Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:07 PM   #1
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Newegg Corsair Vengeance 16GB for 89.99 Until 3:00 PM EST

Eggsaver special right now
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233265

Prices have gone up lately, so this is "cheap" in comparison....
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:34 AM   #2
eyepea
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
Eggsaver special right now
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233265

Prices have gone up lately, so this is "cheap" in comparison....
Nice price.

I have the same RAM in my 2012 i7 2.6Ghz Quad and 2011 Server i7 2.0Ghz Quad.

Very solid workhorse.
eyepea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:39 AM   #3
SoCalReviews
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
It must have been a one day sale. The Newegg link shows $109.99 USD in my browser right now. I checked Amazon and it shows $109.99 for that memory also.

It's ok. I bought 16BG Kingston HyperX before it went up last week.

Last edited by SoCalReviews; Mar 23, 2013 at 05:44 AM.
SoCalReviews is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:50 AM   #4
Giuly
macrumors 68040
 
Giuly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Amazon had it for the same price until a couple of hours ago, now it's back to $109. But newegg is at $109 now, too. Both offer free shipping, so pick your poison.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 06:27 AM   #5
paulrbeers
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalReviews View Post
It must have been a one day sale. The Newegg link shows $109.99 USD in my browser right now. I checked Amazon and it shows $109.99 for that memory also.

It's ok. I bought 16BG Kingston HyperX before it went up last week.
Yeah it was one of their Shell Shocker deals that only lasts a short while (notice in my title it said until 3:00 PM EST). The price compared to a few months ago is only "okay", but over the last couple of months all 16GB kits have gone up about $15-20.
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 08:27 PM   #6
gnopx
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Works perfect on my mini! But others people have some issues...
gnopx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:14 PM   #7
SoCalReviews
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
Yeah it was one of their Shell Shocker deals that only lasts a short while (notice in my title it said until 3:00 PM EST). The price compared to a few months ago is only "okay", but over the last couple of months all 16GB kits have gone up about $15-20.
That was a great deal for Corsair Vengeance while it lasted.

Just a note...I noticed Newegg and Amazon have been offering a newer version of Kingston 16GB PC312800 CL9 HyperX sticks rated at 1.35v/1.5v compared to the standard 1.5v ones we have been used to seeing posted about here. They cost a little more though.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Techn.../dp/B009W0ZFUY
SoCalReviews is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:46 AM   #8
MinkyMomo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalReviews View Post
That was a great deal for Corsair Vengeance while it lasted.

Just a note...I noticed Newegg and Amazon have been offering a newer version of Kingston 16GB PC312800 CL9 HyperX sticks rated at 1.35v/1.5v compared to the standard 1.5v ones we have been used to seeing posted about here. They cost a little more though.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Techn.../dp/B009W0ZFUY
I'm waiting for mine to arrive... bought them from Provantage.
MinkyMomo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:29 AM   #9
SoCalReviews
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkyMomo View Post
I'm waiting for mine to arrive... bought them from Provantage.
Let us know how the 1.35v/1.5v Kingston HyperX works out on your Mac.
SoCalReviews is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:50 AM   #10
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalReviews View Post
Let us know how the 1.35v/1.5v Kingston HyperX works out on your Mac.
my newer model sticks arrived on fri.

paper label no heatsink they seem to be very good with my 2012 I7 2.3 quad.

I await this ssd to be released


http://www.crucial.com/store/Product...130325114726:s


will use this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...REG&q=1&A=cart

and 3 of these

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Internal.html

should be very nice very powerful setup
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:40 AM   #11
SoCalReviews
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
my newer model sticks arrived on fri.

paper label no heatsink they seem to be very good with my 2012 I7 2.3 quad.
I haven't tried the 1.5v ones in my new business i7 2.3Ghz Mini but I will this week. It doesn't make much difference but if I had known about the 1.35v sticks I might have ordered those instead. The only problem is that there isn't much of track record for reviews on the 1.35v HyperX sticks and the 1.5v version reviews have been stellar. Let us know how they continue to run for you... stability, testing, etc..

Last edited by SoCalReviews; Mar 25, 2013 at 07:50 AM.
SoCalReviews is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:40 AM   #12
paulrbeers
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
my newer model sticks arrived on fri.

paper label no heatsink they seem to be very good with my 2012 I7 2.3 quad.

I await this ssd to be released


http://www.crucial.com/store/Product...130325114726:s


will use this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...REG&q=1&A=cart

and 3 of these

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Internal.html

should be very nice very powerful setup
I've probably missed your post on this, but are you thinking about doing some kind of massive external fusion drive with the SSD + 3 Hard drives?
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:27 AM   #13
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
I've probably missed your post on this, but are you thinking about doing some kind of massive external fusion drive with the SSD + 3 Hard drives?
no.

i will boot with the ssd. use the internal hdd as a clone. use 1 of the 3 1tb hdds in the j4 as a tm. raid0 the other 2 1tb hdds for fast storage. 5tb. storage in a space the size of 2 stacked minis. the j4 is roughly the same size as a mini. pretty much what a small powerhouse is all about. when the haswell comes I will sell the 2012 quad and have a better small powerhouse .
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:19 PM   #14
Giuly
macrumors 68040
 
Giuly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
my newer model sticks arrived on fri.

paper label no heatsink they seem to be very good with my 2012 I7 2.3 quad.

I await this ssd to be released


http://www.crucial.com/store/Product...130325114726:s


will use this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...REG&q=1&A=cart

and 3 of these

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Internal.html

should be very nice very powerful setup
"My sources" tell my that the Crucial M500 will arrive in 2-3 weeks.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:40 PM   #15
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
"My sources" tell my that the Crucial M500 will arrive in 2-3 weeks.
thank you I am looking forward to ordering the big one.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:00 PM   #16
MinkyMomo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
1.35v HyperX works just fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalReviews View Post
Let us know how the 1.35v/1.5v Kingston HyperX works out on your Mac.
Just installed 16GB of 1.35v HyperX in my late 2012 Mac mini 2.6 with stock 1TB platter drive...

Safari just flies, and my Geekbench 2 memory and stream numbers rose from 6669/6397 to 7089/7124, respectively. I'm pleased... If I hadn't paid just USD 51 for AppleCare (it was on special), I might more strongly consider putting in a Samsung 840 Pro... too bad I missed today's sale on the Egg...
MinkyMomo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:08 PM   #17
bagelche
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Mass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkyMomo View Post
If I hadn't paid just USD 51 for AppleCare (it was on special), I might more strongly consider putting in a Samsung 840 Pro... too bad I missed today's sale on the Egg...
Where was that applecare deal (even if expired?). Thanks.
bagelche is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 06:28 PM   #18
MinkyMomo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelche View Post
Where was that applecare deal (even if expired?). Thanks.
It was on B&H and was bundled with my Mac mini purchase. Perhaps it was a loss leader... it sure worked on me

Last edited by MinkyMomo; Mar 29, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
MinkyMomo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 03:57 PM   #19
Acorn
macrumors 68020
 
Acorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fangorn Forest
sigh. it went from 89.00 to 109.00 to 112.00. im going to see if they offer anything on easter. otherwise who knows how high it will go.
Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:18 PM   #20
SoCalReviews
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelche View Post
Where was that applecare deal (even if expired?). Thanks.
In case you didn't already know this information... B&H and Amazon sell separate (not bundled) 2 year extension AppleCare Protection Care packs that you can purchase and apply to your Mac up to a year after your original new Mac purchase date (can not be applied for Macs past that one year date). I believe the B&H AppleCare pack cost for the Mini is currently $104 and I have seen Amazon's AppleCare price as low as $125 but it is currently listed for about $136. Just make sure you specifically purchase the AppleCare pack for your exact model of Mac such as the Mini, iMac, etc..

http://www.amazon.com/AppleCare-Prot...dp/B004QWU1H0/

Last edited by SoCalReviews; Mar 30, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
SoCalReviews is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:49 PM   #21
SoCalReviews
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkyMomo View Post
Just installed 16GB of 1.35v HyperX in my late 2012 Mac mini 2.6 with stock 1TB platter drive...

Safari just flies, and my Geekbench 2 memory and stream numbers rose from 6669/6397 to 7089/7124, respectively. I'm pleased... If I hadn't paid just USD 51 for AppleCare (it was on special), I might more strongly consider putting in a Samsung 840 Pro... too bad I missed today's sale on the Egg...
It's good to know the 1.35v HyperX modules are working well. Those specials come up and then disappear fast.
SoCalReviews is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:39 PM   #22
bagelche
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Mass.
Thanks SoCal and MinkiMomo. I was already planning on getting it at B&H for $104, but some bucks less is some bucks less. Can't complain on their price as it is.
bagelche is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 07:13 AM   #23
fhall1
macrumors 68020
 
fhall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY State of mind
Newegg has this Crucial memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148614
for $104.99 with 10% off using code EMCXTVP44 until 4/1

comes to $94.49, no tax and free 2 day ShopRunner shipping

Note: it is CAS 11
__________________
2012 2.3GHz i7 Mini, 16GB RAM; 2009 2.93 GHz C2D iMac, 8GB RAM, GT120 GPU
1.83 GHz CD Mini, 2GB RAM, 200GB HD; 1.25 GHz 17" G4 iMac, 2GB RAM, 128GB SSD
64GB Silver iPhone 5s, 64GB White iPad Air
fhall1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz AirDropped1 MacBook Pro 1 Apr 4, 2013 10:04 AM
Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz CL10 & Kingston HyperX PnP 1600MHz CL9 16GB + Mac Mini 2012 magebarf Mac mini 23 Jan 22, 2013 07:59 AM
Anyone has the Corsair 16GB Vengeance Performance So-Dimm 1600MH? MaxPower72 MacBook Pro 3 Sep 23, 2012 04:46 PM
Corsair Vengeance 8gb igiboi MacBook Pro 15 Jul 20, 2012 01:24 PM
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) ScottishSkater MacBook Pro 16 Jun 6, 2012 09:46 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC