Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pete2662

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2013
Registered to say TRUE/FALSE nor YES/NO worked for me.
Instead mine was 0 and 1
Tried
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles 0
and it worked (this shows files, replace 0 with 1 and it goes back to hidden)

Rabert

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
"defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE" has worked for me every time. Just make sure you restart Finder as well.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
"defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE" has worked for me every time. Just make sure you restart Finder as well.

There's something really not right here. I have tried every permutation in this thread (and I'm paying very close attention to capitalization). I cannot for the life of me get hidden files to show under any circumstances. This is on a late 2013 iMac that shipped with Mountain Lion and was updated to Mavericks.

I'm not a guru but also not a terminal newb. I'm restarting Finder after each try and nothing is working.

I think there's more to this problem than meets the eye.

UPDATE: I've also just downloaded the OnyX app for Mavericks and tried to make it show the hidden files. Also doesn't work.

Last edited:

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
There's something really not right here. I have tried every permutation in this thread (and I'm paying very close attention to capitalization). I cannot for the life of me get hidden files to show under any circumstances. This is on a late 2013 iMac that shipped with Mountain Lion and was updated to Mavericks.

I'm not a guru but also not a terminal newb. I'm restarting Finder after each try and nothing is working.

I think there's more to this problem than meets the eye.

UPDATE: I've also just downloaded the OnyX app for Mavericks and tried to make it show the hidden files. Also doesn't work.

Could be that something is wrong with your com.apple.finder file

What's listed when you type
Code:
defaults [I][COLOR="Red"]read[/COLOR][/I] com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles

If I recall right 0 is off(false) and 1 is on(true).

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Could be that something is wrong with your com.apple.finder file

What's listed when you type
Code:
defaults [I][COLOR="Red"]read[/COLOR][/I] com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles

If I recall right 0 is off(false) and 1 is on(true).

I think you've hit upon the problem here.

The iMac I bought only has a 256 GB SSD, so I moved my home folder over to a Thunderbolt drive.

When I type defaults read com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles, I get the following:

2013-11-27 14:00:48.627 defaults[849:507]
The domain/default pair of (/Volumes/Storage HD/Users/matthewcathell/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder, AppleShowAllFiles) does not exist​

Easy fix, right? Can someone help me get a clue?

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
I think you've hit upon the problem here.

The iMac I bought only has a 256 GB SSD, so I moved my home folder over to a Thunderbolt drive.

When I type defaults read com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles, I get the following:

2013-11-27 14:00:48.627 defaults[849:507]
The domain/default pair of (/Volumes/Storage HD/Users/matthewcathell/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder, AppleShowAllFiles) does not exist​

Easy fix, right? Can someone help me get a clue?

Hard for me to say as I've never moved my home folder off the boot volume.

I'd just assume that the AppleShowAllFiles key doesn't exist but it should be written when you do a write.

Could be a permissions issue or something to do with the moved home folder.

To check if it's a permissions issue, what's the output of

Code:
ls -al /Volumes/Storage\ HD/Users/matthewcathell/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
ls: /Volumes/Storage HD/Users/matthewcathell/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder: No such file or directory

Okay well it sounds like it just doesn't exist for some reason

How about line by line in one term window:

Code:
cd /Volumes/Storage\ HD/Users/matthewcathell/Library/Preferences/
touch com.apple.finder
chmod 755 com.apple.finder
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true
killall Finder

Probably doesn't need the chmod 755 but I'm not on osx right now and can't check the permissions of my file.

Also just a general note to everyone you don't need to relaunch finder to see hidden files in Mav. Just open an new finder window/tab(or refresh the current view) and hidden files will show.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Okay well it sounds like it just doesn't exist for some reason

How about line by line in one term window:

Code:
cd /Volumes/Storage\ HD/Users/matthewcathell/Library/Preferences/
touch com.apple.finder
chmod 755 com.apple.finder
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true
killall Finder

Probably doesn't need the chmod 755 but I'm not on osx right now and can't check the permissions of my file.

Also just a general note to everyone you don't need to relaunch finder to see hidden files in Mav. Just open an new finder window/tab(or refresh the current view) and hidden files will show.

ScreenShot2013-11-27at25915PM_zpsa60147d5.png

No dice, I'm afraid.

Just for fun, I logged into the Guest user account (which is still located on the Boot drive). Of course the hidden file terminal command worked just fine there.

I'll also add that when I moved my home folder onto the Thunderbolt drive, I used instruction like these to choose the Home directory location through the System Preferences Users & Groups window.

Sooooo... the whole reason I needed to see hidden files was because I was installing Mavericks on my unsupported Mac Pro 1,1 and needed to do some editing to the USB Mavericks installer. I ended up doing that on one of my other machines. The Mac Pro is now running Mavericks, beautifully I might add (and the people rejoiced).

The immediate need for seeing hidden files on my iMac is now gone. However, I am a little concerned that this seemingly simple terminal command doesn't work. It makes me fear that there might be other hidden issues that haven't manifested themselves yet. Should I worry?

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
The immediate need for seeing hidden files on my iMac is now gone. However, I am a little concerned that this seemingly simple terminal command doesn't work. It makes me fear that there might be other hidden issues that haven't manifested themselves yet.

Should I worry?

Nope, I wouldn't worry.

As a last test to get it working you could just try copying the file from the guest accounts preferences fold to your preferences folder.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Nope, I wouldn't worry.

As a last test to get it working you could just try copying the file from the guest accounts preferences fold to your preferences folder.

Thank you for all the help.

Here's the resolution that I've come up with:

From a bunch of reading from Apple discussion boards and elsewhere, I found that moving the Home folder off the boot drive (even doing it the "correct" way) seems to often lead to unexpected behaviors. I just don't want to mess with any of that.

So, what I did was move my Home folder back to the boot drive, but I didn't move every single subfolder back. I kept some key folders (like Documents, Movies, Pictures, Dropbox, etc.) on the Thunderbolt drive. I then just set up symbolic links to those folders within Home.

Seems like this is the best of both worlds solution for me. I get to keep all the bulky stuff off my SSD and on my Thunderbolt, but I get to keep the Home Library folder on the boot drive.

Everything seems to be working smoothly and the terminal command to show hidden folders now works just as intended.

robman74

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2010
'Re-hide' files?

Hello,

I'm kind of a newbie and the need for me to see my hidden files is now gone so I'd like to re-hide them. I tried disabling the shell script in automator and restarting but that didn't work. What do I need to do in order to re-hide all of the hidden files?

Thanks!

Robbie

silby101

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2003
Thank you for all the help.

Here's the resolution that I've come up with:

From a bunch of reading from Apple discussion boards and elsewhere, I found that moving the Home folder off the boot drive (even doing it the "correct" way) seems to often lead to unexpected behaviors. I just don't want to mess with any of that.

Thanks for posting that, this is what was happening to me, and you saved me a lot of time! Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.