouth.

You're not even a redneck if you live in southern California. I'm white and not a redneck, but I wouldn't care if anyone called me one even if I was a white Georgian, not the Caucasian nation but the US state.

Renzatic

Suspended
Yeah, it's not an independent company. I'm surprised these companies are doing this. It's really bad publicity. I was always a fan of Sony (not their PCs, gaming systems, and mobile phones but other stuff).

...so you liked their TV's and CD players? That's about all they make beyond the mentioned. :p

Too bad my trusted company has to be a troll

These days, I'd go so far as to say that just about every tech company currently operating has engaged in some form of patent trollish behavior. Sony, MPEG LA, Nokia and the rest have MobileMedia. Apple has used literal to the term patent trolls to fight proxy battles for them in the past. MS? Well, they're less patent trolls, more patent extortionists, it seems.

The whole patent scene has gone nigh haywire, and everyone is guilty to some degree.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
Yeah, it's not an independent company. I'm surprised these companies are doing this. It's really bad publicity. I was always a fan of Sony (not their PCs, gaming systems, and mobile phones but other stuff). Too bad my trusted company has to be a troll :(

It's no worse than Apple suing for Slide to Unlock.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Then why do you keep reading and posting? You will always attract more of that which you focus on.

I don't. First time I comment on a law suit article. Obviously I see the articles since I frequent MacRumors every day, but they've come to a point where they just annoy me. Hence the wish for a block. I know it's not gonna happen, but doesn't stop me from wishing I could have it.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Yeah, it's not an independent company. I'm surprised these companies are doing this. It's really bad publicity. I was always a fan of Sony (not their PCs, gaming systems, and mobile phones but other stuff). Too bad my trusted company has to be a troll

Why does it matter whether it's Sony suing Apple directly, or suing them through another company that holds their patents for them.

I think their way makes a lot of sense. These companies have set up a single patent holding company where anyone who wants to license their multimedia patents can go. And these companies still use the technology themselves, so it's not the usual non-practicing troll situation.

Plus this way you don't see big headlines like "Sony and Nokia sue Apple!" :)

PS. Before anyone objects to companies sitting behind fronts, don't forget that Apple hides behind many such companies in order to avoid taxes.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
any "patent warz" app on the appstore ? Will be nice to have a go to place for these news.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I'm so amused at reading these patent war discussions. Pro-Apple guys vs Against-Apple guys, and no one wins!!

Hahaha..

So, Apple has to pay up this time. Big whoop. So they get paid on other occasions. Again, big whoop.

As long as the war doesn't stop them from producing kick-ass stuff, I'm happy no matter who wins these things.

Given the quality of their products and their enormous war chest, I am not the least bit worried.

Now, Apple, give me a bigger (screen) phone, retina iPad mini, and a retina 17 MBP, please. I'll wait (I know...it might be a while).:p

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Yeah uhm no.

First the companies try to agree on royalties, guess what? Apple didnt pay.
Then they sued 2010, my guess is since Apple stalled on agreement for royalties. So now the court found them infringe.

Also, MMI is a collaboration between Sony and Nokia. Heard of Nokia?
http://www.nokia.com - one of worlds first makers of cellphones.

I am pretty sure their "idea" is legit.

Yes I have heard of Nokia, and I don't know if you know where being one of the first cellphone makers has gotten them but that's sure as hell not a good reputation today...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.