Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AstralShane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
I am looking to buy a Mac Mini and upgrading it's hard drive to a SSD. I don't plan on doing heavy gaming, video editing, etc. What I want to do:

* Play minimal games. (Minecraft, The Movies, etc)
* Minimal 3D work with Blender. (not looking to create the next Pixar film)
* Minimal movie editing. (Such as tutorials)

Will a Mini with a SSD (post upgrade) be able to do these things?

Thanks,
AstralShane.

AstralShane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Yeah that will be perfect.

Thanks.

I'm coming from a 2008 Intel iMac. (2.66GHz Dual Core, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon 2600 HD Pro 256MB). Needless to say, I'm coming from old hardware.

However, I'm going to turn my iMac into a iTunes media server once I get my Mac Mini.

Drharrington

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
Had good results with crucial m4 512 gb and owc data doubler. Easy install.

----------

Then run it as a fusion drive. Runs great.

AstralShane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013

----------

Thanks!

I have an external hard drive, so I'm not worried about space; and it's not like I'm storing TB's of data; All of my data takes up less than half of a 100GB Drop Box.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"The $799 Quad Core is the one I'm looking at."

You might consider paying a little more and get the 2.6ghz CPU upgrade.

For a good reseller, consider "portableone.com" (California).

I bought the i7 2.6ghz there, $860, free shipping, no tax charged to my state. Fast service, too.

If you'd rather not open up the case and pull everything out for now, you could also get a "bare" SSD drive, and a USB3/SATA "docking station". Check out the performance I get using a Plugable dock (ASMedia controller chip):

Attachments

• Speed Test USB3 Dock.png
    Speed Test USB3 Dock.png
    365 KB · Views: 110

Armeniandave

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
San Diego
An SSD is an excellent way to increase performance in the mini.
Just put in a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro and it is screaming fast!
Kept the 1tb drive in also for storage and upgraded to 16GB ram.

This little mini can do anything I throw at it. Super happy camper! :)

gundam83

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2008
"The $799 Quad Core is the one I'm looking at."

You might consider paying a little more and get the 2.6ghz CPU upgrade.

For a good reseller, consider "portableone.com" (California).

I bought the i7 2.6ghz there, $860, free shipping, no tax charged to my state. Fast service, too.

If you'd rather not open up the case and pull everything out for now, you could also get a "bare" SSD drive, and a USB3/SATA "docking station". Check out the performance I get using a Plugable dock (ASMedia controller chip):
Which dock is that?

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
An SSD is an excellent way to increase performance in the mini.
Just put in a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro and it is screaming fast!
Kept the 1tb drive in also for storage and upgraded to 16GB ram.

This little mini can do anything I throw at it. Super happy camper! :)

Great upgrade... I have a base i5 with a 128GB Crucial m4 and a 750GB WD Scorpio Black (set as a Fusion Drive) and 16GB RAM... Very pleased with the results.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
Great upgrade... I have a base i5 with a 128GB Crucial m4 and a 750GB WD Scorpio Black (set as a Fusion Drive) and 16GB RAM... Very pleased with the results.
What sort of performance are you seeing from this setup? I'm considering the same to replace a 2.4GHz C2D iMac.

RealEyes

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012

How do you 'set as a fusion drive'? Can you do this with the software?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
How do you 'set as a fusion drive'? Can you do this with the software?
This kills all info on the 2 internal drives have copies
yes just put in the ssd unformatted. and whatever for the hdd. 2 drives in the mini the ssd must have not been formatted.

then restart computer with command r for internet recovery once you are on the recovery page call up disk utility. wait i will post a photo. it will come up and tell you your fusion drive is broken repair it? click yes and the 2 internal drive will fuse. then go back to osx utilites and pick reinstall osx. your internal will have a new fresh install as a fusion

Attachments

• IMG_2460.JPG
    IMG_2460.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2455.JPG
    IMG_2455.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2457.JPG
    IMG_2457.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 106

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012

----------

The owc data doubler is awesome!

My question is, if I have an iMac with 1TB of storage, what would I install on the SSD? Just the OS and apps? Then just have my 1TB used as storage?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Which dock is that?"

This is the one I'm using:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00APP6694...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00APP6694
NOTE: This is a "lay flat" type dock, sized to hold a 3.5" drive. It's a little "oversized" with the 2.5" SSD drive in it, but I have an out-of-the-way place on my desk for it, and I like the idea that the drive isn't "standing up" as with other docks.

Plugable also offers this style dock:
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Dock...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B003UI62AG
…. if you like the vertical orientation better. Speed should be comparable.

If you'd like a "full enclosure", this one looks good, and it has the same Asmedia 1053E controller as in the lay-flat dock above:
http://oyendigital.com/hard-drives/store/U32-M.html

Prices are all about the same.
It really comes down to which form factor you prefer...

Drharrington

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
Dinggus- that's the reason to format as a fusion drive -- you then you don't have to rack your brain trying to figure out what on SSD and what on HDD... OSX just does it -- and I have not seen but maybe a slight drop off on speeds... maybe slight -- not much -- like having a 1TB ssd... you would have the 1tb + whatever size on the SSD as one drive with all of it with SSD like speeds

----------

The owc data doubler is awesome!

My question is, if I have an iMac with 1TB of storage, what would I install on the SSD? Just the OS and apps? Then just have my 1TB used as storage?

See my post.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Dinggus- that's the reason to format as a fusion drive -- you then you don't have to rack your brain trying to figure out what on SSD and what on HDD... OSX just does it -- and I have not seen but maybe a slight drop off on speeds... maybe slight -- not much -- like having a 1TB ssd... you would have the 1tb + whatever size on the SSD as one drive with all of it with SSD like speeds

----------

See my post.

Okay so this fusion function makes a non-SSD drive "act" like an SSD?

Do only the 2012's have this Fusion function? I've never seen it when formatting my drives.

Drharrington

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
Okay so this fusion function makes a non-SSD drive "act" like an SSD?

Do only the 2012's have this Fusion function? I've never seen it when formatting my drives.

Google homemade fusion drive and there's a ton out there. It would appear it only shows up in OSX in disk utility if your 2012 or later, however, you can setup via terminal commands as its built into OSX. Many report this successfully.

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
Google homemade fusion drive and there's a ton out there. It would appear it only shows up in OSX in disk utility if your 2012 or later, however, you can setup via terminal commands as its built into OSX. Many report this successfully.

There is no OS UI for this... If you don't order it from the factory, you need to use the terminal version of Disk Utility from 10.8.2 of a 2012 mini or iMac.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
How does bootcamp work with a fusion drive? What about fusing a 256 gig SSD instead of a 128 gig? does it use the full 256? Would it automatically fuse in a 2011 mac mini? I've been considering SSD for a while now.

Last edited:

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
There is no OS UI for this... If you don't order it from the factory, you need to use the terminal version of Disk Utility from 10.8.2 of a 2012 mini or iMac.

1/2 right. If you boot to a 10.8.2 version of disk utility it will auto detect both drives and "fix" your fusion drive. Aka GUI version

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
How does bootcamp work with a fusion drive? What about fusing a 256 gig SSD instead of a 128 gig? does it use the full 256? Would it automatically fuse in a 2011 mac mini? I've been considering SSD for a while now.

Can't comment on bootcamp, I use virtualization for my Windows needs... But you can use ANY size SSD in a Fusion Drive setup, OS X will use the whole thing.

----------

1/2 right. If you boot to a 10.8.2 version of disk utility it will auto detect both drives and "fix" your fusion drive. Aka GUI version

No, only if the drives have previously been fused... Will not do anything on a new install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.